PDA

View Full Version : Loogootee,Ind Plan B

jd-stude
05-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I bought a Studebaker in Loogootee Indiana and was to have it picked up by May 15. I contracted with PEG Trucking to pick it up but after 8 days they still didn't have anyone to do the job and didn't offer much hope. I've contracted with another hauler hoping to find a ride for my car. If they can't get a hauler either I have to find a way to get the car out of there. The seller is pressing for its removal. So Plan B would be maybe to find someone in Ind. to move and store the car until other arrangements could be made for pickup/delivery. I'm not questioning the trucking company's price and I don't feel that Loogootee is that far off the beaten path so I'm not sure what the problem is on trucking it. I've had three other cars picked up and delivered before and never encountered this kind of problem. Any help or suggestions?

BobPalma
05-17-2008, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by jd-stude

I bought a Studebaker in Loogootee Indiana and was to have it picked up by May 15. I contracted with PEG Trucking to pick it up but after 8 days they still didn't have anyone to do the job and didn't offer much hope. I've contracted with another hauler hoping to find a ride for my car. If they can't get a hauler either I have to find a way to get the car out of there. The seller is pressing for its removal. So Plan B would be maybe to find someone in Ind. to move and store the car until other arrangements could be made for pickup/delivery. I'm not questioning the trucking company's price and I don't feel that Loogootee is that far off the beaten path so I'm not sure what the problem is on trucking it. I've had three other cars picked up and delivered before and never encountered this kind of problem. Any help or suggestions?

:) Ken: E-mail me privately about this; e-mail addy in The Co-Operator in any Turning Wheels. I may be able to help, but would like to know what kind of vehicle we're talking about, and needed terms and conditions. [8D]BP

kurtruk
05-18-2008, 05:17 PM
It's been said here many times in regards to trucking schedules: All it takes to get it done sooner is grease their palms with a little more green stuff and they'll get moving on it sooner.
Seriously, If you make contact with the trucking company and tell them you would like things moved along more quickly, offer them a little more green and they'll respond accordingly. Now I know this wasn't figured in to the original price, but this plan can be cheaper and more convenient than making other arrangements. Similar to the racing maxim:
How soon can I get it shipped[?] HOW MUCH MONEY YA GOT[?][?][8]

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

Dads Baby
05-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Ken,
I know that PEG Trucking is well thought of on this forum, but I used Exotic Car Transport and was very happy. They hauled my car from the Orlando area to the Denver area in 2.5 days! They were a little more expensive than some others but I would use them again.

http://exoticcartransport.com/

Now, go have a Yuengling for me!!!:D

Carey
Packard Hawk
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/misc/DSCN0149.jpg?t=1195791215 http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/misc/Clublogo2.jpg?t=1208147476

epssax
05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Ebay has a trucking service. Uship.com You have to research the hauler's history and equipment. I used it in December. These are mostly individuals with hauling equipment. No one likes to 'dead-head' around the country with 4.40 diesel costs so some people pick up a load cheaper just to defray fuel and food costs. Its an option.

'55 Regal Commander, 259/auto.
"life is a one-way ride and I'm gonna have some fun--there are no replays"

jd-stude
05-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Think I'm going to try and throw a little more money at them and hope it gets results. Kind of wish they would give estimates that actually would get the work done.

Ken

bams50
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
The cheapest deal you'll get is if you can catch on with an LTL (Less Than Load). They are cheaper, but require patience. Here's a thread about my experience with this in January:

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15642

Another good resource is www.haulingdepot.com . You put in your info and will get several quotes, usually starting within a half hour! I've had very good results here also.

Keep us posted, and report back when it's done with the details and your actual cost. Shipping is always an issue in this hobby one way or another.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"