new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new toy

I just got home with a 53 4 door 4H-W5, 4492, serial # 8318254.
    Tell me what these numbers tell you guys with all the info in your head. The aluminum looking striped plate (dash inlay) behind the hooded bezels is
    near mint. how do I clean and preserve without damaging it?

Tex in Alabama
    53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Sure Tex, nice find! The main thing is that this is a 4H, '53 Commander V-8!

The W5 is the standard wheelbase 4 dr. Sedan with the best trim level 5 Regal, which has all of the window surround and belt mouldings, extra trim and nicest interior.

Also it was the 4492nd. body welded up of that same W5 type that year.

The only way I know of to preserve aluminum is WAX it!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That panel isn't aluminum. It is just painted steel. Pretty delicate. A real neat thing to have it still in good shape. I'd just use a very mild soap to clean it...and don't rub too much.

I like those 53-54 4 doors. So practical, but with a hint of the flashy C and K styling. A nice sized car too. We'd probably call them intermediates today.

Post some pictures if you get a chance.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

South Bend-built Commander in Regal trim. One of 7,454 made. Serial #'s start at 8290001 and end at 8353332.
        Congrats. The '53/'54 sedans are certainly the club's "forgotten" cars, but I like them alot and had a '54 Champion Deluxe which has been sold into Holland recently.
        Find me a ready-to-go Landcruiser from those years. I'll take it!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
        47 M-5
        Izzer Buggy
        Junior Wagon
        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I bought this car for a donor for my Coupe. Mainly because it has
          all the original running gear. Now, after getting home it's starting to look like I might want this rat to ride me around a little. So, I
          may get it going. I know the dash piece I was talking about is not aluminum. It's just the nicest one I have ever seen. It's coming out to go in my coupe. I know how delicate the stripes are, and that's why I was asking what some of you had done to clean or maybe clear coat?, or what would protect it. I am going to try and get pictures on soon.

Tex in Alabama
          53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
          X