This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great time at Reedsville!!

Well worth the 5 hr. (each way!) drive! Bought a BUNCH of stuff, looked at a lot more, and best of all met a lot of neat Stude folks!!

Bought some small pieces and literature from John Karkiewicz (sp?) and talked about racing; Found a piece of tape on the floor with Dan Peterson's name- turned out to be Jim Lawrence, who will likely be doing all the interior panels for both my current projects (great story about his son's 65 Daytona breaking down[B)]); great time with and lots of info from BondoBilly and his lovely bodyguard; Amazing selection of gorgeous plated parts on Bill Cathcart's tables; Got some great pieces and requested more from Jim Heiple; and got a brake kit for the Lark- plus a couple hours of great conversation- from Jim Turner, a great, fun guy with whom I have a lot in common![8D]

EVERY person I met there was great- wish I'd gotten to meet more! Kinda hard to do, seeing I didn't know anyone by sight [:I] Missed out on meeting Dan Peterson, Gary Hearn, JDP, Nate, and probably a few others from here who were there and it didn't work out; oh well, York's not that far off...

Got some stuff I needed for a good price, learned a lot from some sharp Stude folks, and made some great source connections for stuff I'm gonna need... what could be better?!? [^][^]

Thank you all; you're a great bunch, and you'll have to get used to me being in the Stude world temporarily- I figure another 50 years or so..... I look forward to seeing you all again, and meeting the ones I didn't get to this time!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Glad to hear you had a great time at Reedsville; I just got home, my
    'need' list completely crossed off and the 'wish list' nicely dented... I always find more stuff at Reedsville than at any other swap meet I attend...and the folks there are just the best!

51 Commander State Sedan
    Worthington PA

51 Commander State Sedan
    Butler PA

Comment

Glad to hear you had a great time at Reedsville; I just got home, my
      'need' list completely crossed off and the 'wish list' nicely dented... I always find more stuff at Reedsville than at any other swap meet I attend...and the folks there are just the best!

51 Commander State Sedan
      Worthington PA

51 Commander State Sedan
      Butler PA

Comment

Maybe one sixth the size of York, Reedsville is a bit more laid back.

The swapmeet is where you'll find all the really good stuff, as well as all the little necessities that will never be advertised in TURNING WHEELS or offerred on ebay.

In the densely Studebaker populated Northeast, Reedsville fills that niche that immediately precedes putting the car behind the door and tackling all those projects that the driving season has exposed.

At any swapmeet, inquiring about the parts that are not there or the problems to be solved, elicits leads to the procurement or solution.

These vendors are good guys that wish us well and should be properly supported. Most of them don't make much, if any, profit. They are there because they enjoy it.

Buy what you need from NAPA, Advance or Carquest but support our vendors. These are the good guys.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Maybe one sixth the size of York, Reedsville is a bit more laid back.

The swapmeet is where you'll find all the really good stuff, as well as all the little necessities that will never be advertised in TURNING WHEELS or offerred on ebay.

In the densely Studebaker populated Northeast, Reedsville fills that niche that immediately precedes putting the car behind the door and tackling all those projects that the driving season has exposed.

At any swapmeet, inquiring about the parts that are not there or the problems to be solved, elicits leads to the procurement or solution.

These vendors are good guys that wish us well and should be properly supported. Most of them don't make much, if any, profit. They are there because they enjoy it.

Buy what you need from NAPA, Advance or Carquest but support our vendors. These are the good guys.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Bams,

Gary Ash and I were there, but we never did come across you. I did see JDP as he was hollering to N8N that he was bored and it was time to go. Ran into Paul Johnson (53K) this morning and Leonard Shepherd (lstude) was there yesterday.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bams,

Gary Ash and I were there, but we never did come across you. I did see JDP as he was hollering to N8N that he was bored and it was time to go. Ran into Paul Johnson (53K) this morning and Leonard Shepherd (lstude) was there yesterday.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

This year was the first in probably five years I went to Reedsville, and was glad I did. Took Ed Davies from Akron with me. I didn't buy a thing though, but got some "old car" action in before winter, which is what I wanted to do. I thought I saw one side of a two-sided "Lark By Studebaker" sign marked at $125 on Friday. I hemmed and hawed about whether I should pay that or not. (You know what they say about Studebaker people!) When I went to look at it Sat., I had apparently GROSSLY misread the price Friday, as it was marked at $1,800!!!! That sealed THAT decision!

I had never been to Max Corkins' place before. I was glad I went. Free roam of the shop, beer for only a donation, and a '60's rock'n' roll band with Max on the keyboards! I think he deserves a lot of credit for hosting that all at his place, free of charge, and every year, too. I made sure to thank him in person.

On Sat. outside in the lot, there was a SeaSpray Green (spring color) '63 Cruiser with chestnut (most people consider it "Rose Mist") interior. Car was pretty nice, not perfect. It was a clone of a beautiful car owned by one of our Ohio Region members, Bill Brown. And some of our club have told him that there was no way Studebaker put that exterior color with that interior color...and here was ANOTHER one!!

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

This year was the first in probably five years I went to Reedsville, and was glad I did. Took Ed Davies from Akron with me. I didn't buy a thing though, but got some "old car" action in before winter, which is what I wanted to do. I thought I saw one side of a two-sided "Lark By Studebaker" sign marked at $125 on Friday. I hemmed and hawed about whether I should pay that or not. (You know what they say about Studebaker people!) When I went to look at it Sat., I had apparently GROSSLY misread the price Friday, as it was marked at $1,800!!!! That sealed THAT decision!

I had never been to Max Corkins' place before. I was glad I went. Free roam of the shop, beer for only a donation, and a '60's rock'n' roll band with Max on the keyboards! I think he deserves a lot of credit for hosting that all at his place, free of charge, and every year, too. I made sure to thank him in person.

On Sat. outside in the lot, there was a SeaSpray Green (spring color) '63 Cruiser with chestnut (most people consider it "Rose Mist") interior. Car was pretty nice, not perfect. It was a clone of a beautiful car owned by one of our Ohio Region members, Bill Brown. And some of our club have told him that there was no way Studebaker put that exterior color with that interior color...and here was ANOTHER one!!

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    Do you mean the internally illuminated (back lit) two sided Lark sign that is about six feet long? I sold my complete, working one of those to C. Studebaker for $40 and included delivery to Reedsville (probably mid-'80s). When I noticed that the bottom of the case had gotten rusty, I offered to give him half his money back. Mine was used on DiNapoli-Salicco Studebaker dealership in Beacon, NY for a short time. When they took on Dodge, along with Studebaker, in about 1965, they had to remove their Studebaker signage. They just laid the sign down on the roof. I got it from them many years later. I had to retrieve it from the roof myself. I purchased many new and used Dodges and Studebakers from them, as well as parts and service.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      Do you mean the internally illuminated (back lit) two sided Lark sign that is about six feet long? I sold my complete, working one of those to C. Studebaker for $40 and included delivery to Reedsville (probably mid-'80s). When I noticed that the bottom of the case had gotten rusty, I offered to give him half his money back. Mine was used on DiNapoli-Salicco Studebaker dealership in Beacon, NY for a short time. When they took on Dodge, along with Studebaker, in about 1965, they had to remove their Studebaker signage. They just laid the sign down on the roof. I got it from them many years later. I had to retrieve it from the roof myself. I purchased many new and used Dodges and Studebakers from them, as well as parts and service.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know Bill Brown ...his Lark is a beauty . I like that color so much that I'm painting my R series truck that color. Saw Bill in Omaha and hes had alot of health problems this year....hope hes on the mend.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I know Bill Brown ...his Lark is a beauty . I like that color so much that I'm painting my R series truck that color. Saw Bill in Omaha and hes had alot of health problems this year....hope hes on the mend.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

And I was half temped to buy that sky top roof section that Mr. Crisitello had for sale. The wheels were turnin....but I dont know if I could justify cutting that big of a hole in my roof?

Comment

And I was half temped to buy that sky top roof section that Mr. Crisitello had for sale. The wheels were turnin....but I dont know if I could justify cutting that big of a hole in my roof?

Comment

Working...
                              X