Interesting 51 Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting 51 Custom

I can't tell if the text indicates this is finished or not, but it is interesting

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
    1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Besides being a 'woodie' of sorts- this one looks a "little bit" like a car I remember drooling all over at a SW Zone Meet up in Bakersfield many moons ago~ but that car was 'done' and very, very nicely done at that!!! Dude was really proud of it as I recall...

StudeDave [8D]
    San Diego, Ca.
    San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Actually went to the Auction today thinking I was going to bid on it. Once there, what was there was only a shell, even the sides were just thin sheets of plywood. The roofline and trunk area had the start of a wood frame, but with nothing else but a frame and a 4 link ford rear axle with no pumpkin, the starting bid of $10K was just for the "concept". I left early, bidding on that car won't be until 7:15-7:30PM PDT.

The concept is quite nice, but the daunting task of getting the wood done right will require some BIG$$$ and BIG Talent.

Comment

Wow how cool does that look. Alot of money though for something that is only half done

Michael Pink
        Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
        1955 Commander Coupe
        1961 Lark Cruiser
        1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Austrlaia Website
        Michael Pink
        Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
        1961 Lark Cruiser
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
        http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

It sold for $26k.

I'm not sure that is totally out of line.

That thing is really proportioned beautifully. So many Kustoms don't nail it like this one does. You can start from scratch...MAYBE come in a few bucks less...but you'd have to be an excellent artist and craftsman to match the look of this car.

I hope to see it finished some day.

Reminds me somewhat of Posies Extremeliner...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I do like the fastback look of it.

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The "concept" was beautiful, the proportions correct, but it was just a shell(luan) with clamps holding everything together. If you've got pictures, you've got the concept. No drivetrain, no floorpan, nothing from the front clip to the rear axle. Tricky part is getting a Master Craftsman "cabinet maker" who can talk(communicate) with a metal shaper, who can talk to a mechanic, who can talk to a painter.........you get the picture. Getting this one completed is a big buck operation for the "Foose" type of shops. I look forward to seeing it completed, but I don't expect to see it for several years based on the starting point.

Most everything at the RM auction went for "top dollar". The '23 Miller Racer went for over $2M almost double expectations. No evidence of a turndown in the economy here in SoCal. Can't wait for the Astor Collection auction in two weeks, that where the big buck Classics will be re-distributed to the nouveau-rich. I'll be in line, but probably at the back.

Comment

Beautiful design, but I would hate to be paying what it will take to make a running, functional car out of it.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I expect the fellows over at "Wood'n'Carr" could finish it off.
                  For a pretty penny, of course.

Chris Pile
                  Midway Chapter SDC
                  The Studebaker Special
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                  X