cheap avanti's FS (x 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap avanti's FS (x 2)

I know I know "nothing more exp than a cheap avanti" well someone needs to buy these, I know nothing of the cars just passing the links
    Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)

Yikes! Izzat RUST on the hood of that first one???[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

WOW $6K for the 2nd one and it needs Hog Troughs? No Thanks!!!
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I replaced the right side with stainless steel on my R2 about 3 years ago. Lots of "fun"! Now trying to talk myself into replacing the left side in this Texas heat. 102 degrees recently.
          Allen

Comment

As they said in the greatest salesman movie of all time entitled "Used Cars", " Ma'am,it is not an old taxicab, that is yellow primer".

Comment

I looked at the 78 last month. The underside is totally rusted out. The crazy thing is the doors don't sag. The car came out of Indiana and was sold new in Indy. I talked to Mike Baker(President of AOAI) and he said he drove this car to the Charlotte meet and it ran and drove great. I have some detailed pictures if anyone is interested. The car was donated to a charity down here and the proceeds will go to it.
              Denny L

Comment

I had one that the doors were fine on too, but the rear frame almost broke in half on a big bump.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeah I told myself it wasn't worth the trip across town to inspect, stands to reason if the hog troughs are gone then the rest isn't far behind, or do hog troughs rust out that much earlier then frames?

quote:Originally posted by Green53

I looked at the 78 last month. The underside is totally rusted out. The crazy thing is the doors don't sag. The car came out of Indiana and was sold new in Indy. I talked to Mike Baker(President of AOAI) and he said he drove this car to the Charlotte meet and it ran and drove great. I have some detailed pictures if anyone is interested. The car was donated to a charity down here and the proceeds will go to it.
                  Denny L

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

No harm in going to look, just leave your checkbook home (smile).

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Hi, Russ,

Yes, hog troughs can be gone and the frame might be fine. If an Avanti sits outside where rainwater can drain into the hog troughs, but not out, the windshield posts and hogtroughs can be rusted away, but the frame, mostly protected from rainwater, might have only surface rust.

If it is a rust-belt car, then the rear frame, not protected by the Studebaker V8 automatic-rust-prevention-direct-oiling system, will rust away. The Avanti-only mild-steel-tube rear crossmember is also very rust-prone, but easy to replace.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X