Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling "light" - my 61 Lark got a wing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling "light" - my 61 Lark got a wing...

This is a bit lengthy...

I was on business trip for few days in Netherlands and on Saturday had some extra time. So I rented a car with intentions to check a 64 Daytona HT that was advertised. Well, the car was sold the day before - so I decided to drive to a parts vendor to check if he still had a set of NOS Aero Strut hubcaps there... same story -- hubcaps sold just a few days before my visit ( should have bought them earlier..[B)]) Luckily while going through the warehouse I noticed a NOS front fender. He was not willing to sell it - to get it I should buy a rusty 1962 Champ and then get the fender and two NOS doors also. To my relief I finally convinced him that as the fender is for a 1961 Lark it would be better to include the two good used 62 fenders he had for the Champ and sell the '61 fender to me.

I was a bit stressed though as I was flying home and package was gonna be quite a big one to take as luggage on to the plane.

I can tell that I did sweat quite a bit at the airport as first I had too much extra weight and then also the size ond shape of my packaging was becoming an issue. At the end they accepted my explanation that my Lark needs a "wing" to fly again... and I got it on to the plane. So now I have 3 NOS fenders waiting for the 61 Lark conv that I expect to arrive in four -five weeks from US.

Some pics of how to pack your fenders properly when you want to travel light... and the guy who used the plastic wwraping service for suitcases first said no but after the story behing was also willing to do the service to help the Lark to fly again.[8D]

BTW in my luggage was also a used 4 speed (bench seat) shifter, last pair of the vendor's 61 Lark ( new - TEACO repro) taillights and some other Studebaker stuff as well...

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
    sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Great story! Congratulations, Pekka, on getting your "prizes" home. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick. I actually made also one quick "pit stop" during my trip to say Hello to Joop Stolze who is a Dutch collector and dealer with a huge amount old iron stored in a big greenhouse ( some 750-800 cars) ... He has strong feelings towards Studebakers and Packards and thus he has few in his collction. The Studebakers that are for sale are a bit pricey especially concerning the dollar rate but some of the Packards are really not for sale... but some rarities like the french Ford Comete with bigger V8 than the Simcas and Facel Vegas and Nash Healeys that you do not see too often...[8D]

Most of the Studebakers come from west coast USA some ( like a bit worn out 58 GH from SC and some are Belgium plant production. Anyway a nice place to spend some time even though it is not a touristic place but I know him since quite afew years now. Some pics here

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
      sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
      X