This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOTICE: Forum/website offline Monday, 6/9

This is a head's up that if all goes as planned, I will need to take the forum and website offline for a few hours on Monday 6/9 in order to migrate the forum to a different server and upgrade the forum's database. Sorry, but I can't give a set time of day when this might occur.

Anyway, don't be surprised if you cannot load the forum tomorrow.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Thank You for the heads up. I know we appreciate it.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Nice shop coat, Mr. Shaw. But beware, 58 Hawk is looking for one.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Yep, thanks for the warning. Also thanks for keeping this forum running. You do a great job and I for one appreciate it.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That sure looks a lot like Bud Hall.[)]

Bob, by the time I get off work I'm sure the only thing I'll notice is your constant vigilance. Thanks!

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thank you, Thank you, and a VERY BIG THANK YOU.

1963 Cruiser, 2-1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based Willamette
            Valley Oregon.
            1952 Ford F-1, 1977 Lincoln Continental (all works in progress)

Comment

Progress is always appreciaed Bob as you do a fantastic job in all aspects of site operation for us. That also includes your effrorts to moderate decorum. Thanks for all that you do!!
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Holy Cow!!! What kind of piss poor network management is this? "I'm going to take it down during the middle of the day... but can't tell you when". Good thing Bob was handed the contract for the next three years, because there will be some serious competition for this reportedly $50K/yr. paid position starting in 2011. I just wish I would have found out about the bidding process a year ago... not that I would have had a chance in what I suspect is a classic good ol' boy network.

For those of you who do not know anything about network management... Bob would be out on his ass on Day 1 if he tried this crap in the real world. I really would like to know what Bob's qualifications and experiences are for this job.

Reading these other comments, it's like looking at a bunch of star struck sheep. "Yes Mr. Shaw, Thank you Mr. Shaw, You're doing a wonderful job Mr. Shaw." If only you knew...

Lee

Comment

Clearly you're not happy here, Lee.

Misery is optional.

If being able to access a forum 24/7/365 is your top criteria, try alt.autos.studebaker. Your audience there has dwindled a little, but Google has that uptime thing nailed pretty good.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I'm not happy when I see someone doing the type of work that I do poorly. Are you in your line of work?

So are you saying that this forum should not be available 24/7/365? I say it should be and could easily be by the right person. How is it that I can have 99.9999% uptime and still maintain several network servers all of which are a lot more complicated to maintain and secure than a simple mostly static website?

EDIT: Actually my servers are up more than 99.9999% of the time (that would mean a downtime of 87 minutes per year).

Comment

I thought it was a volunteer position. 50,000 sounds like a good job to me. I really didn't think it but probably assumed it. I really like the forum but if somehow it could better I would welcome the gesture. I really know absolutely zilch about establishing and maintaining a web site if that is even the correct terminology. Tell us how you really feel Lee. jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

I thought it was a volunteer position. 50,000 sounds like a good job to me. I really didn't think it but probably assumed it. I really like the forum but if somehow it could better I would welcome the gesture. I really know absolutely zilch about establishing and maintaining a web site if that is even the correct terminology. Tell us how you really feel Lee. jimmijim
                        I will agree with you on that, if it was being run on a voluntary basis I would be willing to give Bob some slack and offer him suggestions and help. But from what I'm hearing it's not even close to a voluntary position and I'm not going to give him any help for free if he's being paid for my work. For what the SDC is reportedly paying Bob, this thing should be run professionally and not have graphics and layouts of something you'd find done by a jr. high school student.

Comment

Lee, if you are looking to become a webmaster of an automotive club site at a rate equal to the SDC's which is a lot less than what one has already suggested it is, the AOAI will soon be advertising for bids to operate their website and forum. Just watch for the notice both on the AOAI.org site and in the Avanti Magazine. If you aren't an AOAI member then please join at a low first year rate of $19.95 as that will be a requirement.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks Don, I might just have to change my opinion of Avanti's. I'm not really "looking", but if they're paying this kind of money I might just have to consider it.

Operating a website, isn't all that big of a deal... it used to be 10 years ago, but now the software and hosting sites make it so that anybody with an internet connection can easily maintain or create a website. Templates are available for just about everything you are wanting. The only thing I would farm out would be the graphic design portion, because there are people out there are people out there a whole lot more talented in that department than I am.

Lee

Comment

I Too thought it was volunteer.At any rate it is Im sure a lot of work and I know a lot of stress as it is a lot of stress just to read through the ramblings of those few members like you Lee who have no life and no drive to create one for yourself so insist on sharing your misery with the other members of this hobby.Do you own a studebaker? Have you ever seen a studebaker? Can you even spell studebaker? In a nutshell if you are not happy here GTFA! Mr Shaw HAS in the time I have been here done a very commendable job of keeping the forum up and running while keeping the problem children at bay and why he doesnt just bar your sorry a** is beyond me.He is I assure you much more patient than I.Proud studebaker owner, participant,and promoter of my hobby,Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X