TAIL LiGHTS 50 commander 4 dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAIL LiGHTS 50 commander 4 dr

Ok I have a commander that I bought. I need to get the tail lights working. I have turn signal for Dr side no brake lights and no pass side turn signal But only in the back. the front sinde works fine. I also have No High beams and dash lights. I am guessing I have a wire off some where. So far I traced the wiring from the tail to the dash. All seems fine so far.

I need to know what the wires connect to for the tail lights to make sure they are connected right.

Also is there a common ground that might account for all these problems?

I jumped in to this pond and I am now I'm starting to swim in Studebaker stuff.
    Thanks
    AL

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
    17 years in the tattooing biz
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

For the rear lights, look for a junction bar (buss) on the firewall, driver's side. It has 5 connections. From top to bottom they are gas guage, tail lights, brake lights, left turn, and right turn. It's easy to check for voltage on the connections at that buss. Disconnect the rear harness wires before checking for voltage. When you find whether or not you have voltage, you can then re-connect and move toward the rear with your tracing diagnosis. I don't remember which wires, between the brake and tail, are which, but it is easy to know once you try the brake pedal and/or light switch. Another confusion for the same two functions is that the wire harness going from the plug at the rear tire area to the light fixture is not identifiable as to tail or brake, so just play with those two.

No common ground for all lights. Each light is grounded at the bulb base.

I haven't done any work on the front of mine, but from looking at the manual, it looks like you need to check the dimmer switch and the headlight switch. I didn't find any connection between front lighting and dash lighting.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

If your Commander has FACTORY 1950 turn signals, it has a seperate bulb in the taillight housings and parking lite housings for turn signals. This arrangement changed after 1950. Either way, there should be TWO bulbs under each lens. If there's not, then you've either got aftermarket turn signals or adapted later factory signals.
      The whole body of each light fixture is grounded, but each bulb socket can be not conducting that ground by virtue of corrosion between the socket and the body OR, the bulb base and the socket.

As Bob has said, you need to check the foot switch connections and operation as the foot switch gets ONE line of power from the headlite sw.. So if you've got low beams, the foot switch is getting power. The Inst lite Sw. is a seperate switch for 1950. It should be marked "Inst" OR "IL". Like was often the case with Studebaker circuits, they used circuit breakers that automatically reset after a cooling off period. These breakers were usually attached right to the switch they protect. They look like a little rectangular can with two terminal studs sticking up on one side.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You guys are great!
        I'll know a bit more now of what to look at and test.

Thanks so much!
        Al

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

sigpic
        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
        Shakopee Mn.
        952-445-3281

Comment

Thanks guys I just finished with the car and I don't quite know what I did but the turn signals now work. I put in a new tail light and I guess the base mounting plate wasn't bolted tight to the body enough to make a good ground. I have to check out to see if I have 1 bad bulb but all is working fine for the most part now.

Dose any one know of an after market Or new wire harness that is available for a 50 commander?
          If so where can I get one, Or who might make one?

Thanks again for all the help!

AL

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

sigpic
          I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
          Shakopee Mn.
          952-445-3281

Comment

Studebaker West, SI, SASCO; many Stude vendors can supply new wiring harnesses. There has been much discussion on cheaper, and equally acceptable, options. Use the "SEARCH" function at the top of this page.

If you are keeping it 6-volt make certain the harness is the heavier guage required.

If you are going for a show car you will want a new harness made with the original braided finish. This will increase the harness cost by about 120% and there are only a couple outside vendors that offer it.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X