New Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Terminology

As a sort-of professional wordsmith, I enjoy the proper application of, ahem, euphemisms. So, a tip of the old Stetson is hereby tendered to writer Ted Steinmetz in the May/June 2008 White Triangle News from the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club.

Henceforth, thanks to Ted's polite vocabulary used to describe a friend's certain Hudson Wasp, all Studebakers with less-than-bone-dry engine lubrication systems when parked, will be said to have OIL INCONTINENCE. [:0] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob, thanks for sharing this. It's great. The term will be used from this time forward.

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

As long as the organizers of Local, Zone and National Meets don't require us to install a "Depends" before we show up, life is good! [}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Well, I suppose that's one way to put it! [)]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Mine doesn't have incontinence... it's just marking his territory wherever he goes...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
          '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

I was watching TV one day last week and there was one of those ads that feature the folks and creatures made of pipe. The ads address the problems of one's "leaky plumbing" and propose a particular perscription med to ask your Doc about. It struck me while watching this ad, these folks should be shown driving a Studebaker! They could depict them pulling into their driveway and then show them observing the developing spots under their Stude. The narrator could say something like: "Leaking a bit? Happens to the best of us from time to time!"[:I]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Or have a bag hang under the offending area like they do with the horses that pull carriages here in Charleston. Who gets to empty those bags anyway? [xx(]

Comment

Had a used car (63 Lark V8) come through my shop many years back. A previous owner, using an empty plastic quart milk jug with a slot cut in it, laying on its side wired up in place to catch the oil pouring from a rear main crank seal.[:0][B)] Wheather that previous owner unscrewed the cap on said milk carton, drained and reused the collected oil[xx(]...who knows! Never saw it before. Have not seen it since.

Remember...If it ain't leakin', it must be empty. Always check that oil.

Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Mine hasn't even been started yet and it leaked! By explanation... I turned it over by hand a couple revolutions when I was mating the trans to the block. Once the assembly lube got to the sump, it apparently dripped out of the un-torqued drain plug

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

An inventory of parts from a Studebaker dealer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa contained a couple of original oil drip sheets. I don't know if they where available from Studebaker or a parts house supplier. The sheets had fabric ties front and rear which were "tied" to the bumpers, providing a clean floor under the complete chassis, while the car was on the show room floor. Richard Quinn may have them in his stash of parts.

Comment

There's a great Studebaker showroom floor accessory; an oil drip sheet under a new car. Sheeeesh. What would you think if you saw that today? I guess it was practicality, but not a very smart selling thought. Weren't kids paid 50 cents an hour to clean up stuff quickly back then? That's what I was paid for sweeping, wiping and mopping..

Comment

Fifty cents an hour-WOW, I was paid ten cents and hour picking vegetables. Made twenty five cents an hour ushering in a theatre while in high school.

Comment

Working...
                        X