Brake lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lining

I thought I had a brake seizing up, but when I took off the shoe I found 1-1.5" of lining had broken off the back shoe of the front passenger brake. The drivers side lining is 9.5" and the damaged side measures 8". There still are four rivets holding the damaged lining to the shoe. Can I still drive the car safely until I can replace the lining. The front linings should both be replaced at the same time, correct? Thanks
    Joe

Actually, all 4 front linings should be replaced at the same time.

I personally wouldn't drive it until they were replaced.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Brakes are something you don't want to skimp on, period. [xx(]

New shoes are cheap. [^]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I would rather have a car that doesn't start, than a car that doesn't stop! If you're a gambler, think about hedging your bet. Let it sit until you can bet the farm.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Have the shoes re-lined, but try and find a company that will use riveted shoes. As far as I am concerned riveted shoes stop better than bonded. I believe it is because the rivets allow the heat to spread to the shoe itself sort of like a heat sink.

Comment

If you get your shoes relined ,make sure you get original asbestos lining.
            The crap they make to replace the asbestos lining is too hard and you will
            have a problem stopping.
            The material cracks etc.
            What car do you need shoes for?
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X