PDA

View Full Version : No car show for the baby this weekend

cabrina
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Poor Stude, went for a test run tonight through the neighborhood prior to attempting a run for the Roses tomorrow night. Brakes were not up to snuff. Checked the master cylinder, it was a little low so filled it up but didn't bleed since it wasn't excessive. Couple of stops in reverse to make sure the self adjusters were working. Not bad pedal plus the pumping surely helped. Forward was a different story. Sinking again so I'm sure either the master is faulty or I've got a wheel cylinder leaking somewhere. Could also have pin holes in the hard or flex lines. Guess I know what I'll be tracking down Memorial Day weekend!!! Already have had the adventure of stopping a heavy runaway Stude before so don't want to try that again. Luckily I didn't use the vehicle in front of me just a strip mall parking area with a couple of potholes. Hope the baby won't be too disappointed missing out on rubbing elbows and upstaging the Fords and Chevys.

Cabrina Dieters
1950 Starlight Coupe
1961 Lark Cruiser
Murfreesboro TN

barnlark
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Smart decision, cabrina. There will be plenty of other safe warm days to tease the furds and chebbies on the dance floor this summer. Nothing worse than having that heart rate go up in your throat when the Stude won't stop where you want it to out there. Memorial weekend is for respecting and appreciating those who gave their lives for you and I to still have the freedom to do anything we want in 2008. Working on that car's brakes for your safety is a great idea. Too bad you couldn't relax, though!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0087-1.jpg

cabrina
05-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, Barnlark. After seeing Matthew's pretty orange truck all smashed in I know it is best the Cruiser stays parked till all is well. I'll tease some Mustangs next month.

Happy Memorial Day to all our current and former men and women in uniform! I am grateful for your service!

Cabrina

Mark57
05-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I feel your pain, I was in the same boat last fall when I wanted to take my new "pride & joy" to a Zone Meet, but had to address a number of minor issues before I could have him roadworthy. Took my time and now, I can go anytime without worries!

A long weekend is a good time to pull some drums! ;)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0099A.jpg

jackb
05-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Cabrina...unless you know for sure that your (61') Cruiser was re-equipped with 63' or later brakes....there are no "self" adjusters. You adjust them manually. Even so, I believe you set the self adjusters stopping forward....

cabrina
05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Mark and Jack. The weather is really gorgeous today so am bummed that I can't go cruising tonight but it is better to be safe than sorry. No matter how disappointing. Glad to know about the lack of self adjusters. Is the brake set-up radically different on the Cruiser from my 50? Other than the master mounted on the firewall? I have the shop manual for it but not the 61 yet. The steel line leading out of the master looks slightly rusty so I'm betting the underside lines are worse. Probably not a daily driver before I purchased it. Will have to go through the whole system before mingling with the Chebbies. :(

Cabrina

52-fan
05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Cabrina,
The basic brake system on the 50 and 61 are the same, but the brake adjusters at the wheel are different. The 50 will have a cam to adjust the shoes as you can see in your manual. The 61 will have a star wheel at the bottom of each pair of shoes which is turned by reaching through a slot in the backing plate. The correct manual will be a help, but the basic system is the same as lots of other cars during that era or you could refer to a Motors or Chiltons manual at the local library.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas