hp limit for '51 automatic tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp limit for '51 automatic tranny

Anyone out there know what the maximum horsepower one could put through the first automatic transmission? Not as in racing or anything, but ordinary driving. Didn't the first 259's use them and weren't they rated something like 170 hp? After I get my Hawk finished, I want to get back to working on the Land Cruiser. I figure the low compression 232 would be a good candidate for a turbo or supercharger. I have a never used Paxton blower I bought years ago of unknown porpose. It was mated to a 2hp three phase motor with a multi rib belt. Considering the motor, it must have been used in industrial applications. It's direct drive and doesn't have the variable speed sheeves like the 57-58's nor does it have the gear set like the automotive Paxtons. For years I've toyed with the idea of using a serpentine belt to power it as well as using an electric clutch on it so I can control when it runs. I've tossed around the idea of having a wide open throttle switch like the overdrives to engage it as well as a manual on override and off override switches. I figure 5-6 lbs of boost would be enough to get 160-170hp when needed. The geometric compression ratio at 5 lbs boost owuld still only be 8:1, so no problem there. Anything I should know about those transmissions?

John, if anything, these units were probably OVERbuilt. The fact that Jags and Mercedes and some heavy duty trucks used them after Stude quit using them says something in itself.
    Personally, I'd opt for the DG-250M since it was the one that was used behind the 259 (1st gear start too). Geez - think about it... Stude wouldn't have put something behind a 4bbl 259 if it was JUST adequate.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm putting a DG 350M behind a 289 without a worry, the 250 is almost as strong.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1/AC
      63 Lark 2 dr.
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark convert
      60 Hawk
      59 3E Truck
      56 truck
      55 Starlight
      53 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      JDP Maryland

Comment

John, what make used those? Mercedes maybe?

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know Jag used them, some others.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          59 3E Truck
          56 truck
          55 Starlight
          53 Starlight
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

A THREE-50??? Any idea what it came out of? [:0]

Do any of the Hollanders you peddle cover the applications of the DGs? I've got the 34th edition and it gives only scant mention as to the apps for Studebaker - nothing else.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

DG 350 was planned for the 65 Packard. OK, it was a brain fart, a 250M out of a 55 President.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
              64 Daytona HT
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              63 Avanti R1/AC
              63 Lark 2 dr.
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Lark convert
              60 Hawk
              59 3E Truck
              56 truck
              55 Starlight
              53 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              JDP Maryland

Comment

I built two 1953 Commander Starliners with the DG transmission behind more engine than they originally came with. One had a S/C '57 Golden Hawk engine with the original '53 DG transmission and the other one had/has a 1962 259 with a 1955 DG 250. I built the second car in the early '70s and it is still going.

I have worked on Jaguars with the DG transmission. I found it easier and cheaper to get Studebaker parts to repair them than to get Jaguar parts.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Um gonna git me one o those 350's un put it behind a Northstar. Ah think ittle teach that engine a lesson.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 Commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've been driving a '54 Hudson Wasp, 232 "6" w/hydra matic for the last year. I recently traded it to a friend for his '51 Commander w/Automatic drive. While this is not the first Stude I've owned, it is interesting to note the differences in the 2 cars, especially the automatics. The AD, coupled to the V8 is a great setup; quick with good, solid shifts, while the Hudson 6 w/hydra is a lot slower, with some mushiness.

Comment

Working...
                    X