Studebaker business cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker business cards

The recent post entitled "A R Erskine" by txluck1 got me to digging into the business card album. It occurred to me that this is a topic that I have not seen covered on this forum. I have been collecting Studebaker related business cards for several years and these include both factory executives as well as dealers. I have at least a hundred including those shown above. These are great little historic collectibles that can usually be purchased cheaply. I am curious as to whether any other newsgroup regulars collect these original cards and if so perhaps we could exchange duplicates as I have many to trade. I am not referring here to modern cards of SDC members but of the original pre 1966 type.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Pretty cool idea for a collection, now you've just increased demand. I'll see if I have any in my stash.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

you have Ab Jenkins' business card? That IS cool.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

What Nate said. [^]

Quite impressive, as usual, Mr. Quinn.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The "Holy Grail" of Studebaker business cards would be one belonging to an original brother. How far back do business cards go? I mean, when did the practice of handing out b. cards begin? A Knute Rockne card would be a real collectable, too.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
          47 M-5
          Izzer Buggy
          Junior Wagon
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Dick,
            This looks like it could be a great topic for the Almanac in Turning Wheels. Fascinating subject.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks for the input. Referring to the image above the card at the lower left is an original given out by J.M. and the person receiving it had placed the date 1904 in pencil on it. I believe at the time these were referred to as "calling cards" rather than business cards. The other three were distributed to those attending the wake or memorial service of the three brothers at the time of their passing. As such they are not exactly business cards..

Richard Quinn
              Richard Quinn

Comment

quote:you have Ab Jenkins' business card? That IS cool.
                Yeah!
                Stude folks like it, land speed racers like it, Indy fans like it, Pierce-Arrow and Duesenberg guys like it.

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Very neat!
                  Here's a couple from the dealer that was in my town.
                  My friend found the Lark card going through the dealer's office before it was torn down.
                  I found the Packard card in a wallet that was thrown out after the dealer's estate sale.
                  John V.

Comment

John;

I have one of the Kickert's cards. I visited there when they were still in business. In fact the old parts inventory is about 10 miles from me and I plan to go over to see what is left in the next week or so. I cannot read the information on the Packard card.

Here's one if you are looking to start a collection. I already called it to the attention of Bob Palma who hung around Snider's as a youngin. He says the card is from c1958 before he started bothering them in the summer of '62. He does not know the salesman. In my opinion $10 is a little high for a business card! Wish I could sell mine for that!

Richard Quinn
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

quote:Originally posted by STEWDI

The "Holy Grail" of Studebaker business cards would be one belonging to an original brother. How far back do business cards go? I mean, when did the practice of handing out b. cards begin? A Knute Rockne card would be a real collectable, too.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                      47 M-5
                      Izzer Buggy
                      Junior Wagon
                      Roger,Noted your mention of Knute Rockne. I have the original Studebaker Corporation contract signed by Knute on March 19th 1931 to the position of Manager of Sales Promotion at $10,000 per annum commencing 1st May 1931. Sadly he lost his life in the plane crash over Kansas 12 days later.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                      MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Hi Richard!
                        I'm new to posting pictures on here. Sorry you couldn't see the packard card. It shows up large on my computer but it's was small on the computer at work[?]
                        I'll try again

Yeah, 10 bucks might be too high, I might have a few more, these two I had scanned a few years back.
                        I'm surprised those parts are still around. Hope you find something good!
                        John V.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

The recent post entitled "A R Erskine" by txluck1 got me to digging into the business card album. It occurred to me that this is a topic that I have not seen covered on this forum. I have been collecting Studebaker related business cards for several years and these include both factory executives as well as dealers. I have at least a hundred including those shown above. These are great little historic collectibles that can usually be purchased cheaply. I am curious as to whether any other newsgroup regulars collect these original cards and if so perhaps we could exchange duplicates as I have many to trade. I am not referring here to modern cards of SDC members but of the original pre 1966 type.

Richard Quinn
                          Naples, FL
                          1963 Avanti R2524
                          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

In the early 50's, I visited a tire store to buy convertible top dressing. I think it was the Firestone store. Ab Jenkins was there apparently representing the company. He showed me his belt buckle. It stated he was the world's fastest farmer. As I recall, he had driven a Allis-Chalmers tractor with a blower 68MPH. He was very friendly and I got his autograph. Unfortunately, I cannot find it now. I didn't know whom he was until I had the pleasure of meeting him and since then I have heard or read about some of his exploits in racing and association with Studebaker.

Naples, FL
                            1963 Avanti R2524
                            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                            X