battery hold downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery hold downs

I knew when I got back from JDP's last Sunday that there was a question I wanted to post, but it took me all week to remember it

I think I may convert my '55 to the later style battery tray so I can use a larger battery than will fit in the old 6V battery box. I have everything but the hold down bolts, wing nuts, etc. ISTR that someone had made some nice repros of these (and that I'd actually bought some for one of my previous cars) but don't remember who/where. Can someone tell me who I need to call to get this done?

thanks,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I think I may convert my '55 to the later style battery tray so I can use a larger battery than will fit in the old 6V battery box. I have everything [u]but the hold down bolts, wing nuts, etc.</u> ISTR that someone had made some nice repros of these (and that I'd actually bought some for one of my previous cars) but don't remember who/where. Can someone tell me who I need to call to get this done?
    thanks,
    As you likely know there were several different holddown bolts used with later style battery trays. Which design were you looking for[?]

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

I thought there was a Forum ban on battery holddown discussion?[}][}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23-25, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

I thought there was only one battery tray design from 56-64 at least for C-K's?

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

There's a guy on EBay selling battery boxes made of STAINLESS STEEL with a cover. Seems like overkill to me. Wonder what's wrong with the batteries he has or thinks we have.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Nate,

The easiest thing to use to hold a battery in place is: an old leather belt!!!

FlatheadGeo

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

All the J bolts were the same, but there are several styles of frames/hold downs.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

All the J bolts were the same, but there are several styles of frames/hold downs.

JDP/Maryland

Comment

No idea what this is worth; it's an impulse buy:

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Nothing Studebaker about it that I can see, just a older, semi universal unit.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

That hold down looks like it would work fine, just aftermarket instead of Original.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
                        yes, I've seen them and at least some are quite nice - but which vendors? I'm having serious brain fade and was hoping someone would remember off the top of their head. At least one vendor used to sell ones that were darn near identical to the originals, and I know I bought a pair for something once, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was! I probably picked them up at one of the swap meets (York, SB, or Reedsville)

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

N8, we bought them at a local meet, maybe the zone meet. I too, do not have a clue who it was. It was the meet Ted lost a fuel pump on his truck.

JDP/Maryland
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                          X