PDA

View Full Version : Bob got his production order, guess what?

BobGlasscock
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I have questions, and have searched. In fact, I found a thread started by gstine (who has no current history) which had two of the questions I had and neither were answered. So....

Can I find out what dealer is #8 in Hutchinson, Kansas. That IS the city where my mother and dad bought the car.

Under how to ship is 4 DM-U. What?

The suffix after 9GW3 ( which I DO know) is SONG, which I don't know.

Paint number is 2236 BER. Much discussion on earlier thread about 2263 which many though was a special order. I grew up knowing this color as Forest Green. Is it?

The trim number is 7484 OG MO-1. The earlier thread comments stated that this was probably a commercial order, but my car was NOT purchased as a commercial order, just an everyday plain jane dealer stock car. The fabric was gray, but that is all I remember. What more does this number mean?

That's all my questions, thanks for your help.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Transtar60
05-19-2008, 05:16 PM
SONG is probably a telegraph code word. The code words are listed in the front of the appropriate parts manuals, at least in all the ones I have for later Stude car and trucks. Telegraph code words were used to save money on telegrams.

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10056/5E13%20Pic%203.JPG
3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28

59 Lark
etc

Warren Webb
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I dont see a "song" abriviation listed in the parts manual on the page that gives all the abriviations.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

N8N
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I seem to recall that there were special codes, at least for some years, for dealers to order certain specific models/colors/combinations of options without having to fill out a full order form/option sheet. However, I can't remember where I read this, and a quick scan of the 1949-1950 service bulletins makes no mention of this.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Studebaker Wheel
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I have questions, and have searched. In fact, I found a thread started by gstine (who has no current history) which had two of the questions I had and neither were answered. So....

Can I find out what dealer is #8 in Hutchinson, Kansas. That IS the city where my mother and dad bought the car.

#8 is the zone, the dealer name was Bevan Motor Co.

Under how to ship is 4 DM-U. What?

The DM is the name of the shipper Dallas & Mavis, the 4 is likely the number of cars making up this shipment.

The suffix after 9GW3 ( which I DO know) is SONG, which I don't know.

SONG is the telegraph code for a DELUXE CHAMPION 4DR with Overdrive

Paint number is 2236 BER. Much discussion on earlier thread about 2263 which many though was a special order. I grew up knowing this color as Forest Green. Is it?

2236 BER is the paint code for Bermuda Green

The trim number is 7484 OG MO-1.The earlier thread comments stated that this was probably a commercial order, but my car was NOT purchased as a commercial order, just an everyday plain jane dealer stock car. The fabric was gray, but that is all I remember. What more does this number mean?

This was the standard gray cloth. Most of the cars came with what they referred to as Mohair (i.e. the MO abbreviation), though it is different than the pre WWII mohair.

That's all my questions, thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

Great, hope you are having fun with it.

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

BobGlasscock
05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Mr. Quinn,

Thank you very much. I am humble enough to feel honored that you answered my questions.
Yes, I am having fun with it. It is a quite dependable driver, which is what my goal has been since it was parked in '67. The PO verified a date that I have kidded about for many years. My car was ordered (may I say conceived?) on 11-18-49, and I was born on 7-17-50 -- one month premature. Hmmm. My 93 year old father was ecstatic when he first saw it restored, my mother was pleased, and my older brother truly amazed. My mother hated having the car after we quit driving it, but my dad persevered in keeping it for future restoration, and I think we are all happy he stood his ground. And I am thrilled that I now hold the car's legacy.

I digress, thanks again. I also found nothing in the telegraph codes, but that has now been answered. When I get that perfect photo on my avotar, I will bore everyone with the whole story.

4961Studebaker
05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock
[ When I get that perfect photo on my avotar, I will bore everyone with the whole story.

[^] Nah...no bore....we will be waiting.

UPDATE: I took the liberty to do some quick searches for this dealership since I have friends that moved from Hutchinson KS. It appears the owner of said dealership died in 2000. (obit online) obit names a dealership in Hiawatha. (which is quite far from Huthcinson so can't confirm 100% he owned both.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20000113/ai_n11739255
Also there's an interesting legal mater concerning an individual who bought a 64 Avanti from a Bevan Motor Co. dealership and was named in a legal case that made it to the Oklahoma supreme court. (1968) Two banks were arguing as to which bank had ownership of said vehicle.
I could only access the site ONCE before trying again to find I had to "sign" up. Anyone interested may have to Google Bevan Motor Company and it pops up #1 or #2

Chop Stu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/resizeChopStu-1.jpg