paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint question

I am just about ready for paint for a 62 Daytona. The car was/is/will be Riveria Blue (P6212). I am hoping that some one knows the formula for mixing this in BC/CC, preferably in Sherwin Williams. Any help will be most appreciated.
    Thanks

Don

quote:Originally posted by dong

I am just about ready for paint for a 62 Daytona. The car was/is/will be Riveria Blue (P6212). I am hoping that some one knows the formula for mixing this in BC/CC, preferably in Sherwin Williams. Any help will be most appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don
    Sorry, can't help with that specific formula. If you plan to have your '62 Daytona judged by SDC in stock class, you may want to read this before going with a BC/CC ...if that was not what was originally used.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

PPG came up with a good match in B/CC for that same Blue for my son Mike's 1962 Lark and Hawk. Not sure but he could have color matched the inside of the Hawk gas door, or similar.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Never had a car color matched, but the computer color match I had done at Home Depot is startlingly good. My wife spent a lot of time sponge daubing (Sponge Bobbing?) orange over yellow in a bedroom. Some wall damage "ocurred" that created a removable piece of drywall (yes, just about fist size!). HD scanned the piece and mixed a color that is a very, very good match (the repair is at ety level on a well lit wall. I think my wife was a little heart broken - first because she spent so much time on the original application, and mostly because she was enjoying stomping around and hollering that the entire room would have to be redone.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

PPG came up with a good match in B/CC for that same Blue for my son Mike's 1962 Lark and Hawk. Not sure but he could have color matched the inside of the Hawk gas door, or similar.
          Computer matching worked well for me. My '64 Avanti was originally Avanti Maroon, a color used only in late '64. The car had been repainted by the PO with a trick metal flake job which couldn't be matched. My painter took the hood (was off anyhow) to a good shop and they matched it to a current Winnebago color. Comparing the finished job (outside of door) against the jamb which was original- dead on.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Don,

Your Sherwin Williams supplier should have a scanner that will supply a pretty dead on formula if you can find a spot of original color. Check behind door trim panel, inside glovebox, inside trunk lid or firewall.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The car had lots of original paint and some parts were repainted or touched up. Everything was faded and I couldn't find any one panel that I had confidence would be the true original color. Anyway the car has been soda blasted and epoxied now. A buddy has a mixing station with most SW tints so that is why I had hoped to get their formula as it would have been cheaper. I got a couple of ounces of the correct color from Tower Paint (he supposedly can match any original color from the 50's/60's) so I can paint a test panel and see if our local FinishMasters can match it to something.
              Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Don

Comment

Working...
              X