Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker stopped left-hand thread when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker stopped left-hand thread when?

I know it's been on here before but can't seem to find it. I need to know the last year Studebaker used the left hand threads on the driver's side lug studs and nuts.

TIA

John

John,

Studebaker adopted the left-hand thread nuts after a major supplier had screwed up (pun intended) and set the thread lathes running backwards. The goof wasn't caught until after the nuts had been delivered to Studebaker. QC was a bit loose back then.[:I]
    Quick-thinking engineers at Studebaker got this wild idea about using this as a saftey gimmick and had the hardware maker make lug studs to match (he gave Stude a heckuva discount since the whole thing was his fault to start with!). They proceeded to use them until supplies ran out.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

They proceeded to use them until supplies ran out.
      ...which was when?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Oh! Yeah.... end of 1958 models.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John,

Studebaker adopted the left-hand thread nuts after a major supplier had screwed up (pun intended) and set the thread lathes running backwards. The goof wasn't caught until after the nuts had been delivered to Studebaker. QC was a bit loose back then.[:I]
          Quick-thinking engineers at Studebaker got this wild idea about using this as a saftey gimmick and had the hardware maker make lug studs to match (he gave Stude a heckuva discount since the whole thing was his fault to start with!). They proceeded to use them until supplies ran out.[^]
          And I suppose Studebaker sold them to Chrysler? Never heard that story before, Biggie, NOR seen it in any of the literature I have hoarded over the years. You don't happen to have a bridge somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard you want to unload do ya?

Neat-O story tho.

John

Comment

Sorry John. Problem is, there's no tongue-in-cheek emoticon that I coulda tagged onto my "tale". But 58 is what the parts books show as the last year they used LHT lug nuts. That part was true.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Comment

This thread is nuts.

This is one nutty thread.

Are you studs nuts?

Ok, I'm done.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

As the saying goes, don't believe all you read on the internet. Kaiser-Frazer used left hand nuts.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt
                  Kaiser-Frazer used left hand nuts.
                  As did my '62 Willys wagon.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

BG observes: "This thread is nuts.

This is one nutty thread.

Are you studs nuts?

Ok, I'm done."

Yeah, but Bob... aren't you glad you didn't just lug that around with you? Left - Right - you wouldn't have known which way to turn![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

Comment

I think this is my bus stop.
                      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Believe it or not, Freightliner trucks still use them.[:0] And, I suspect, they're not the only ones.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah, but Bob... aren't you glad you didn't just lug that around with you?

ooo, that was bad.

Left - Right - you wouldn't have known which way to turn![:0]

Yeah, well, my body guy sure didn't know which way to turn! After painting the wheels, all four drums are now RH whether they wanted to be or not. I'm leaving 'em alone till I have to remove a wheel, then will try to change studs.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                          X