temperature gauage voltage change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temperature gauage voltage change

My 1953 Commander has been converted to 12V. I had the temperature gauge converted from 6V to 12v. Is the sending unit compatible to a 12v gauge? I can now feed a 12v line to the ign post on the gauge, but do I need to do anything for the sending unit? Convert or replace?
    Incidentally, I did the conversion on the gas gauage and it works fine so that I no longer need a voltage reducer
    Thanks

No, you cannot use a 6 volt sender with a gauge designed for 12 volts. It would be best to purchase a new 12 volt sender from a vendor or buy the universal one from a NAPA store, they work well and have instructions included.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

What is "the conversion" ?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I sent the temp and gas gauge to a vendor that recalibrated it to 12v. Essentially it came back with what is probably just an attached voltage reducer connected to the ignition post and having another post to connect the 12v line. With the gas guage I sent along the sending unit and it was to be calibrated together. This sems to work well but need to adjust the arm on the float for "full" reading.

Comment

With that explanation it appears that you are good to go after adjusting the float arm.

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I sent the temp and gas gauge to a vendor that recalibrated it to 12v. Essentially it came back with what is probably just an attached voltage reducer connected to the ignition post and having another post to connect the 12v line. With the gas guage I sent along the sending unit and it was to be calibrated together. This sems to work well but need to adjust the arm on the float for "full" reading.

Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'd ask the vendor that did the conversion about the temp sending unit to be sure.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Would anyone by chance know a NAPA number for a 12V temp sending unit for a V-8? I would expect mounting my vary.

Comment

Working...
              X