Optima battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optima battery

I don't have a question this time. I'm posting just to sing the praises of the Optima battery. I've been messing with Studes on and off since '72 and have never had a battery anywhere near as good as the Optima. I put one new in my '64 sedan about five years ago. Over time I became really impressed with the battery. Last summer I started a 'small' project to put AC in the car. I took the battery out and set it on the floor of the garage. Well, a project I thought would take a few weeks stretched into a year(if you're married and a home owner you know how it goes with projects...). When I was finally ready to start the car again about a week ago I had no hope that the battery would still be any good. I was plenty happy with the service I had gotten from it already. But I put it in and to my amazement it cranked that 289 hard until that cold, cold engine started. - I'm sold.

I have their AGM batteries in my cabin cruiser and they have never failed to crank it even after sitting all winter.I only get to use it a couple times a year and use to have to buy a battery every other year.I am told they also last substantially longer between charges in a total loss system such as a trolling motor and know my cabin and deck lights have never dimmed like with old school batteries.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I liked the 6V Optima I installed in my '49 Champion.
      Cranked great, hot or cold.

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The Optima in my friends '34 Ford is about 16 years old and still going strong!

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have one in my Bearcat. I love it.
          The only trouble I've ever had is when I left the switch on and I had to take it back to them to give it a (deep?) charge.
          I tried taking it to a regular battery story and they said it wasn't any good, so I took it to Interstate/Optima and 24 hours later it was good as new.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have one in a 6V 1936 Packard and nothing cranks that straight eight like that Optima. Great battery.

Mike

Comment

Funny...any good battery will crank well!

I can say from experience....don't let it sit with a low charge...it'll die a bad death just like any other battery. At least the 6 volt version.

Mike

Comment

can an optima battery work in the avanti?

Comment

I am told it will work for any application a normal battery will.I dont expect they will have the correct shape for the 63 avanti with the long skinny style battery but I also havent checked.Steve

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
                  '63 Lark

Comment

I'm just diagnosing (hopefully not) the same problem with the 12V in my 63 Hawk...

.... I can say from experience....don't let it sit with a low charge...it'll die a bad death just like any other battery. At least the 6 volt version.

1951 Rod
                    1962 Champ
                    1963 Avanti R1
                    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                    1964 Daytona Convertible
                    2006 Avanti Convertible
                    1951 Custom
                    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                    1962 Champ
                    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                    1963 Avanti R1
                    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                    2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

This reminds me of one of my mistakes. I was at an auto accessory store that was closed and the contents were being auctioned. I bought some shelving and other items, but I passed on the new 12 volt Optima battery with sales rack for $30 because I didn't need a battery at the time. Then I found out what they cost new. The 20-20 vision of hindsight &lt;G&gt;.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

They do perform. When I still had my battery business I had a manufacturer who would suppy me with empty cases. We would cut out the inside and insert an optima. Looked like a regular battery with wild CCA's.
                        Denny L

Comment

Working...
                        X