R-SERIES GAS TANK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-SERIES GAS TANK

Does anyone have a picture or drawing with dimensions of the R-series gas tank-1558795- on where the return line goes into the tank as described by JDP? As John stated, it goes in the top rear corner, but I would like some dimensions.
    Thanks
    Paul Lausch

I installed the return line in my Hawk's Gas tank. It does go up in the top right hand side just past the radius point and maybe 6" from the edge of the tank when your looking at the tank from the bottom.

Caution where you place this welded/soldered nipple on the gas tank because the frame rail or a body support is very close by during the flexible hose installation. If the the tank is still in the car I would creep under the car and inspect the location to be able to install the rubber hose onto the tank and mark it with a sharpie pen with a X. I had a heck of a time putting the gas line on the tank in the location that I installed it and it was very close to the original location. FYI, there is very little room up there to push a hose onto that nipple. I spotted my return line on my gas tank from just a visual of an R1 Hawk when I already had the tank out and thought nothing of it until I install the tank and tried to put the hose on. Use the sharpie to spot your own location near the top of the tank just past the radius and far enough away from the frame rail that you can get your hands in there to push the hose on.

Good luck

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
    Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
    See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks your input. It appears if I GO IN 4" from the corner that would work. Then I am still away from the rib in the tank.
      Paul Lausch

Comment

Sorry Paul it was not the frame rail or the rib in the gas tank. Must be "old timers" kicking in early or my memory files are full. It was the exhaust pipe that gave me the trouble. When you run that return line along the frame rail leave enough pipe to go behind the exhaust pipe to allow for the flexible hose to come around the back side of the exhaust. I did not have my Silvertone Exhaust installed when I installed the return line and to my surprise it was too close to the angled exhaust pipe. I would have liked it over about another 1" further toward the fuel supply line.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
        Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
        See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have the gas tank out of our '63 at this time. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post.

Perry
          '23 Special Six,
          '50 Business Champ,
          '50 Starlight Champ,
          '60 Lark droptop,
          '63 GT R1
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks!!!!!!!!! I will be looking for the post
            PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

I've taken the photo, but I'm having a problem uploading it to Photobucket. I've reduced the size as requested on this site. I select the file and get an instant response that the "upload failed". I've done this several times in the past and posted the photos okay, but it's been several weeks since I've done it. Any thoughs? I've looked at their help section with the usual results, no help.

Perry
              '23 Special Six,
              '50 Business Champ,
              '50 Starlight Champ,
              '60 Lark droptop,
              '63 GT R1
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fpstude

I've taken the photo, but I'm having a problem uploading it to Photobucket. I've reduced the size as requested on this site. I select the file and get an instant response that the "upload failed". I've done this several times in the past and posted the photos okay, but it's been several weeks since I've done it. Any thoughs? I've looked at their help section with the usual results, no help.

Perry
                Perry - I just loaded some pictures to Photobucket a couple of hours ago using the usual method without issues...? Could it be a software glitch on your machine? Sometimes a "reboot" makes uncooperative software work.[B)]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Mark, thanks for the response. The "reboot" didn't help. I saw an option to use and older method to upload. It worked. Here is the tank photo.

Hope the photo helps.

Perry
                  '23 Special Six,
                  '50 Business Champ,
                  '50 Starlight Champ,
                  '60 Lark droptop,
                  '63 GT R1
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Hi Stude members. I found this old thread on Gas Tanks for the R-Series vehicles.
                    I knew about the return line, and that is an easy job for a Radiator shop.

Here is my question. Did the R-Series tank have a larger output line than the standard 5/16'' ?
                    I'm thinking the Supercharged cars would be needing larger fuel volume.

You can add 3/8 line going to the pump, but if the original tank output is still 5/16'', that could be like sucking thru a straw.

What did Studebaker provide?

We always talk about adding R1 / R2 Series engines, but the tank changes necessary for fuel delivery, never seem to be discussed.

The reason I am asking is my 60 Lark R2 conversion seems to starve for fuel, when the VS-57 Supercharger is on boost. Experience surging. Otherwise it runs fine.
                    I'm thinking it has something to do with my tank still having a 5/16 output.

Has anyone modified a tank, adding a 3/8'' output line? The originals are soldered to the bottom of the tanks.

Thanks
                    Stude-Preferred

Comment

Gas tank

This tank has a 3/8 line coming out the front, but the line on the inside of the tank runs to the rear, so you always have fuel
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stude-Preferred View Post
                        Hi Stude members. I found this old thread on Gas Tanks for the R-Series vehicles.
                        I knew about the return line, and that is an easy job for a Radiator shop.

Here is my question. Did the R-Series tank have a larger output line than the standard 5/16'' ?
                        I'm thinking the Supercharged cars would be needing larger fuel volume.

You can add 3/8 line going to the pump, but if the original tank output is still 5/16'', that could be like sucking thru a straw.

What did Studebaker provide?

We always talk about adding R1 / R2 Series engines, but the tank changes necessary for fuel delivery, never seem to be discussed.

The reason I am asking is my 60 Lark R2 conversion seems to starve for fuel, when the VS-57 Supercharger is on boost. Experience surging. Otherwise it runs fine.
                        I'm thinking it has something to do with my tank still having a 5/16 output.

Has anyone modified a tank, adding a 3/8'' output line? The originals are soldered to the bottom of the tanks.

Thanks
                        Stude-Preferred

Well, IMHO, 5/16 is adequate for the R2 SC engine... So, to further undersand the issue...
                        What fuel pump are you using?
                        Are you compensating additional fuel pressure wile under boost? ie. Boost line to the fuel pump
                        What does your fuel lines look like to your carburetor..
                        Are you using the AC fuel filter with the return line vent on it?
                        What Carburetor are you using, and who tuned it with the jets and rods..

One thing I do is look for restrictions of flow, such as fittings.. the brass fittings on the fuel pump/filter and carb all are points of restriction.

You can drill out the center a bit more and still maintain the flare seal between the line and fitting. This is really an overlook item when thinking of fuel delivery.

Ultimately, the orifice on the needle seats inside the carb are way smaller than 5/16, and the jets orifice are small than the needle seats.

Then start looking at fuel pressure. Hook up a gague while driving and see where it is at under vacuum and under boost... Hopfuly the pressure will increase under boost..

If not, then you has a fuel pump issue..

Just some simple things to do and think of before the major task of going to a 3/8 line.

Seb

Comment

Working...
                        X