PDA

View Full Version : NYS DMV INSPECTION

bondobilly
05-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Okay there are enough of us here on the Forum from NY. My inspection station went crazy this past Saturday.

On Steve's DMV Inspection Computer STUDEBAKER does not show up. Any other NY members gone down this route with DMV. Car was inspected under "Other". Problem, under "other" there was a note that came up on the screen that registration may be terminated if "other" is used.

rockne10
05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I can't advise on current specifics in New York but, when Pennsylvania started messing with registration and inspection rules some years ago, I contacted my local state congressional representative and requested my personal copy of state laws, regulations and interpretations regarding my vehicles.

On more than one occassion I have had the opportunity to correct misunderstandings on the part of police officers and inspection mechanics.

They receive their training from others who may or may not be imparting the straight poop. Many will also not totally understand or remember what they have read, or correctly hear, or correctly remember what they are told.

If you have the legal script in hand, it may take some reading but, you may also may be able to show your mechanic the error in his education.

A computer can not be a requisite for inspecting a vehicle that does not itself contain a computer.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

bams50
05-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Huh... Don't know if we've ever encountered that in our shop, Bill. I'll ask my techs to try it on my inspection computer and see how they handle it, and report back.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bonehead007
05-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Wouldn't your car be registered as a classic in New York state ?? And if so, doesn't NY exempt those vehicles from inspection ???

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bonehead007/MVC-021F.jpg

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

barnlark
05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
For the rest of us, what do they inspect on Studebakers in NY? After 25 years of age here in Ohio a historical plate can be purchased with certain driving restrictions and original, unrestored year of manufacture plates can be used, but there aren't any inspections required other than for an out of state purchase. If regular daily plates are desired I am not sure of the emissions inspections for cars as old as ours but I know Studebaker is still in our Ohio BMV computers. They can't seem to add an E to the end of STUD on the titles for an abbreviation, though.

I wish that the large wheel and tire manufacturers and their distributors would still have Studebaker on their websites for applications. Tire Rack for example..and they are based in Indiana.

pitbulllady
05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
That makes me very happy that South Carolina did away with vehicle inspections several years ago, so we don't have to deal with this sort of mess!

pitbulllady

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Automotive/CloneofDSCF4452.jpg

Skip Lackie
05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I can't speak for Bill, but in most states, registration as a historic/antique vehicle is voluntary. While it usually saves one some money on license plates and exempts the vehicle from inspection, it also imposes severe limits on how the vehicle can be used. If you want to continue to drive the vehicle regularly, then you must pay for regular plates and undergo safety and/or emissions inspection as required.

Although not really relevant, I noticed that Studebaker has disappeared from the DC DMV's computers as well. The make shown on my registration is now "other".

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

4961Studebaker
05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I think I will take the time to write some state rep, senators in hopes that our brand just doesn't become an "other". We are a drivers club with many cars still on the road and registered. I would think that with the cheap cost of computer memory and storage, Studebaker should still be a DMV option. Heck, if my insurance company, Uhaul and Penske rental services still list us, the DMV should too [8D]

Chop Stu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/resizeChopStu-1.jpg

bondobilly
05-19-2008, 09:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Wouldn't your car be registered as a classic in New York state ?? And if so, doesn't NY exempt those vehicles from inspection ???

New York's Inspection is for "Safety" lights, horns, brakes, wipers.
Basically if it can get to the inspection station it passes.

61hawk
05-19-2008, 09:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady

That makes me very happy that South Carolina did away with vehicle inspections several years ago, so we don't have to deal with this sort of mess!

pitbulllady

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Automotive/CloneofDSCF4452.jpg

Several us at lunch last week wished SC would reinstate the vehicle inspection program. With all the crap on the road these days and 25% non-insured drivers, inspections would at least help curb these problems.

Mark57
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Here in BC we have "public auto insurance" which means a government corporation handles all of the licensing, insurance and driver's licensing in the province. So, you cannot buy a licence without insurance, but the only inspections are for engine emissions (that only applies in the greater Vancouver area) and for out of province first time registrations.

There are 2 specialty plates available - a "Collector Plate" which allows a 25 or more year old vehicle that is completely stock (or a pre '58 with modifications) to be used for "pleasure use only" (can be driven daily but never to work or school) for about a 75% savings on licence and insurance; or a "Vintage Plate" which allows a 30 or more year old vehicle to be driven under extremely limited circumstances for about $50/year for license + insurance.

We have no "title" document per se, but each year when you renew your licence/insurance, you get a new " Certificate of Registration" which is your proof of ownership. Happliy, we still have Studebaker as a listed manufacturer, along with quite a few models (including Transtar). [:p]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0099A.jpg

JBOYLE
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
quote:

Several us at lunch last week wished SC would reinstate the vehicle inspection program. With all the crap on the road these days and 25% non-insured drivers, inspections would at least help curb these problems.

It didn't work that way in Texas. You still had thousands of illegals driving and when the kid at the testing station found out one of your two license plate lights was burt out, you had to come back and pay the man again.
Here in the people's republic, we have emissions tests, but you still see cars (and today a motorcycle) laying a smokecreen....plus they have exemptions for poor people who can't afford to get their heaps fixed...and heaps tend to be the pollutors. So in the long run, what's the point?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Dick Steinkamp
05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
Here in the people's republic, we have emissions tests...

If you mean Washington State, emissions tests ONLY in the urban areas of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane counties. Gasoline and diesel vehicles 5-25 years old in these counties need an emission test every other year (no Studebakers obviously). No exemptions based on income. No motorcycle or scooter testing in any county.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

JBOYLE
05-19-2008, 01:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
No exemptions based on income.

True...but after spending a pre-set limit (I think $300.00), if it [u]still</u> fails you get a one year pass.
A woman in my office has this situation, her 1983 Toyota pickup runs on 3 cylinders....she's too cheap to buy a new engine or truck.

My point is (with loopholes like this and the exempt motorcycles) it doen't catch many of the cars that need to be caught.
I'm thankful I don't have to test the Avanti, but I resent spending my time and money testing my Mercedes or our 2004 Mini Cooper when I see so many polluting cars on the road.

And the "urban areas" of the law is a joke...I live far north of twon on 4 acres...with a great view of the mountain and a neighbors barn, cows in the back, deer eating my apples, coyotes down by the creek and the occasional moose in the wetlands.
We're "urban" only in the eyes of the greedy bureaucrats.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

studegary
05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Bill G. - I have not had a Studebaker inspected in NY yet this year. My understanding is that only our newer cars with an OBDII computer need to get connected to the shop computer for inspection with the data being either stored for later transmission to Albany or connected real time. Older cars just get the old style of inspection for brakes, lights, etc.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bondobilly
05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

Bill G. - I have not had a Studebaker inspected in NY yet this year. My understanding is that only our newer cars with an OBDII computer need to get connected to the shop computer for inspection with the data being either stored for later transmission to Albany or connected real time. Older cars just get the old style of inspection for brakes, lights, etc.

You are correct about that, the problem is Studebaker is not listed in the DMV computer. When registered as "other" as I said above another screen came up saying that using other may cause loss of registrtaion.

Johnnywiffer
05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

quote:

It didn't work that way in Texas. You still had thousands of illegals driving and when the kid at the testing station found out one of your two license plate lights was burt out, you had to come back and pay the man again.

Well, not exactly. If it does not pass and you fix the problem (or the inspection station fixes it) you take it back to the same one and no further fee, assuming it now passes. But it is still stupid because MAAAAANY inspection stations are a joke.

Last week I brought a Fiero in from IA and the inspection station was supposed to verify all the #s as well as give it a standard inspection (brakes, WW, lights, signals, etc.) HA! I just joked with the guy and he didn't look anywhere except the dash plate. He didn't know how to release the parking brake or even how to shift a 5-speed, so he turned on the lights and turn signals and gave me the sticker. Just a farce!

John

JRoberts
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
So Bill, if the registration is terminated what happens? Is there a way to get it back again?

It just sounds too unusual even for state DMV's. I would almost be willing to bet that the "inspector" has missed something somewhere. Have you tried another inspection station?

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

raprice
05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Bill,
You raise a very interesting question. Whenever I've brought in any of my antique cars down here on Long Island, my shop just checks for those items you mentioned. Then he puts the sticker on my windshield. He never said anything about the fact that the name Studebaker wasn't in the computer. I'll have to ask the owner about that.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

bondobilly
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by raprice

Bill,
You raise a very interesting question. Whenever I've brought in any of my antique cars down here on Long Island, my shop just checks for those items you mentioned. Then he puts the sticker on my windshield. He never said anything about the fact that the name Studebaker wasn't in the computer. I'll have to ask the owner about that.

Back about 6 to 8 years ago whenever the Hawk or my old 47 needed an inspection every place I went to would be required to run an emissions check even though the cars were "grandfathered" as not needing emissions. But, they would (back then) insert a probe into the tailpipe of whatever was in the shop at the time. Somewhere I have a strip that came from an emissions check form the 90's that showed the Hawk was well within the then required specs of that year.

I am just concerned about the screen that said owener was liable to lose regisration.

raprice
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree. That's why it's important to get to the bottom of this.
I don't think it's going to be so bad. There must be allowances for vintage cars.
I'm thinking to contacting the DMV in Albany.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

Dick Clemens
05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I think they just left one of those bearucratic loop hole. It doedn't say WILL it says MAY. It depend what mood they're in that day. Still somebody needs to stay on top of it.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

BobGlasscock
05-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I know this thread is about NY, but I found 2 pennies in a parking lot today, AND got my production order in the mail, so I feel like I should add my 2 cents worth.

Here in Texas, there are four levels of inspection that I know of. For 'Antique' registrations, no inspection ever. For 'Classic' registrations, an initial one-time inspection for titling authenticity by the DPS (state cop). For regular registrations, annual inspection of all items built on car by manufacturer that year. And for those unlucky people who have to live in the big cities, (this should make jboyle happy), AND those in the counties adjacent to those cities, emission testing and higher prices.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

rockne10
05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Bill,

As I mentioned in my initial response, I would request a copy of the law. Every state is different and we can discuss the "what if's" until we are blue in the face.

studegary
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Bill G. - I was hoping that Bob A. might have an answer. He is currently in the car sales business in NY. I am no longer in the business.
One thing that I didn't think of is that you live where you get the metropolitan/city type of inspection. Being two counties north of you, I am out of that zone. That may make a difference. Even here, my late model cars get a different and more expensive inspection than Studebakers.
I think that a key word is "may". I wouldn't worry about it, but you should check it out with the NY DMV.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bams50
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

Bill G. - I was hoping that Bob A. might have an answer.

Sorry Bill, forgot all about it. I'll ask my shop manager and get back to you.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

pitbulllady
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by 61hawk

quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady

pitbulllady

That was the point of doing away with it, though-it didn't curb any of those things, least of all our problem of uninsured drivers. Back when we did have to have vehicles inspected, I was never asked if I had insurance on it, or to show proof of insurance. They just kicked the tires and checked the tread, made sure the lights and signals all worked, and the wipers worked, and the windshield wasn't cracked too badly. The rest of the car could be an absolute piece of manure and it would still pass inspection. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever being asked to show my driver's license either; I guess they just assumed that if I drove the car to the inspection site, I must have a license! Here in SC where the "Good Ole Boy" system is still in effect, it became apparent that uninsured drivers and those who'd had their license suspended could still easily find someone to pass their vehicle if they slipped 'em an extra buck or two, or let 'em use the fishing cabin at Santee for a weekend.

pitbulllady

hank63
05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Isn't red tape wonderful? Here in the sunshine state, we need to get a roadworthy certificate when a car is sold, and only then, for privately driven cars. Went to register a 1950 brand x - what sort of car is that? said the woman behind the computer. An old gentleman's car, I replied, why don't you came and have a look. She actually got up and came out. She liked what she saw (the car) and processed the rego papers on the strength of the Club History Sheet (very official looking piece of paper).
Didn't open the bonnet, didn't check lights or tyres, just accepted my money and gave me the windscreen sticker and the number plates. Very friendly, very impressed with the "stately" (her words) car. I smiled and honked my vintage-sounding horn as I drove off.
/H

bonehead007
05-21-2008, 09:00 AM
its amazing how different every state is, in regard to classic cars. In NJ, QQ/Classic plates don't require inspection. At the moment, I have the chrome, bumpers, door handles, etc, off of my Avanti, part of the car is primed, have the front plate held in with a twist tie, a few police cars have been behind me or drove by, didn't do a thing.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bonehead007/MVC-021F.jpg

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

torker
05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
IIRC, Vehicle safety inspection programs were mandated for all states by the Federal Government around 1971. After a decade or so, study(s)of the impact of iinspection programs upon accident rates and lives saved or whatever, indicated that mandatory inspection programs were not at all cost-effective, and led to countless consumer rip-offs as well. It had minimal effect upon the number of accidents. The most dangerous part of any Vehicle is the "Nut" holding the steering wheel. And so, not long after, this social experiment ended, and inspections were made an option for each state. Many states did away with it altogether, saving Motorists much time, money and the hassles involved. Nonetheless, some States still have them if the public and their elected reps still have confidence in their value. Really seems Kind of superstitious, to Me.

mbstude
05-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Vehicle inspections? What are those? ;)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/trucks_SNM3.jpg

barnlark
05-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Just a tip to any of you thinking of contacting the DMV or BMV; go directly to the Law Department. I got several incorrect answers from lower and upper level managers from various areas within our Bureau of Motor vehicles and finally talked, in person, to the head of the Law Department who actually changed the way in which things were viewed and written for my Studebaker and year car. There may be many "lifers" who work there, but the ones who read over the rules and laws have the ability to change them.
BTW, this topic would have really bugged my grandfather whom lived in Voorheesville and worked in Albany. He would have been all over this computer error, if they had computers back then!

Scott
05-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Heck, you don't have to even bother the guys at the DMV. I contacted my local state representative about a statute regarding year of manufacture plates. I read the statute and had a question. The local office said they knew "positively" how it was supposed to work. My Representative contacted the state office and sent me a letter with their response. I WAS RIGHT about the interpretation of the statute and the local DMV office was wrong. The main reasons I went to the representative were 1) he represents me, 2) he could cut through red tape and get an answer, and 3) he was an attorney and knew how to write laws and interpret them. It worked for me. I enjoyed going back to the local office and showing them my official letter. Suddenly things that were once impossible were now possible!

I don't really know how my post helps you at all, but it might help somebody else.

barnlark
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Scott, that is exactly why I went to the main BMV Law Dept. They work for me, too.
My local office said the same thing as yours and were wrong. The Law dept. asked for my production order and took care of it themselves; no red tape, no wait.
I'm glad you have a good State Rep., but the cynic in me thinks it was an election year!