Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the right fuel line hose clamp for 1954

Hello everyone,

The subject line says it all. I'm getting ready to start our '54 Commander Starliner, and I need to know what the correct type of hose clamp is for the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carburetor. For driving, I'll have a filter in that location, but I know that the only filter these cars had originally was the screen above the sediment bowl. For show, I'll remove the fuel filter and install plain hose. The chassis parts catalog shows a rubber hose with threaded fittings on both ends, but the end of our fuel line from the tank is plain, and the inlet to the carb. is a barbed fitting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

The line from the fuel pump to the carburator was always a metal line. A previous owner has evidently replaced it with hose. A hose would not be correct. The only place that a hose is used, either clamp on or with fittings depending on year, is between the fuel line from the tank and the fuel pump.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Alan; you need a 189888 fuel flex hose with fittings, available at most of us Studebaker Vendors. This is the tank line to fuel pump hose. All the rest of the fittings and lines from tank to engine, and Fuel Pump to Carb. are flared hard lines and compression nuts. There are NO clamps anywhere on a '54 Fuel system.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you Rich and Frank. I'll order one of those 189888 fuel flex hoses. I wondered why mine looked different than what was shown in the books -- if it was a manufacturing or owner change.

Alan
        Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

A pic of my '54 Land Cruiser w/power steering. Dunno if this is the reason for clamps but it does seem to be necessary to curve the line forward of the pulley. Notice the BLACK gas in the brandy new fuel pump bowl. IT WAS!

John

Comment

No John, the reason for the the clamps is that the flex hose has been replaced by those barbed fittings at each end and a piece of fuel hose. My '54 Land Cruiser is running Saganaw P/S and has the correct flex hose with no problem.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X