No announcement yet.

Anyone with a '57-64 Truck Shop Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with a '57-64 Truck Shop Manual?

Greetings, SDCers,

I would appreciate anyone with a '57-64 Truck Shop Manual checking the T89 transmission section and help me compare the T89 truck transmission disassembly section with that in my '56 car shop manual T85 section. I'm in Pacific time. Reply in a PM and I'll give you a call at your convenience.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Jack--

I have one at home--I should be home by 7 PM Pacific.

PM me your number--I will call as soon as I pour myself some bourbon and relax for a minute or two . . .

Comment

Jack--

Just pulled out the 2E through 8E shop manual and there is NOTHING on the T-85 in my copy!! The only transmissions covered are the T90B and the 4-speeds and 5-speeds.

Comment

Hi, Allen,

Wasn't the truck version of the T85 transmission known as the T89? Anything on that. We know it was used extensively.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hi, Allen,

Wasn't the truck version of the T85 transmission known as the T89? Anything on that. We know it was used extensively.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          My shop manual is one of the reprints, so maybe something is missing? All I can tell you is that the ONLY 3-speed in there is the T-90--both with and without OD.

Comment

I wanna know what SPECIFICALLY is the difference(s) between a T-85 and a T-89. Sure, I know how to read the embossed letters on the gear case, but that gives me no insight as to what the differences truly are.
            Looking at the parts books, there seems to be SCANT (if any) part number sharing between the two. This is using only the '57-'61 Truck Parts catalog - looking at the V8 half and three quarter tons AND the 55-58 car chassis parts book that includes the 56-57-58 Golden Hawks W/3spd OD.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi, Biggs,

The T85 gear ratios are: 2.49, 1.59, 1.00, .722, r3.154. It has a spiral cut splines on the mainshaft and beveled low/reverse gears, The spiral/bevel shifts faster and smoother from low to second gear. However, it is more difficult to double-clutch back into low. The closer gear ratios are better for high performance.

The T89 gear ratios are: 3.17, 1.75, 1.00, .722, r3.666. It has straight splines on the mainshaft and straight-cut low/reverse gears. The straight cut shaft and gears don't shift as well from low to second, but comes back down into low easier. The lower first and second gear gives greater torque multiplication for hauling heavy loads.

AFAIK, nothing but the case, cover, shifter arms, cluster gear shaft, bearings and small parts are the same. Most everything inside the case is different.

Question - does your book show synchro rings being the same P/N?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack! Yes, indeed they are the same number T-85 or T-89!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X