1955 Studebaker Competition Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Studebaker Competition Pricing

I just got back from the big Fleetwood show near London Ontario.
    Fabulous show - the owner, Steve Plunkett collects Cadillacs. Probaly 700 more cars were visiting, including almost 20 Studes and Avantis. Original Batman and Batgirl signed autographs, along with George Barris and some of the bat customs, including the car, bike and helicopter.

Anyway, I found this caption below describing one of his (Steve)Cadillacs interesting. It reads:

"1954 Cadillac Series - Priced at $2,000 less than 1953 Eldorado."

$2,000 was a lot of money in 1954 - and in line with the comment that a 1939 Studebaker was a much better value More for the same $ - than many other manufacturers and preceding years' Studebakers.

Paul R

P.S. Also officially announced was a new Orphan called "Thunderbird", to join the ranks of Oldsmobile and Studebaker.

The 53 Eldorado was basically a concept car that was put into production. It was very much different from regular Cadillacs of that year. It had a wrap around windshield that the other Cadillacs didn't have. The 54 Eldorado was basically a dolled up regular Cadillac with more trim.

The 55 Speedster was getting close to the price of a low priced Cadillac.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

As Leonard said, this is comparing apples and oranges. The 1953 Eldorado was a limited production special car. I knew a guy that specialized in them. He had owned many. He kept trying for the earliest serial number that he could get. I don't think that he owned more than three at any one time. I believe that he bought most of them in California.

This reminds me of when I was at a car show being held at a Chevrolet dealer in the early '60s. They had this sign on the car explaining how the new Impala was less expensive than a 1958 Impala. For 1958, the Impala was a special top of the line hardtop and convertible model and within a few years, the Impala was just a regular series in the Chevrolet line.

I don't see Thunderbird as being an orphan like Oldsmobile or Studebaker. Oldsmobile was a brand of car and Studebaker was a manufacturer and brand of car. Thunderbird was a model of Ford. Ford is still in business.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thank you for the reasonable explanation. I had presumed it was:

(1) I had heard that Cadillacs and Chevs were all on the same chassis; or

(2) If they could take out $2,000 out of the Cadillac price easily, then I do feel sorry for the independents that did not have the production facilities to churn out cars to reduce costs.

My understanding is that Cadillacs were Packard's and Lincoln's chief competition, and, even tough they are incredibly ugly (especially the ones with the elevated taillight), they were appointed nicely.

Paul

Comment

1948 to 1959 Cadillacs were far from considered ugly in their time. Some styles, like a '53 Starliner, have stood the test of time, some others haven't faired so well, but were in keeping with their time frame. Remember that what is in style is what sells new, not what may still be in style 50 years hence. By the mid-50s, I believe that Cadillac sales far outweighed Packard and Lincoln sales.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
          X