VIN location(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN location(s)

Is the VIN on a 1953 Studebaker located anywhere in addition to the left hinge pillar? I need to have the VIN certified and the tag is missing from the pillar.

Thanks Howard
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Howard, Here's what it looks like. It's on the underside of that aft-most frame crossmember.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

By the way - it's RARELY that easily visible because rust has had years to erode it, BUT.... it IS still there

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks VERY much! I'll crawl under and check it.
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

But then again, as Mr Biggs responded to my 1st posting, in 2005,
          they could have used the engine serial number as well, which it
          was in my case, and described in the following thread from the
          archives.

Happy hunting,

Comment

This is true. I may be wrong, but didn't CA use engine numbers in the early '50's???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I don't know that it WAS the rule out here, but some early post-war Studes I've handled did use the motor#. Fact is, I've got two 53 coupes here now - always been CA cars as far as I know. One's titled by it's motor# and the other by the serial#.
              Even if they WERE registered with the motor#, you wanna register them by the serial# if at all possible.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Comment

My 53 2 door, as a CA car, had always been titled with the engine #,
                so when it came time to register her in AZ, it was apparent that the
                "serial" # hadn't been used...so depending on how "brngarage" title
                reads......he may also need to check for the engine # too.

glen

Comment

Howard, if your registration number starts with a V, that would indicate it's the engine number of a '53 Commander. If it starts with an 8, that's the SERIAL number of a 53 Commander. If it starts with a 1, that's the engine number of a '53 Champion, if it starts with a G, that's the serial number of a 53 Champion. You didn't SAY if your car is a Champion or Commander.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Howard, if your registration number starts with a V, that would indicate it's the engine number of a '53 Commander. If it starts with an 8, that's the SERIAL number of a 53 Commander. If it starts with a 1, that's the engine number of a '53 Champion, if it starts with a G, that's the serial number of a 53 Champion. You didn't SAY if your car is a Champion or Commander.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

Comment

Thanks to your information, I was able to verify that the VIN on MY car's crossmember does in fact match the VIN tag on the door pillar. My car is in fact a 53 Commander Starliner. The question was asked for a friend who is missing the door pillar tag. I should find out by Monday what the "configuration" of the VIN on the crossmember is (she believes the car is also a 53 Commander.
                      Thanks again for your help
                      Howard

Comment

Working...
                      X