PDA

View Full Version : Report: Brown County Raceway "Studebaker Drags"

BobPalma
05-19-2008, 06:44 AM
[8D] Here goes for a second try on this report. I had one done last evening, having spent the better part of an hour on it, and hit something wrong and lost the whole thing. :( It had been a long day and that was the last straw, so we're back at it this morning. ;)

Richard Poe's "Studebakers at The Bean" was a rousing success. We had nine Studebakers and one Hudson appear in the Orphan Group. We might have had more Hudsons, but most Indiana Hudson folks were at one of two Hudson meets in northern Indiana this weekend, annual events scheduled well before Richard's event was created.

Nonetheless, Indianapolis Hudson enthusiast Ralph Alden was warmly welcomed with his highly-modified, pure drag racer 1950 Pacemaker Coupe with 1956 Hornet 308 power...and that's not all! Ralph's 308 is fed by a modified [b]1957 Golden Hawk supercharger pushing air into an R2 Studebaker AFB carburetor...complete with tag on the carb! Ralph has campaigned this car for some time and saw his best-ever eighth-mile at "The Bean" during yesterday's event: 10.428 seconds! Congrats, Ralph.

Of the nine Studebakers at the event, organizer Richard Poe's R1/4-speed Lark, the famous charcoal car from The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, also bettered his own best time in the eighth-mile not once, but twice!

Brown County Raceway is kind of Richard's "home strip," as he spends many weekends there tuning his '63 Lark. Before yesterday's event, however, his best eighth-mile ever had been 9.070 seconds. His first run during this event was a personal record-setting 9.062, but he wasn't done! Later in the day, he bettered that with a 9.059! So he broke his personal record twice in the same day!

Sadly, that's not all he broke. His Lark's differential didn't appreciate the competition as much as did everyone else. Richard and Ted Harbit decided that Ted needed to test-drive the car at the end of the day, to see if Ted could better Richard's time. Ted staged normally and the lights came down and Ted launched...and the car just sat there at the line, the differential going crunch-crunch-crunch. Bummer. Yes, it had been a long day in competition!

Richard lives nearby and had driven the car to the track, but it wasn't to be driven home. Joe Bacon donated his enclosed truck and trailer and the car was trailered home in due course. Joe returned to pick up his own 1963 Daytona hardtop for its trip back to Indianapolis.

Frank Van Doorn's cute 1941 Champion 2-door with R2 power and Turbohydramatic was the star of the Studebaker show, as would be expected. The fact that Frank had driven all the way from Omaha NE to participate in this event was not lost on the event's announcer. Brown County Raceway is a small outlaw track nestled in a deep valley in hilly Brown County. It's not accustomed to having national celebrities like Frank Van Doorn travel across several states to attend a meet. Every time Frank pulled his '41 to the line, the announcer happily mentioned Frank having "traveled all the way from Omaha Nebraska to compete at our little track here in the valley."

Here are the nine Studebakers that competed, with the best eighth-mile time for each listed: (no particular order)

1. Richard Poe. Charcoal 1963 Lark Custom 2-door, R1/4-speed: 9.059.

2. Rich Meadows. Light Blue 1950 Champion business coupe: 14.730.

3. Erin Hays. Green 1961 Hawk, 289/225, 3-speed: 10.930.

4. Jim Roberts. Aqua 1963 Avanti, R2/Powershift: 10.140.

5. Ted Harbit.

Avantidon
05-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Bob, thanks for posting all of this neat stuff. Always great to see what Studes can do n the track and always a pleasure to see the general public stand there with mouths open saying a Studebaker did that? WOW!!!!

63larkr1
05-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Bob,
If you don't mind a couple clarifications. Iím amazed that you can keep up with everything so well. I know itís not easy so I want you to know I appreciate it.
Ted wasnít trying to beat my times, he was doing me a favor so I could see my car go down the track. He was reluctant to even drive it. The rear end had popped on run three but we thought it was the shocks loose in the back, obviously not. It was just a matter of time and Tedís bad luck that it broke on him on run seven. Itís a stock rear end and it has shown signs that it was no longer working properly for the last year. He didnít push it, he only went about a foot. I talked Ted into running it because my son was afraid he would hurt it.

Incidentally, I've raced here only three other times, and the best at this track before yesterday was a 9.10. The 9.070 I reported to Bob was actually at Muncie during the Pure Stock Race there. I hadn't clarified to Bob as to where the 9.070 had been achieved.

More later, Richard

63larkr1
05-19-2008, 09:22 AM
All,
The ďStudebakers at the Bean Drag RaceĒ was as Bob said in an earlier post ďa rousing successĒ.

I would like to thank everyone that came both to race and just to watch. The track treated us well and remains enthusiastic about having us back. They went out of their way to make us welcome and we in turn made their day. I heard only good comments and they loved the cars, who wouldnít? Our representation of the Studebaker and Hudson makes was outstanding. The day went smoothly thanks to the drivers. Everyone followed track officials instructions and our class was always in the lanes on time and ready to go, not always the case with other classes.

Oh yes, when I was in the tower I did have one complaint from the statistician who held up her camera she brought to the track to photograph the Studebakers. She said she had been too busy to get up to see the cars!

The cars that came were all impressive, and thanks to (in order of appearance) Ted Harbit, Ralph Alden, Frank Van Doorn, Stan Meadows, Rich Meadows, Chuck Kern, Erin Hays, Tony Bacon, and Jim Roberts, for racing their cars. I canít list all the others who came to watch without risking missing someone, but they all seemed to have a good time. All great people to spend a day at the track with. It was a great venue to see a race. The track set us up with a prime pit area and room for us to setup and see the races in comfort. Sorry if you missed it, wish you had been there.
I canít say enough good things about the day so Iíll just say thanks to all for a great day of racing.

A special thanks to Joe Bacon for loading my car up and taking it up the hill to my house. He is a brave soul to take on my driveway with a trailer, thanks to Joe and his family.

Richard and Rose Poe

Dick Steinkamp
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Great stuff, guys [:p]. Thanks! :D

Bob,
If you forward that email to me, I'll extract the pictures and get them posted here.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

BobPalma
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Great stuff, guys [:p]. Thanks! :D

Bob,
If you forward that email to me, I'll extract the pictures and get them posted here.

:) 'Comin' at you, Dick. Thanks. Bob

Dick Steinkamp
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Barbara Bertram sent me a nice set of photos to include in this report, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to remove them from my e-mail in box and patch them over here. I've made several tries a couple different ways and can't seem to make the trip, so if anyone has any ideas, post away!

Here's a couple of "teasers"

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Brown%20County%20Drags/P5181173.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Brown%20County%20Drags/P5181162.jpg

The rest of the pictures are here...

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Brown%20County%20Drags/

BobPalma
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
:) Many thanks, Dick; lookin' good! :DBP

jbwhttail
05-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I would like to thank Richard and his wife for a "different" Studebaker experience. My wife,son and I had a great time at this event. My son drove our Daytona as it was his birthday present from my wife and I, and it actually was his birthday yesterday.Tony has never had a big interest in Studebaker(our 1956 Golden Hawk) but since the Daytona has arrived he drives it and shows it to friends.

This event gave him the opportunity to mingle with other SDC members as well as listen to people familiar with racing these cars. And listen he did!

Most importantly, we stepped outside the general Studebaker get- togethers and showed the public our cars. On the track and off people got to look at something other than the "big three". I hope other chapters look at this as another option to show off their cars.

Tony's first attempt on the track who else but Ted Harbitt was in the lane beside him! :D

Richard, it was a GREAT time! Let's do it again!

It is an addiction!

BobPalma
05-19-2008, 05:32 PM
:) Joe Bacon makes a good point that may have been overlooked: The "Orphan Drags" at Brown County Raceway yesterday did not represent the only cars there. There might have been another 40 cars (and trucks!) on the premises in competition, so many "regulars" were treated to seeing some unusual iron. All seemed quite respectful of the alternate machines and many questions were asked. :DBP

63larkr1
05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
That was one of the reasons we did it this way. That's also why we had it in the local paper. The first calls I had were from local racers months ago, including a possible sponsor, who talked to me about the race way back in the beginning. A lot of things happened even before the race was put out on this web site. Bob, you mentioned the track announcer noting certain things about the cars, that was also in the works before the race. I was even asked about the race in February by the Brown county prosecutor during jury selection in open court.
Richard

PaceRacer50
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Guys,
Being the only Non-Stubebaker Orphan running there with my Hudson I wanted to take the time to thank all of you for inviting me to come down and run. I had a blast. I was able to do some fine tuning on the PaceMaker to get her back in racing order. The supercharger set-up has worked fantastic on that old flathead. it has really woken it up
and cut just about 2 seconds off the 1/8 mile times.
Also I wanted to thank the guy that posted the "teaser" shot that
included my Hudson racing the 50 Bullet nose Studebaker. Most of you
do not know that my granddad was a avid Studebaker nut in southern
Indiana. He never belonged to the club but always had one around the
house back in the day.
By the way the pictures I took have been flowing around the internet
today. I am sure we will see these being posted all around the classic
car web boards soon.
Also to clarify the picture of the 50 Bullet nose Studebaker putting
a hole-shot on me in the photo album... My Hudson about died on the
starting line on that run when I went from idle at 475rpm to full
throttle. I normally pre-load the converter to 2400rpm but I wanted
to get a run at the converter and see if it would "flash" to a higher
rpm to get that 3740lb pig of mine off the line quicker.
I thought I was going to have to re-start the engine as it just about
died! You guys have no idea how easy it is to induce throttle bog in
a flathead six with your modern overhead valve V8's. Carburetor choice
on this old flathead is real sensitive.
anyway I had a ball and look foward to doing this again.
thanks for the fun,
Ralph Alden
aka: PaceRacer50 (street driven 1950 Hudson PaceMaker coupe)

Hudson Flathead Dragracer: Torque is King, RPM's are low, Parts last for ever, insanely simple if you can keep the head on.

Dick Steinkamp
05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by PaceRacer50

Also to clarify the picture of the 50 Bullet nose Studebaker putting
a hole-shot on me in the photo album...

Excuses, excuses [}:)];)

Just kidding, Ralph. Beautiful Hudson. Us orphan types have to stick together [^]

lstude
05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a great time. Thanks for posting the pics, but I wish they were a little bigger.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

Chicken Hawk
05-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Richard is bending over backward thanking all of us that got to attend the race that HE and ROSE did all the work setting up so I think we all need to give them a big thanks for going to the trouble to set this up.

I think everyone had a good time, the people that raced and the ones that came to watch. Was good to have Frank Van Dorn all the way from Omaha there and also the one Hudson that ran (thanks for coming Frank, neat car!) and another really nice Hudson showed up to spectate. Next time maybe we can get a few more orphan brands to show up.

Also we need to thank the strip as I thought they did an outstanding job of working with us and made us feel welcome. Some times these strip people make you feel like they are doing you a favor by just letting you pay to come in the gate. But this was good ole southern hospitality at its best.

The ole '61 truck hauled the Tomato fighting a strong headwind all the way there and all the way back and those Brown County hills had it down in third gear at times. I didn't even want to figure gas mileage.

Richard and Rose's R 1 was really honkin. He had to embarrass me not once but twice. I taught him not to do that anymore as I drove the R 1 once and promply broke an axle on the starting line for him. Joe and Nancy Bacon were gracious enough to haul the R 1 back to their house. I'm anxious to hear Joe's comments about the drive up to Richard's house. I drove a Ford F100 to Richard and Rose's shortly after they moved in. It was winter and the Ford couldn't get all the way up their steep drive way.

Also, John Kerns and Phil Harris took the Tomato for a run and I was almost embarrassed on that. They both came within a hair of turning as quick as I did and had only driven it once in the past year. (Heck to get old, but as they say, beats the alternative).

Thanks again Richard and Rose. Was a great day.

Ted & Mary Ann

quote:Originally posted by 63larkr1

All,
The ďStudebakers at the Bean Drag RaceĒ was as Bob said in an earlier post ďa rousing successĒ.

I would like to thank everyone that came both to race and just to watch. The track treated us well and remains enthusiastic about having us back. They went out of their way to make us welcome and we in turn made their day. I heard only good comments and they loved the cars, who wouldnít? Our representation of the Studebaker and Hudson makes was outstanding. The day went smoothly thanks to the drivers. Everyone followed track officials instructions and our class was always in the lanes on time and ready to go, not always the case with other classes.

Oh yes, when I was in the tower I did have one complaint from the statistician who held up her camera she brought to the track to photograph the Studebakers. She said she had been too busy to get up to see the cars!

The cars that came were all impressive, and thanks to (in order of appearance) Ted Harbit, Ralph Alden, Frank Van Doorn, Stan Meadows, Rich Meadows, Chuck Kern, Erin Hays, Tony Bacon, and Jim Roberts, for racing their cars. I canít list all the others who came to watch without risking missing someone, but they all seemed to have a good time. All great people to spend a day at the track with. It was a great venue to see a race. The track set us up with a prime pit area and room for us to setup and see the races in comfort. Sorry if you missed it, wish you had been there.
I canít say enough good things about the day so Iíll just say thanks to all for a great day of racing.

A special thanks to Joe Bacon for loading my car up and taking it up the hill to my house. He is a brave soul to take on my driveway with a trailer, thanks to Joe and his family.

Richard and Rose Poe

41 Frank
05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Just checking in. Made it home at 8.30 central time after 100 miles of torrential rain in Ill. and a dust storm in western Iowa, Thanks Richard it was a blast for us to be part of it. Thanks for all you did to organize it.

Ps Thanks to all the Stude folks that made us feel so welcome and the track.

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

1961HAWK
05-20-2008, 05:52 AM
I had a great time. I cant wait to blow up the picture of me and Ted on the line. it will be framed and hanging in my front room. might have to make a couple other copies one for the garage so the Hawk can see it, the bedroom, the kitchen, dining room, hallways......lol My wife keeps bugging me about the race because Ted redlighted then proceded to half track my butt, n i tell here a win is a win and think most drag races would agree.. And just to back richard up i saw him tightening his shocks and thought what the heck is he doing..... as soon as i get computer video i will try and circulate wat i have. i will try n break it down by run like i did with mucie, but with the new equipment it should be alot clearer.. Thanks again to the Track, Richard, Rose, Ted, Frank, Ralph, Chuck, and everyone else that was there racing or watching i am ready to go again, just say when.

Erin Hays
"From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
RZRECTD
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

BobPalma
05-20-2008, 06:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Just checking in. Made it home at 8.30 central time after 100 miles of torrential rain in Ill. and a dust storm in western Iowa, Thanks Richard it was a blast for us to be part of it. Thanks for all you did to organize it.

Ps Thanks to all the Stude folks that made us feel so welcome and the track.

Frank van Doorn

:) Cool beans, Frank. Thanks to you and Elizabeth for making the trip; good that you got home safely despite the elements!

'Glad the weather held all the time you were here, so you could have such a good time...how 'bout that outlaw strip, eh? ;):DBP

63larkr1
05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Frank, Ted, Erin, All,

It was a pleasure, youíre welcome! We will do it again.
Thanks for bringing the '41. It was a real treat. We're glad you had a good time after all the trouble you went to. Good to see some one keeping Studebaker power in a Studebaker rod, thatís the way to go.

The other Hudson guy was Tim Lloyd. Tim and I take our cars to the Cruise nights in Nashville. He has been looking forward to this race all year along with Ralph and working to get more Hudsons to show up. I donít think you could keep these two Hudson guys away, it was good to have them. Every time I saw Tim he had a big smile on his face and a camera taking pictures.

Rich and Stan Meadows had a two car team, and came all the way from Chicago. I like the looks of the Ď50 business coupe and Rich has a good one. That Ď55 pick up was running great, turning in some good times. I was impressed with every car there, and we saw lots of smiles. As we left the track was calling us down for the eight round!

Richard

41 Frank
05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
quote how 'bout that outlaw strip eh?

I must admit I had my reservations it being an outlaw track. I had visions of mountain people coming down the hills on Sundays to watch the goings on:D The track is well run and serves its purpose without all the high profile stuff that goes on at more well known tracks. Your collection we got to see at your house Bob was also well worth the stop at your house. You have quite a fleet. We would do this again in a minute. By the way thanks for fixing my license plate mounting deficiencies;)

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Lark Parker
05-20-2008, 09:41 AM

I must admit I had my reservations it being an outlaw track. I had visions of mountain people coming down the hills on Sundays to watch the goings on:D The track is well run and serves its purpose without all the high profile stuff that goes on at more well known tracks. Your collection we got to see at your house Bob was also well worth the stop at your house. You have quite a fleet. We would do this again in a minute. By the way thanks for fixing my license plate mounting deficiencies;)

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Bob wasn't aware of your battery mount problems or he would have fixed that too.
By the way, I understand he is going to have a feature article in Turning Wheels showing all the Studebaker battery hold downs through the years, the correct colors, the evolvement of the wing nut, short biographies of the hold-down inventors and engineers, plus a bonus feature showing "dare to be different" hold-downs in the modified section.

Thanks for making the trip Frank, your car was a big hit at the event!:)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/Miscellaneous/caryreduced.jpg Lark Parker
If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.

41 Frank
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I'll be looking forward to the battery holddown article;) One more good reason to keep the 41's trunk lid closed when Bob is around:D I had heard that about him and the battery hold down obsession[:o)]
I'm glad we were able to come and hang out with such a bunch of Studebaker afficionados willing to beat their cars.:D The only casualty being Richard Poe's 63 Lark rear end.

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Bob wasn't aware of your battery mount problems or he would have fixed that too.
By the way, I understand he is going to have a feature article in Turning Wheels showing all the Studebaker battery hold downs through the years, the correct colors, the evolvement of the wing nut, short biographies of the hold-down inventors and engineers, plus a bonus feature showing "dare to be different" hold-downs in the modified section.

Thanks for making the trip Frank, your car was a big hit at the event!:)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/Miscellaneous/caryreduced.jpg Lark Parker
If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.

BobPalma
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
:) Frank and Lark: You guys are hilarious. :D

I'm imagining a 3-way comedy sketch involving Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson, Frank Van Doorn, and Groucho Marx... :D BP

jbwhttail
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Richards driveway???????? All I can say is WOW!!! That is a chore for any vehicle let alone dragging 6000 pounds behind it. As we started up there was another truck coming down but Richards wife had stopped it right at the Y, Richard told me to swing wide at the Y, how do you swing wide on a one lane gravel drive with trees on both sides? I was concentrating on the road ahead and never looked back at where the trailer was, coming back down I must have been lucky as there were trees on the very edge of the drive at that point.

Once we made the turn the grade became steeper and I said we aren't going to make it but the truck pulled it(barely). Then as I make the loop in his drive I see the trailer too close to a tree. Now I am OK with a trailer in wide open spaces but this was TIGHT, 5 minutes of backing then pulling forward and we were facing the highway again. After that I told Richard he could back it up to his garage!

In helping Richard I did what anyone would when a person is broke down, stop and help. As a salesman who travels I've done it many times. And any time I have been stranded someone has always stopped to help me, I think that old saying ,"what goes around, comes around" applies here.

Next time you see that Toyota commercial about pulling power........it aint got anything on a good ole USA Chevy!:D:D:D

It is an addiction!

BobPalma
05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
:) Richard & Rose Poe's driveway is also their On-Site Alarm/Security System.

As Joe and Ted testify (and Cari & I have been up there, too), anyone trying to sneak up on the Poes will find it impossible because whatever the perpetrators are driving will groan, strain, and downshift to the lowest possible gear while throwing gravel halfway back to Nashville, trying to pull up the final grade to the actual homesite...nobody could sleep through that ruckus!

One thing's for sure: Richard will never buy a weak Lark Six with Flightomatic advertised as being able to be "driven home." [:0];):D (Well, at least SDC has a good candidate to maintain the Weasel Roster!) [8D]BP

jbwhttail
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
When I took Richards car to his house I had Tony and Nancy drive the Daytona home. My goal was to get out on 46 and go to Columbus In and back to Indy, hoping to arrive a few minutes behind the Daytona. Midway between Nashville and Columbus I get a phone call, while registering 1/8 tank of fuel the Daytona was empty and they were stranded. No gas station near, but they were in the parking lot of "Hooters" on Indy's south side....I rescued them;)

I could not have had a better day!

It is an addiction!

Hanson Motor Co.
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
To Richard & Rose, and all others that made the Bean Blossom Drags a fun Sunday afternoon thank you.
This really was a terrific event that got to showcase the Studebakers and their talented owner/drivers.
I felt right at home, even driving my Hudson.

Tim Lloyd
50 Hudson Pacemaker (former 62 GT Hawk owner)

63larkr1
05-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Tim,
We're glad you made it. I think we all had a good time. You must have gotten a lot of pictures!
I canít wait to do it again, it was a blast.
Thanks, Richard and Rose Poe

jbwhttail
05-22-2008, 08:58 PM
I came home today and Tony(my son who drove the Daytona) wanted the link to this site and any other that would help him better understand the R2 Daytona and performance............

Ladies and Gentleman, your friendly attitude and willingness to share information with a young person gained a new Studebaker fan. YOUR efforts did what a mom and dad hadn't achieved. He wants to build a Studebaker drag car.....

Not to get off topic but here is another way to gain more interest in Studebakers

It is an addiction!

63larkr1
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Great, he can come down and help me build my new Challenger. A little on the job training canít hurt.
It was nice to meet Tony.
Richard