PDA

View Full Version : a/c stuff for my 61 lark

drnittler
05-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Does anybody know where I can get a/c stuff that would be correct for my 61 Lark, W model 6 Cylinder, automatic. I especially need the underdash evalorator and what ever went with it. Thanks.

David G. Nittler

ChampTrucking
05-23-2008, 10:30 AM
convince me there is enough space to stuff an evaporator between that grill and the radiator!

StudeRich
05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
There must be plenty of room there, the factory and the Aftermarket A/C shops did them. There is the same amount of space as the V-8's that more commonly had A/C.

David, it's not the space I would be worried about! With a 6 Cyl. Automatic it's the power required to turn those big heavy A/C compressors that will be a problem. You may be cool, but you'll have to stay in the parking lot, because it will barely move! :( I hope you live where the terrain is level! [:0]

Added: David; since we are answering this post, you can delete the dup. using the trash can icon. You may not know you posted!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

mbstude
05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Just use a Sanden compressor. They don't use nearly as much HP as those old Yorks.

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/trucks_SNM3.jpg

52-fan
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Someone out there will have the parts for your a/c . Unless you want a show correct restoration, an after market unit would also be an option. As Matthew says, a modern rotary compressor will be easier on your engine. I talked to a man a couple of weeks ago who had an air conditioner on his 50 Champion and he said that although he could feel the a/c when it kicked in, it caused no driveability issues.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas

skyway
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I thought you graduated tonight?

mbstude
05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Graduation starts at 8:00 PM. :)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/trucks_SNM3.jpg

pitbulllady
05-23-2008, 01:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

convince me there is enough space to stuff an evaporator between that grill and the radiator!

My '61 Lark has an AC, and the evaporator fits quite nicely between the grill and the radiator. It was installed in 1998, though, so it's a modern unit that probably does not require as much space as the older ones. That car has a V8, so it has no trouble pulling the compressor; I can't even tell when the compressor cuts in or out, unlike my two gas-savers, which have four-cylinder engines.

pitbulllady

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Automotive/CloneofDSCF4452.jpg

railway
05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
didn't 61 factory air in a Lark have an A/C- Heater combo unit the only time Studebaker did it. Dealer install was under dash. With R-12 hard to get go with modern condensor and compressor.
We had a 63 factory air 6cyl, worked great and no notic of power loss. of course I'm not in the mountains.

Ebon...

studegary
05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by railway

didn't 61 factory air in a Lark have an A/C- Heater combo unit the only time Studebaker did it. Dealer install was under dash. With R-12 hard to get go with modern condensor and compressor.
We had a 63 factory air 6cyl, worked great and no notic of power loss. of course I'm not in the mountains.

Ebon...

Yes, 1961 Larks had the only integrated fresh air A/C-heater unit used by Studebaker. It is a nice unit, but will be hard to find. I have seen pictures of the unit, but I do not remember ever seeing one.
If you are not concerned with origiality, go with a modern A/C unit, like from Vintage Air, etc.
There are the prior posts about the evaporator fitting between the radiator and the grille. Doesn't the condensor go in front of the radiator and the evaporator go inside the cabin (or am I confused)?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

52-fan
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, the condenser is at the grille and the evaporator in or under the dash. I started to comment on this, but thought it was brain fade of some sort.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas

55 prez
05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a period correct '60 evaporator installed under the dash of my '55 President and it works very well when I can keep gas in it. I still haven't found the leak but it will be great when I do and I'm still searching. I have a rotary Sanden under the hood with a two belt installation as described on the Studebaker forum several years ago. This installation has the alternator and compressor running on the same belt and saves having to find and change the crankshaft pulley to a two belt unit. Good Luck on your search. They do turn up occasionally at swap meets.
Jim C.

55 prez
05-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I forgot to mention that one of our members; in fact the one that did my system, has a beautiful little '50 Champion Starlite Coupe that he installed A/C in and it works great but does slow slightly on steeper hills here in the Ozarks when the A/C is turned on.
Jim C.