Need R1 engine photo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need R1 engine photo!

In another post on the "stove huggers" forum, I posted a link to an Engine ID quiz here:

I also emailed this link to all of my car buddies and this quiz was a lot of fun according to all the responses. ~~BUT~~ what everybody commented on was the large proportion of Chevy engines in the quiz. So to take matters in my own hands, I emailed the webmaster of that particular website. I thanked him for the fun quiz, but I questioned him on his small range of engines. Most notably, why no Studebaker V8?? He also mentioned the SOHC Ford in his clues, but didn't bother to even use one in his quiz!!
    Well, I got a response from that web site asking for some more engine photos so he can spice up his Engine ID quiz!![8D][8D]
    I have a nice photo of an R2 (Ted's Tomato) but I really want to also send a photo of an R1 powerplant.
    Do any of you have a photo of a restored R1 engine?? With or without the air filter housing would be OK.
    Either post it up here or email me the photo at:
    fjr340@comcast.net

THANKS!!

Frank Remlinger
    SDC# A004602R
    Frank Remlinger
    Detroit, Michigan
    SDC# A004602R

Great goin'! Will this work?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Matthew!
      I'll submit that and we'll see what happens! They have used other photos of engines on stands (even a 289 Ford resting on the ground) so this may work!!

Frank Remlinger
      SDC# A004602R
      Frank Remlinger
      Detroit, Michigan
      SDC# A004602R

Comment

Frank,

Before Mr. Biggs asks, can they slip in some sort of AMC motor? Also, if they are interested, I can send along a picture of my flathead Packard 8 cylinder.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Thanks for your work on this, Frank.

It's about 42 years late to help Studebaker new-car sales, but is nonetheless greatly appreciated from a historical standpoint!

(Come to think of it, I guess they don't make anything as unique and interesting as 1968/1969 Dart GTS/Swinger models any more, either!) [8D]BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Frank,

Before Mr. Biggs asks, can they slip in some sort of AMC motor? Also, if they are interested, I can send along a picture of my flathead Packard 8 cylinder.

Gary
            A 343/390/401 AMX/Rambler would work too. I have plenty of AMX photos, but no engine shots![:0]
            I have some cool Hyper-Pak slant six photos, and a Australian Hemi straight six with three side-draft webers, but I think the website wants V8 power only.

I sent them Matthew's R1 photo PLUS I sent Ted's R2 289 and another PSMCDR buddy, Frank Rice's 1957 312 Ford with a McCullough supercharger for the blower crowd. A pair 'o Pontiacs: 1966 421-3x2 and a 1967 400. A couple of Oldsmobiles: 350 W-31 Ramrod and a 1965 400 3x2 with the "Star Wars" air cleaner. And some Ford/Merc stuff: 1958 430 3x2, 1964 427 2x4, and a 1971 SCJ429 along with a Ford SOHC. I got tired of looking at the 409/348/396/283/327 Chevies in that last ID quiz![)][xx(]

Frank Remlinger
            SDC# A004602R
            Frank Remlinger
            Detroit, Michigan
            SDC# A004602R

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fastfritz
              A 343/390/401 AMX/Rambler would work too. I have plenty of AMX photos, but no engine shots![:0]
              Here is a 401

EDITED TO REMOVE THE MASSIVE PICTURE OF THE AMC 327

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fastfritz

Do any of you have a photo of a restored R1 engine?? With or without the air filter housing would be OK.
                Here's a couple of photos of a '63 Cruiser equipped with an R1.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig for showing off the James Bell Collection's '63 Cruiser R1 from our Whatcom County Chapter. All of that engine compartment and engine detailing, painting and final assembly is (hotwheels63r2) Mike's work! [^]

They are very happy with it and driving it at least monthly, if not more!
                  It was not built to get that last 400th point, it was built to dependably DRIVE, hence some incorrect hose clamps and the fuel line. Note the correct 40 Amp. Prestolite H.D. Alternator. [:0]

I think those R1's are the most beautiful Stude. engine, but look best in a car!! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It looks like Matthew already posted a pic of my Avanti R1. A few more can be found here if your interested:

Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

Comment

THANKS for all the responses!!

I received an email from AmericanTorque.com thanking me for the photos I submitted and they will start working on Engine ID Quiz Pt.II! We still have time so I think we can submit a few more! I do like that marine 327, but they want to see automotive applications!
                      That 401 on the ground WILL work as there are no visual clues to its origins-no engine bay, accessories, an tell-tale air cleaner housing!!

Frank Remlinger
                      SDC# A004602R
                      Frank Remlinger
                      Detroit, Michigan
                      SDC# A004602R

Comment

Working...
                      X