PDA

View Full Version : More on Studebaker's Dirty Dozen

Studebaker Wheel
05-22-2008, 01:00 AM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/dirtydozen.jpg

Really now guys I am very disappointed in you. I have always thought you read TW (and especially the Almanac column) word for word and committed it to memory. If you had you would have been able to respond correctly to the gentlemanís question regarding Studebaker's "Dirty Dozen." The answer is to be found on page 26 of the Feb 2008 issue. The 12 men shown above represented the last of the hourly employees at Studebaker and collectively they accounted for 567 years of service or approximately 47 years per man! The photo was taken by Carl Thompson shortly before Plant 8 closed in 1972. Now you know the "rest of the story."

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

Chris Pile
05-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks for that, Dick!

Chris Pile
Midway Chapter SDC
The Studebaker Special

52hawk
05-22-2008, 05:09 AM
Mr Quinn,time for me to 'fess up! When I bought my Hawk in 2002,I received with it two large boxes of TW back issues-from the current month,back a full 10 years.
The word 'almanac' was old fashioned to me,think'farmers almanac'and history was my least favorite subject-so I never read a single word of all those TW almanacs! Well,one morning I was out of reading material,picked up an old TW, and it fell open to the almanac. What I began reading was some of the best stuff I'd ever read since grade school!Very informative and entertaining.
Yes!Over the next few weeks, I went back through every issue and read 99% of your wonderful writing in the 'old fashioned' almanac! Thank You so much for all that great reading material! Now if I could only REMEMBER 10% of it all! Thank You Sir!!

Oglesby,Il. http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/52hawk/100_0824-1-2.jpg
"Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"

HAWK64
05-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Dick,I'm starting to feel & look like that original " dirty dozen " at 72 years young and an ex employee of Studebaker here in Melbourne.

http://www.studebakercarclub.net/jim.jpg
"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
MELBOURNE.

avantilover
05-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Are you coming to Portland Jim?

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

Avantidon
05-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Dick, I read all of your musings as they are fascinating. I remember the picture and the article (just read it again) but never put two and two together until seeing it here again. Sorry for the memory lapse.

Skip Lackie
05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Dick- Didnít some of those guys go on to work for more years at either Avanti Motors or Avanti Parts Corp? I seem to remember meeting a couple of them during my first trips to South Bend in the middle 1970s. John Poulos was my tour guide.

And as you know, at least some of the white-collar workforce went on to work at either Avanti Parts or Avanti Motors. I remember having several pleasant conversations about the old days with John Duncan, who was manager of Avanti Parts Corp. He had been head of the Fleet Sales Dept at Studebaker, and I believe had other jobs during Studeís final years.

Mr. Duncan was kind enough to give JDP and me unfettered access to the upper floors of Building 69, the old Stude parts depot, which we methodically combed for days looking for goodies. Several times a day we would ride the old freight elevator down to the ground floor to add to the piles of loot that we had found (and also to use the bathroom). The Studebaker parts depot stored everything in numerical order, which made searching easy (Newman & Altman and the current SASCO have never been able to do that). Nevertheless, we looked in each drawer and shelf in search of treasures. We even had special equipment, including minerís lamps (lighting in that building was pretty poor), coolers full of sodas and snacks (so we didnít have to waste time going out for lunch), a clipboard with plenty of paper, and special footware to climb up the shelves. At the end of the week, we would pull out a checkbook or credit card and total up how much our vacation had cost us.

I have fond memories of those South Bend visits, and I have Mr. Duncan (and JDP) to thank for them.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

JDP
05-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I recall us being responsible for many parts going NLA, like the 2R truck fog lights and hood nameplates. :)

JDP/Maryland

barnlark
05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Still have a nos 1960 wiring harness in that stash? They can't find those at Sasco yet..

Skip Lackie
05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

I recall us being responsible for many parts going NLA, like the 2R truck fog lights and hood nameplates. :)

JDP/Maryland

I don't think of myself as particularly selfish, but there is a selfish pleasure in grabbing the last one of something that you know other people will want. On the other hand, some of those "last ones" turned out to be garbage. (That's probably why they were still in the bin.) I got a whole set of C-cab weatherstripping during one of those visits to South Bend. It is now as hard as a rock, and nice soft reproduction weatherstripping is available.

"Still have a nos 1960 wiring harness in that stash? They can't find those at Sasco yet.."

I dunno about John, but I wasn't buying anything for resale. If I did, I would surely go broke, as I tend to buy high and sell low. So no, I don't have any wiring for a 60 Lark. In those days I was only buying parts for C-cab trucks and 64 Daytonas and Cruisers.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Roscomacaw
05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I've long regretted not laying in a case or two of those manual roll-up antennas. They were available from Newman & Altman for years at about $15 apiece![V] And GT Hawk grille shells! HOw I wish I'd had the foresight to squirrel a number of those away. Talk about your precious metals![:0][:p]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

HAWK64
05-22-2008, 10:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Are you coming to Portland Jim?

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

John,After a phone call from Trevor Hughes last night I've now booked a room at Portland for the June weekend.

http://www.studebakercarclub.net/jim.jpg
"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
MELBOURNE.