compatible transmissions - O.D. manual - bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compatible transmissions - O.D. manual - bad news

The syncronizers in Bess' tranny have gone bad. Also, the OverDrive howls when it's engaged. Bess is a 56B-D4 (Commander Parkview wagon) and I have a '52 Commander sedan. Both are V8s. So, is the transmission from my '52 Commander compatible? They look the same...

Could someone with the '52 shop manual look up the transmission for a '52 commander and tell me the model number? I can compare this to Bess' '56 OD tranny and see if they're the same. Then again, the '52 is 6 volt and the '56 is twelve. Since the govenour and the solenoid would be different, due to the differing voltages, would it be possible to just switch them and install the tranny?

As far as I know, the '52s transmission was fine thirty years ago. Certainly, it's in better condition than the one I'm currently using. The question is; Can I just switch trannys[?]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I think it should work. Can't really think of a reason why it wouldn't. Don't worry about the 6V vs. 12V governor and solenoid. I put a 6V solenoid in my '59 truck, and it works fine. Also, my uncle's '51 was converted to 12V, probably 20 years ago, and the OD still works fine. Nothing was changed on the OD setup.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The governor is the same between 6v and 12v cars. Only the solonoid is different. However, one *can* get by using a 6v solonoid on a 12v car.

Comment

Thanks guys! One reason I was asking if the solonoid and govenour could be switched was because I gave them away on this tranny. There was a fella in So. Cal. who needed them last year. As long as I can take them off Bess' current tranny and switch them over to Frumpy's tranny, we're in business! Now, if the whole thing just slides in...

Lotsa Larks!
        Ron Smith
        Ron Smith

Comment

There shouldn't be any problem switching those over. On the solenoid... With the trans in the car, you have to put the little shaft in the hole with the solenoid at an angle, and push and turn at the same time to get it lined up. Should all work fine, though.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well, I finally took a day off and tore apart both the '52 and partway, the '56. It's a no-go. The '56 clutch works off a bracket secured to the mid-point of the transmission case. The '52 does not. The holes weren't even drilled for that possible use (obviously a later idea). Ah, well, it was worth a try. Now all I have to do is fix the squishy and sticky clutch...

Lotsa Larks!
            Ron Smith
            Ron Smith

Comment

So put the guts of the '52 transmission into the '56 case. Or drill and tap the holes in the cast lugs, which ARE provided there, IIRC.

If you KNOW the '52 transmission is in A-1 shape, I'd say drilling and tapping the holes would be the least work. And fabricate a small block-off plate for the reverse lockout switch, not used on the '56.

If you are uncertain about the state of the '52 tranny's innards, I'd tear it down, and rebuild it, using new parts as required, into the '56 case. All the internals ought to fit OK, since they both short-tail T86.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Bams50 on this forum has a DVD of Gordr rebuilding a T-86 at last summer's International meet. He may still have copies available, or I can make a copy of the one I have if he is out. I've never done it, but it didn't look that hard and I wouldn't be afraid to try it after watching Gordr do it at the meet.

Comment

Working...
                X