This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Golden Hawks are Automotive Icons

Some 1,350 miles of driving with a Studebaker Golden Hawk in your rear view mirror on your trailer can stimulate inquiring minds to ask why Studebaker Golden Hawks enjoy the icon status they do. Such was a reflection while towing George Krem's "new" 1958 Golden Hawk back from Connecticut last week. [8D]

[:I] Here's the reflection: Studebaker Golden Hawks are icons because the label was never emasculated to a trim package or a lower-performance car. During three years of production, the first Golden Hawk and the last, and every single one in between, shared a common denominator: They were absolutely the highest-performance Studebaker you could buy...and every one of them was genuinely high-performance, with no "buts."

Compare that with other performance-image cars. See if you can come up with another that was not watered-down to something lesser toward the end, to draw people to the marque when, in fact, the qualities were gone that had originally endeared enthusiasts to the label. (Admittedly, there may be: I don't profess to have explored this theory for days on end.)

Examples of this postulation abound. To wit:

The smallest engine available in the original Impala Super Sport (1961) was a robust 348...but only the next year, you could get an Impala Super Sport with a SIX, for Pete's sake. [xx(]

Every Plymouth Road Runner was a notoriously fast, kick-butt car for the first several years, but they got watered down to stripes and a 318 (if you so ordered it) by 1974. [:0]

Ford put the word "Cobra" on just about everything except rolls of corporate toilet paper toward the end. [V]

Even the ultra-masculine 1955 Chrysler 300 got neutered to a deluxe Newport by 1962 (non-letter series, of course; but they were playing off the "300" image).

The original Rambler Rebel, with the new AMC 327 V-8, was arguably the fastest 1957 US-production car...but by 1968, the Rebel 550 Six was the cheapest, lowest-performance full-size AMC car you could buy. (Newbies: The AMC 327 was no more a Chevy engine than the Studebaker 289 was a Ford.)

And of course, you have to be a real GM groupie to appreciate the 1974 Pontiac GTO...not to mention the current iteration.

Thank goodness none of that ever happened to the Golden Hawk. That fact, plus the relatively low production numbers over a short three-year run, have sustained the Golden Hawk's deserved image among even non-Studebaker enthusiasts.

Studebaker marketing may have fallen into that situation by default, but it's a good thing they did! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

As far as that goes the same (to a certain extent) could be said for all the Hawks. Perhaps not in the speed catagory, as much as the quality arena. Top of the line.

Then the legacy continued with Avanti...

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

As far as that goes the same (to a certain extent) could be said for all the Hawks. Perhaps not in the speed catagory, as much as the quality arena. Top of the line.

Then the legacy continued with Avanti...

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thank goodness none of that ever happened to the Golden Hawk. That fact, plus the relatively low production numbers over a short three-year run, have sustained the Golden Hawk's deserved image among even non-Studebaker enthusiasts.

Very true. And its too funny how some of the uninformed still think they only came in gold and white!!!

Craig.

Comment

Very true. And its too funny how some of the uninformed still think they only came in gold and white!!!

Craig.

Comment

Hi Bob
            Well reasoned and explained!!!!
            An similar earlier icon is the '35-'36 Auburn Supercharged boat-tailed speedster: power and timeless style unsullied!!!
            Never a 6 cylinder version!!!
            Is the auto industry still capable of such cars?
            Steve

Comment

Hi Bob
              Well reasoned and explained!!!!
              An similar earlier icon is the '35-'36 Auburn Supercharged boat-tailed speedster: power and timeless style unsullied!!!
              Never a 6 cylinder version!!!
              Is the auto industry still capable of such cars?
              Steve

Comment

Capable Yes. Will They NO.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Capable Yes. Will They NO.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Golden Hawk Production
                    1956-4,071
                    1957-4,356
                    1958- 878
                    Per Studebaker Buyers Guide
                    Klif

55 Speedster
                    42 Champ Coupe
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Golden Hawk Production
                      1956-4,071
                      1957-4,356
                      1958- 878
                      Per Studebaker Buyers Guide
                      Klif

55 Speedster
                      42 Champ Coupe
                      55 Speedster/Street Machine
                      63 Avanti R2
                      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Look, I'm not trying to degrade the car. I'd love to get my hands on a '56 J, but the reason they stopped building these cars was that they weren't selling. When production in '58 was only 878, I bet Studebaker lost money on every one of them.

As for other cars losing their luster, I can think of a few that went to their grave (or still in production) that kept their luster.

* '67-'71 Plymouth GTX (only engines available were 440, 440+6 and 426 Hemi

* '69-'02 Pontiac Trans Am (started with 360 HP gross and ended with 320 HP net)

* '67-'02 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 (started with 290 HP gross and ended with 320 HP net)

* '53-'07 Chevrolet Corvette (from Blue Flame six to 505 HP Z-06)

* '64-'06 Pontiac GTO - say what you will about the '74 model, but it was still faster than the G/H. And a few actually left with 455's. The GTO package was an option in '64 and '65 before becoming a full model in '66. It reverted back to a package in '73. But you still got a 455. I don't consider the newer models to be a slam on the nameplate either, not with a 400 HP net engine.

* '55 to '07 Chrysler Letter Series. - These cars have always been the fastest cars in Chryslers line up, even now with the new C-300 Hemi (and the SRT8 has 425 net HP). The fact that the Windsor was made a base model 300 (discontinued after '71) is no different than using the Hawk name on everything not a Lark until '64. The last original L/S Chrysler in '65 still had 360 HP and was available with a 4-speed.

The newer 300M I don't look down on because it was still the fastest, most luxurious Chrysler you could buy from '98 to '04.

I like all cars, not just Studebakers. I grew up a Chrysler guy, and in many ways I still am. I respect what Studebaker was able to accomplish from '53 on with a shoestring budget, but I'm able to see the big picture. Markets move and times change (see the emission choked engines of the '70's).

My dream car was always a 1963 Chrysler 300J with the 390 HP 413.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Look, I'm not trying to degrade the car. I'd love to get my hands on a '56 J, but the reason they stopped building these cars was that they weren't selling. When production in '58 was only 878, I bet Studebaker lost money on every one of them.

As for other cars losing their luster, I can think of a few that went to their grave (or still in production) that kept their luster.

* '67-'71 Plymouth GTX (only engines available were 440, 440+6 and 426 Hemi

* '69-'02 Pontiac Trans Am (started with 360 HP gross and ended with 320 HP net)

* '67-'02 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 (started with 290 HP gross and ended with 320 HP net)

* '53-'07 Chevrolet Corvette (from Blue Flame six to 505 HP Z-06)

* '64-'06 Pontiac GTO - say what you will about the '74 model, but it was still faster than the G/H. And a few actually left with 455's. The GTO package was an option in '64 and '65 before becoming a full model in '66. It reverted back to a package in '73. But you still got a 455. I don't consider the newer models to be a slam on the nameplate either, not with a 400 HP net engine.

* '55 to '07 Chrysler Letter Series. - These cars have always been the fastest cars in Chryslers line up, even now with the new C-300 Hemi (and the SRT8 has 425 net HP). The fact that the Windsor was made a base model 300 (discontinued after '71) is no different than using the Hawk name on everything not a Lark until '64. The last original L/S Chrysler in '65 still had 360 HP and was available with a 4-speed.

The newer 300M I don't look down on because it was still the fastest, most luxurious Chrysler you could buy from '98 to '04.

I like all cars, not just Studebakers. I grew up a Chrysler guy, and in many ways I still am. I respect what Studebaker was able to accomplish from '53 on with a shoestring budget, but I'm able to see the big picture. Markets move and times change (see the emission choked engines of the '70's).

My dream car was always a 1963 Chrysler 300J with the 390 HP 413.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                          Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                          LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

* '64-'06 Pontiac GTO - say what you will about the '74 model, but it was still faster than the G/H. And a few actually left with 455's.

I believe Bob is referring to the '74 Ventura based X-body hatchback where the 350 cubic incher was the largest engine available. I can't believe a '74 would outrun a '56 GH.

Craig.

Comment

* '64-'06 Pontiac GTO - say what you will about the '74 model, but it was still faster than the G/H. And a few actually left with 455's.

I believe Bob is referring to the '74 Ventura based X-body hatchback where the 350 cubic incher was the largest engine available. I can't believe a '74 would outrun a '56 GH.

Craig.

Comment

Working...
                              X