Flickering Headlight Switch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering Headlight Switch???

Does anyone have a fix for a flickering headlight switch on my 64 Wagonaire? The terminals seem to be firm. The connection on the power looks OK too. Its the rocker style switch.
    It gets a little dicey driving at night with headlights going on and off at will.

sals54
    sals54

Sal, are you sure it is the switch? '64s had a known problem with circuit breakers being just borderline adequate; '63s, too. If the headlamps have been upgraded to halogen seal beams, or E-code lights, the breaker will often start cycling after they've been on a few minutes. Best solution is headlight relays, mounted up front near the lamps.

Even if it is the switch, adding headlight relays will lessen the load on the contacts, and prolong its useful life. As a plus, your lights will be brighter.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Sal: I see that the car has four headlights. A number of 4-headlight 1964s left South Bend with 2-headlight breakers installed.

A bulletin went out when the production line error was discovered, but maybe yours was one of them and the original owner didn't return to have the correct 4-headlight breaker installed. (Sorry; I don't have the bulletin handy or I'd post the correct circuit breaker part number. Perhaps someone else will.)

And Gord has a good idea about relays, too. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The circuit breaker that Bob is talking about is part number 1688932, as recommended in service letter number J-1963-13 of April 1963. That said, I'd recommend going with Gord's recommendation. A 20 amp breaker is barely adequate for a four headlight system, and is not enough if you've installed halogen headlights. Even if you replace the stock breaker, I'd recommend you take the output of the stock breaker and plug it onto the switch plug of an aftermarket 30 or 40 amp breaker. Feed the aftermarket breaker directly (via a fusible link or fuse) from the battery or hot side of the starter solenoid.

Despite all of the above, it's also possible that your light switch is going bad. Replacing the breaker will not fix a bad switch, but it will lengthen the life of a good one.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Check the dimmer switch also. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Sal, that white wagon is for daytime driving. The white serves you well in these triple-digit temperatures. Your coupe is stealthy black in color - drive that one at night.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sal, I'd hate for you to have any problems with that car. I'll send you a check for $500 and pick it up next week. I promise it will only be driven in daylight...[)][}]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Does anyone have a fix for a flickering headlight switch on my 64 Wagonaire? The terminals seem to be firm. The connection on the power looks OK too. Its the rocker style switch.
                It gets a little dicey driving at night with headlights going on and off at will.
                Both my '64 Daytonas have pulled that trick on me too- just too much juice for the circuit breaker. Last time was on a lonely country road with no moon- wife used a keychain LED flashlight shining through the windshield to illuminate the road and I had the right turn signal flashing to see the ditch. Nothing like John Wherry of the Keystone Chapter- his '64 Daytona convertible lights went out on our Potomac Chapter Fall Tour to the WV mountains. He was by himself on a very winding and narrow mountain road when it happened to him.[xx(]
                I have found that they don't go out when you leave them on low beams.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I am glad to see this thread. My 63 cruiser has pulled this trick. First time on a winding mt. road. luckily I was being followed. I replaced the breaker and quit using high beams but it happened again recently on low beams. Knowing that it is an inherent problem tell me to look beyond the simple solution. Thanks
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X