Engine ID...I mean it this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID...I mean it this time

Can anyone ID this engine? Not sure what I'm working with. Thanks!

Michael

Since you mean it this time..if that first digit is a S, it think it is a 1959 170 engine according to my books.

Comment

If that is 987325, then it is a '52 Champion 6.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, my daughter said it was a 9, too and wants first credit if it is.. ) I can't tell, not much car info to go on.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Dick, my daughter said it was a 9, too and wants first credit if it is.. ) I can't tell, not much car info to go on.
          With my old eyes, it could well be a W or an X or a 2 [^]. Your daughter gets first credit for sure .

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

That makes two of us.

Comment

Michael, exactly WHERE on the engine is this stamped??? It doesn't look like any serial# location I know of! Is this a 6 or an 8 or... wha?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, I guess I could have been more vague. The engine is currently in my 52 Champion. I need to pull it as it has a golf ball sized hole in the block.
                The stamp shown is on the driver's side closest to the fan/pulleys, towards the top.
                I have a donor 6 from a 53 P/U but want to make sure it will fit without fabrication (as I am a dummy with that stuff). Call me Mr. Plug and play!
                Thanks to all!
                Michael

Comment

Michael,

Just out of curiosity, does your screen name have anything to do with The Senate and the People of Rome?

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Michael, looks like it was a definite 9 for the first digit. If it had a golf ball size hole in it you pretty much answered yourself as to what you are dealing with..extra parts, unless it's a freeze plug hole. Good luck plugging in the '53 donor engine. Lets see some more pics; also, maybe a little wider shot!

Comment

Congrats Brad! You are one of only a handful of people to decipher that in the 6 years I've had that screen name! Good on ya!

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Michael,

Just out of curiosity, does your screen name have anything to do with The Senate and the People of Rome?

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                      X