t86 transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t86 transmission

Hello to all of you stude guys out there. I am looking for a little help with a transmission. I bought a 1948 willys 4wd truck(willys rule haha) With it i got several crates of old parts. In one is a side shift t86 transmission. To the best of my rookie knowledge these were not used in willys trucks (side shift t90 were used in early ones). Where they used in your pickups? Anyone have an idea what it might be from? Thanks for any help you guys might offer. Jesse

T-86's were used with Studebaker V8's in cars. T-90's were used in the Studebaker trucks. Speaking of factory production, of course!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

T-86's were used with Studebaker V8's in cars. T-90's were used in the Studebaker trucks. Speaking of factory production, of course!

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      I used a T-86 in a 2R6 I had once to get better gearing for the highway. It worked great. I presently have a T90 in my Champ. The person who built it up before I purchased it used the truck to tow a trailer he used when vending and thought the T90 was a better tranny to do that with. I don't think the later trucks came with a T90.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

As has been noted, the T-86 was standard issue in most Stude cars with a V8. They were also used behind the bigger flathead 6 in some Stude trucks.
        Does this tranny have a fixed yoke on it's output end or a splined shaft for a slip yoke? A fixed yoke was used in 51 thru 57 V8 cars and in all truck applications of a T-86. The slip yoke arrangement was used in 58 thru 66 Stude cars.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X