How long is an Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is an Avanti?

Does anyone know the overall length of an Avanti? I have been approached about selling mine and need to get a quote on shipping. Given that it is stored 30 miles from my house, I thought it might be easier for someone to measure theirs.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

(Wheelbase) Length 109.5", Overall Length 192.5", Width 90.4" Height 54.0" Weight Empty 3,000 lbs. Provided to you by your friendly Avanti historian. Statistics provided via the official Studebaker press Kit given to the media at the initial showing at the NYC Auto Show. [8D]

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I'm thinking 109" is the wheelbase.

Comment

My fault I looked at the wrong figure. Length is 192.5" I should have known better. OOOOPPPPSSSS!!!! I'm human and not perfect.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks for the info. It looks like I will only need 16 feet of deck space. Now to see what coast to coast shipping will be. [xx(]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Now to see what coast to coast shipping will be. [xx(]
            The base rate probably won't be too bad, but they'll probably get you on a "fuel surcharge".
            I see it on our FedEx Bill and the last time I shipped a car with Intercity. In early 2006 (chaep fuel compared to today) they wanted $150 (or so) for the surcharge for hauling my Avanti from South Bend to Washington state.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

(Wheelbase) Length 109.5", Overall Length 192.5", Width 90.4" Height 54.0" Weight Empty 3,000 lbs. Provided to you by your friendly Avanti historian. Statistics provided via the official Studebaker press Kit given to the media at the initial showing at the NYC Auto Show. [8D]

See you in the future as I write about our past
              That may be what the advance press kit said, but I don't believe it.
              Studebaker Service Letter S-1047 gives the empty weight as 3140 for R1 and 3195 for R2.
              Studebaker brochure PD63-14 gives the shipping weight as 3148 (add 55 for S/C). That brochure also gives the length as 192.5, height 53 4/5, wb 109 and width of 70 2/5.
              Your width dimension is what made me look it up because it seemed too wide and I thought that a Studebaker Avanti was about the same size as my Acura 3.2 CL coupe. My Acura has a wb 106.9, length 192, height 55.5, width 70.6 and weight 3461.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '63 R2 4 speed basically has all options (oddly lacking twin traction). With a full tank of fuel I believe it tipped the scales at 3,530 lbs.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                Packrat junk collector
                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                X