No announcement yet.

Best way to cover a missing windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to cover a missing windshield?

A newbie question of sorts: what's the best (and thriftiest) way that you've found to cover a missing windshield?

I just picked up a 62 Lark Daytona project that's been in a storage shed. It's missing a windshield, but otherwise solid and complete, and the car will need to be outdoors for a while. I'm in northern New Mexico, so rain is not a frequent factor, but we do have some rain and snow and strong wind.

1949 2R5 truck
    1962 GT Hawk
    1950 Champion Starlight (project)
    Santa Fe, NM
    1949 2R5 truck
    1962 GT Hawk
    projects: 50 Champion Starlight, 62 Lark Daytona, 61 Lark Cruiser VIII, 63 Wagonaire

Santa Fe, NM

For a short time you could use sheet plastic, but the sun will cause it to break down. A better idea would probably be one of those blue tarps stretched over the whole roof that you could tie securely under the car.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Use a Blue Tarp secure it to the car and then cover the entire car with a weather proof breathable car coverfor the duration of required coverage time. If you it in this manner the chances are there will be no leakage or breakdown of the tarp.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ct5philos

A newbie question of sorts: what's the best (and thriftiest) way that you've found to cover a missing windshield?
        I would say if you have access to '61/'62 windshield that is already full of cracks would work for a car in storage. It will be a 'throw-away' item for someone who is replacing one for their driver Stude, and could probably be had for less that replacing a tarp 3 times a year as they are 'non- recyclable'. The plastic laminate in the middle would keep out any water, sand, etc, and naturally, it will fit.

Craig

Comment

If the windshield is "missing"...how do you cover it?

Sorry...just in one of those moods!

Mike

Comment

If your only option other than covering the windshield opening with plastic is a tarp I would opt for the plastic, as covering a car with a tarp would have no provision for breathing out moisture and would invite mold inside the car. I saw a Stude once that had been covered with plastic for several years and mold ruined the interior.[V] This car was inside by the way. Putting a car cover on over the tarp as avantidon says would not help as the tarp would still trap the moisture under it.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Carolyn: Larger commercial body shops and professional towing/recovery services now have a specialized heavy plastic with a sticky surface on one side that is used to cover open areas on late-model wrecks, so the interior is not damaged by water or anything while the car is being transported and stored before repair.

You might check at a large commerical body shop/collision center, or at a big wrecker service, to see if you could buy enough of that material from one of their rolls, because your need is is exactly the intended use of that relatively-new product. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was thinking it would be covered for a few months, but you never know.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Great ideas, guys. Thanks to all of you. I'll try a blue tarp while I'm looking for that specialized plastic with the sticky surface. That stuff sounds terrific!

Carolyn

1949 2R5 truck
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  1950 Champion Starlight (project)
                  Santa Fe, NM
                  1949 2R5 truck
                  1962 GT Hawk
                  projects: 50 Champion Starlight, 62 Lark Daytona, 61 Lark Cruiser VIII, 63 Wagonaire

Santa Fe, NM

Comment

I was told by Rick Courtier that Rain-X worked real well[][}]
                    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I would cut a piece of plywood that fits inside the upper part of the windshield opening and sticks out at the bottom. This would drain off moisture, for the most part, and would be heavy enough to stay in place and last for a while.

Comment

All kidding aside. take a few minutes to cut two or three pieces of lumber and prop up the roof line. In the event of a storm or some act of nature (unforseen) proping up the window frame will prevent any problems down the road.

My ragtop came without a window and had I not put a set of props aup against the the upper part of the window frame there would have been damage after a huge rain storm hit a week after I got the car. One thing you do not want is a windshield opening that is not true. Search the Forum for threads on windshield rubber installation

Comment

You could go to home depot or lowes & get a roll of "visqueen" (dont go by the spelling), a heavy plastic sheeting used in construction for temporary covering.

60 Lark convertible
                          61 Champ
                          62 Daytona convertible
                          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2)
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Lots of good ideas. Here's one more that might be used alone or maybe even better in conjunction with some of the other suggestions. Go to Auto Zone, etc. and get a generic car cover. Measure your car and get one that is about the right size. I have gotten some good ones at Auto Zone that are breathable. Not what you would want for permanent covering but temporarily it might work.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Too bad you aren't closer, I have a good used window with a still pliable rubber seal for that car you could have for free. You should be able to find one a lot closer for the freight costs, though. Lots of desert cars and parts out there. Until then, BP's info sounds perfect. Good luck with that Daytona.

Comment

Working...
                              X