PDA

View Full Version : Photos Needed

Madd Doodler
05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey gang, I need some photos for the 2009 Madd Doodler's Studebaker calendar. I have plenty of Hawks this year but no Larks or bulletnoses. I could also use good prewar vehicles or trucks. Let me know what you have.
Actual film photos work best. Most digital photos are not high enough resolution and inkjet prints don't reproduce well at all.
If you have a good photo or two you could send them to;

Madd Doodler Publiching
1049 N Main St
Russell, PA. 16345

Steve Grant
a.k.a. the Madd Doodler
Kinzua Region Chapter
1881 Grain Wagon
1951 Champion Starlight
1959 Lark 2 dr sdn
1963 Daytona 2 dr htp
Over 500 Studebaker toys

Guido
05-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Steve,

I notice that you have a horse drawn Studebaker, I also have several. Would you entertain one for the calendar? Here is one I took of one of my buggies while doing the pictures for the December TW back cover.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/guidosalvage/1904buggy040.jpg

Gary

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

bondobilly
05-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Steve

Digital photos work well. The only reason my car's picture was published in TWs is that after you stated digital is not good enough to print in your calendar I sent in a digital photo to TW's and asked if it was usuable, attempting to either prove or dispel your feelings on digital images. I got back an answer that dispelled your statement, and was surised when the photo was used. It was not an attempt by me to get my car in Tunring Wheels

I am doing a large number of shirts for various members right now who have sent in digital images. The images are of excellent quality and reproduce perfectly.

My neighbor and friend and old car collector ownes a large photo supply house that supplies photos to textbook publishers, motion picture comapnies and TV shows. Vogue, Elle and othe fashion houses use digital in their ads. I will agree that images taken from low end, less than 5MP might not suit your needs, but if you are supplied with photos from "prosumer" and digital cameras whhich output anywhere from 15 to 22 MP per image they will out reproduce any film based picture. I print 13x19 glossy prints on an Epson R-1800 and use Adobe RGB as my profile, and I defy you to tell the difference between fim and digital, especially when printed on Kodak Proffessional paper.

If you stay with your anti-digital stand, you will find less and less entries. Nobody is using film anymore, it is time to jump aboard the digital bandwagon. One of my cameras cost me $1999.00 and my 18-300 zoom was $899 and the 12-24mm was $984. I also have 19 other Nikon lenses on hand. Properly shot and with post production techniques will give you what you want.

I suggest that you look at the "Nikonians" website and read Phil Askey's reviews of the high end Nikon and Canon cameras. Even the White House photographers have gone digital.

As for my credentials as a photographer, for 7 years I was Pepsico's
"Chief Corporate Photographer". In those days you either got your shot or you didn't, now any issues can be fixed and enhanced producing images far superior to film.

barnlark
05-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Here's my Lark. Sorry for those of you who are sick of the same pictures. When I get my car and new hood back this week I'll try better shots. Billy..I second that. I've been at it making money with my Nikons since Nixon.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSC_0072-1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSC_0081-2.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSC_0140.jpg

lstude
05-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Where is that Packard building and what is the story behind it?

Nice pictures!

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

bams50
05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey Steve, glad to see you checking in! Love your calendars[8D]

Do you take less-than-perfect cars?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
05-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Great shots, barnlark!

BTW- should we call you "Barney" for short?:)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

barnlark
05-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Bams.. no, but that's better than Goober, I guess! With my last name and golf swing I have been called Arnie by my childhood friends for years. How's BL if barnlark is too long?

Istude..that building is an old dealership near the corner of Prospect Ave. and E.55th street in Cleveland, Ohio. It's a few blocks from my place of employment and I've driven by it for 28 years and always thought it should have a Studebaker next to it for an S-P shot. I'm glad no one has power washed it or painted over it. There is a Studebaker dealership on W.117th street between Clifton Ave. and Detroit Ave. that still has the wheels and Studebaker logo around the fascade. Guess where my next photo shoot will be? I had just had my hood blown up on the highway in those shots and had taken it off for the drive. Rear shots only that day..

Madd Doodler..I can email you full size printable photos if you email me and give me your or the printer's address. These aren't full quality size.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0087-1.jpg

bondobilly
05-16-2008, 09:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I've been at it making money with my Nikons since Nixon.

I shot Nixon, Ford, and and others in the White House back then. It was the era in US life as to which soda company ran the Gov't., Pepsi or Coke. I shot the Congessional Testimony to give the Soviet Union MFN, also discussions with Kissneger, and traveled all over on call 24/7. Still have one of my F2B's and motor drive. It was a wild ride and I am glad I left, it was not real. Private Jets, everything you see now on TV, but then folks did not know it existed.

Guido
05-16-2008, 10:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
I shot Nixon, Ford, and and others in the White House back then. And I always thought it was Squeaky Fromme who took the potshot at Ford... :D[}:)];)

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

JBOYLE
05-16-2008, 11:28 AM
quote: I shot Nixon, Ford,

Do you want to confess about shooting the Sheriff?
But I hear you didn't shoot the deputy.:D

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

barnlark
05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
[quote]Originally posted by bondobilly
"I shot Nixon, Ford, and others. Still have one of my F2B's and motor drive. It was a wild ride."

I still have my original F's with motordrives. Basically paper weights now. I started making money at age 14 with mine, but that was 1970. I didn't work the Whitehouse stuff until 1980, but that was with that new thing called 3/4 inch video. ABC news then and still at it. Like I said, we're old analog dogs in a digital world. Overcome, adapt is all we can do.
I'm more proud of my 289 running and my Lark tracking correctly down the road these days than what the industry has turned into today..

bondobilly
05-16-2008, 11:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Guido

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
I shot Nixon, Ford, and and others in the White House back then. And I always thought it was Squeaky Fromme who took the potshot at Ford... :D[}:)];)

Because of her, I got in deep trouble at the White House. We were finishing a week long trip around the US showing "ministers" of food production how we make and distribute food in the US. Then we took them to Disney and the last day we flew them to Washington DC. One of the secretary's at Pepsi forgot to put my nameon the list for the meeting of Ford and the ministers. So the secret service put me in the press room and told me to wait until the meeting was over.

As I watched the CEO of Pepsi walk he did not look pleased so I left the press room, and put myself in the middle of the group and said to the CEO... Don't say a work Don.

I started shooting when we got into the oval office, and then in the cabinet room, then it was off for coffee with the President. I was shooting Ford, Kendall and the Ambassador from the Soviet Union when I was grabbed from behind and dragged out. The look on Ford's face was never to be forgotten and priceless.

One of the top guys at Pepsi was an Ex-FBI guy under Hoover, and he ran after me and the SS guys. They asked me what I was doing where I was and I showed them my business card. Some guy walks in and says. I want to see every picture you shot in last week on this "tour" by tomorrow at 10 am.

Kendall was laughing and I asked for a phone. I called Color Lab in Hawthorne NY and told them that I was flying back and to meet the plane at Hanger D. They had to develop and print 255 rolls of 36 exposure Vericolor and have 16x20 proofs by 6am. the next day. The next morning the guy showed up at Hanger D at 7am and I got in on one of our Falcon jets, and the two pilots thought this was the funniest thing ever. Landed at Washington National, there was a limo waiting. I was driven to the White House, the SS guy and a PR guy met me. They went thru all 255 contact sheets, crossed out three photos of ford and told methey were never to be seen by anyone. Got back in the limo, flown back to HPN and was in my office by noon.

A month later I was told to come to the CEO's office, and I was given a photo that I took of Kendall and Ford with three Russians and the photo had been written on. To Bill, he who only shoots presidents. Ford and Kendall signed it. I have it somewhere as over the last 30 years of hanging on the wall the signatures have faded a bit, so it is now tucked away for Robin.

Had Squeaky not done her dastardly deed this all would have never happened. When we were in Moscow for a meeting I ws riding in a car with reporters who were covering the meeting. Nobody was allowed in, but as soon as I showed my business card, I got in. There was a story in the International Hearald Tribune about me getting in to a meeting with Breshnev and Kosygen (spelling) by presenting a business card and that guys with press credentials could not get in. The NY Times published my photo of the meeting in the cabinet room. It shows Minisister Lenien drawing Mickey Mouse on a White House napkin and Ford laughing.

barnlark
05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Bill,
That's hilarious. I've been in those SS rooms, but never had any problems like that. I was followed around in the old days in Moscow (do you still smell that city, or what?)by the KGB everywhere. They broke into my room when I was dead asleep from a self induced coma trying to keep up with our hosts and they tried to tell me they had my reporter and producer's passports. I couldn't understand a word they were saying and they were way out of focus anyway. Apparently those two idiots thought they were out on the town in NYC and tried to get a taxi to take them around bar hopping and left their passports in the taxi. They were trying to get another taxi to take them to the Budapest Hotel and instead took them an hour or more toward actual Budapest!
By the way, no Stude there that I can remember, but I bet they still had WWII trucks running I just didn't recognize them..

bondobilly
05-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Bill,
That's hilarious. I was followed around in the old days in Moscow (do you still smell that city, or what?)by the KGB everywhere. By the way, no Stude there that I can remember, but I bet they still had WWII trucks running I just didn't recognize them..

Not only do I still smell the city, I still smell (sorry to say this) the Soviet Ministers. They had a very distinctive aroma, very heavy, and not quite musky but animal like.

I flew over on Allan Rackwells BAC-111, on the way over it was just me and some guy from the US State Department and another guy, very friendly, and he introduced himself as Bill. We flew from Pittsburgh to New Foundland, then to Iceland, then to Copenhagen where we picked up 2 armed Soviet infanry men who stationed each other at opposite ends of the plane. Forgot..when we got to New Foundland we were told we had a five hour wait and we all went to sme knd of a motel room. About 20 min after watchng some TV this guy Bill asked me to join him for a drink in the bar. We drank for two hours then they said we were leaving.

When we arrived in Moscow it was a quansott type terminal with old B&W photos of early flight from the 20's, all claiming Soviet "firsts" sadly they were photos of Fokker and Ford Tri-motors.

On the way to Moscow I saw a lot of Studebaker trucks carrying women and potatoes..... however while they familiar it wasn't later on when I carefully compared my pictures to stuff in TW's as I was not into Studebakers in the 70's.

As far as KGB, I could go on and on. But. The day we are going to leave we drive out to the airport and they are preventing us from boarding our jet. We waited for about 2 hours with no answers as to why we are being held. Then a guy dressed like from the 50's walks in and hands me a blue scarf. When I checked in to their version of Blair House there was a blue scarf in my closet. When they went thru the room after I left they thought I left the scarf and had a KGB guy drive out to the airport to give it back to me.

So now we could board. On the return flight was "Bill", but Bill was just not Bill, he was Bill Hewitt Chairman of John Deere. He was my drinking buddy. Also on the plabne was the CEO of GM, a guy named Murphy, the CEO of Pullman, and Bill Simon Secretary of the Treasury.

As the plane starts taxing there is dead silence and the tires going over the ruts in the tarmac were loud, you could hear a pin drop. As we built up speed the silence was deafining and the precise moment the wheels came off the ground somebody broke out singing God Bless America. Oncce we dropped off teh armed Soviet guards in Copenhagen we took off and I am asked to the flight deck. The pilot asks me, would you mind if we "dropped you off in White Plains?" I said why not, that's where I live.

I called Ellen, we were not married at the time and said we would be landing at HPN at 4pm. Well at 3:30 NY time Ellen drives out to the airport and asks the guy at operations if the "plane from Moscow is on time?" He looks at her like she is nuts, and keeps telling the guy there is a plane coming from Russia. They thought she was a nut case. Then a guy who worked on the Pepsi fleet came into the room and saw Ellen and he convinced the operartions guy there was a flight coming in.

I was interviewed by the company magazine andthey asked me about my trip. My tag line was, it is the only place inthe world where you take color film and come home with black and white pictures.

I was under KGB scrutiny and FBI and SS srcutiney the whole trip.

The only saving grace was the SS hotel room where you could get American smokes and Johnny Walker, or anything you wanted to trade the locals for stuff. At night we allwould go to the US Embassy for hamburgers and shooting the breeze.

I got picked up for "J" walking on night. I forge

bondobilly
05-16-2008, 07:05 PM

[quote
I I didn't work the Whitehouse stuff until 1980, but that was with that new thing called 3/4 inch video. ABC news then and still at it. Like

Did you ever work with David Hume Kennerly, he was Nixon and then Ford's photgrpher, then He came back to the White House for a while.

He was an intersting personality.

bams50
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Great stories, Bill! Some amazing experiences; thanks for sharing them.

Too bad it holds the record for being the farthest OT any thread has ever veered![B)] We need a non-Stude page for things like this...

Oh yeah......[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

barnlark
05-17-2008, 12:13 AM
We did continue this off forum, sorry. It was a Stude "photo" topic, however. I always try to take pictures of Studes when out of town and discuss them. Maybe the original post should have been on Stove or the Member's Pics forum. Sorry to veer OT, questions weren't being answered so I went with the flow! I always figure it's like TV or radio on here; if I don't like the topic I can always go elsewhere and don't have to read it..

bams50
05-17-2008, 06:58 AM
It's not a problem, just saying how far it had drifted... don't get me wrong- I enjoyed every post[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

barnlark
05-17-2008, 09:52 AM
So, Madd Doodler you still out there? We'd like to participate and sending a high quality digital image is the way to go for most of us. I still have my film cameras, but they are in hibernation. How can we help your great calender get some Larks in there? Like Bams asked, do they have to be restored original stock looking or can older, character filled versions get in there. Will I have to buy wide whites and lose my polished alloys to make it???

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0087-1.jpg

This is my vote from a previous thread for a "character filled" Lark..

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/IMG_0903.jpg

Madd Doodler
05-18-2008, 08:18 AM
I guess most folks are now using better digital cameras. If a file is sent to me via email in a digital format I can use it. I have had a lot of folks sending digital photos that are printed out on inkjet printers and they don't work well when you reproduce them. I should have been more specific. Sorry... If you have a good digital file you can email it to me for consideration.
The Studes do not have to be perfect. I do use modified as well. For those who have seen my calendars, now in the 12th year of production, you know I use a broad range of cars and trucks. I like then all.... even the forgotten ones.

Steve Grant
a.k.a. the Madd Doodler

Steve Grant
a.k.a. the Madd Doodler
Kinzua Region Chapter
1881 Grain Wagon
1951 Champion Starlight
1959 Lark 2 dr sdn
1963 Daytona 2 dr htp
Over 500 Studebaker toys

1950Champ
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
There are plenty of bullet-noses out there for you, but I figured I would post a couple ones of ours since I still use film. (though not the most skilled, and rarely focused perfectly)

In the driveway, decorated for Christmas. Taken with a 35mm Agfa from 1955.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/spencethomas/2584962-R1-045-21.jpg

My strangest Studebaker setting...amongst DeLoreans. Taken with a 120mm Voigtlander that belonged to my grandfather.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/spencethomas/9333-03.jpg

Spence Gaskin
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/spencethomas/tinychristmasstudebaker.jpg

Steve T
05-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Steve--

They're digital, but Saturday morning I did a short photo shoot with my 62 Lark beside the still-standing Hamilton Studebaker assembly plant...will post a couple of the best of the shots on the forum once I have that batch of SD-card pix onto CD. Kind of a different setting for photos.

These three shots are digital now, but were 35mm initially:

My 62 Lark VI last December 1, in a trucking laneway off Burlington Street in Hamilton, the STUDEBAKER sign still legible on the north wall of the old plant in the background...
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/StudeSteve/My%2062%20Lark/F1000018.jpg

A photo from the late 80s, taken in front of WWII-era Hangar #4 at Mt.Hope (Hamilton) airport. Have always liked how this red GT Hawk jumps out at the viewer from the background of the dark green hangar doors...
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/StudeSteve/Some%20Other%20Studebakers/KF247EBDB4E_1000008.jpg

And here's my nominee for Stude With Character...This beat-up 63 Lark hardtop, its career as a stocker over and done, finished its days as the signpost for Mosquito Speedway, a clay oval in remote Nolalu, Ontario...
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll260/StudeSteve/Some%20Other%20Studebakers/KF247EBDB4E_1000015.jpg

BTW, have your '08 calendar on the wall at the bottom of the steps up to my loft/museum room. Most cool...

Cheers

Steve T (Hamilton, Ontario)

Gary1953
05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Steve,
I would love to help you but my car was honored to be Miss September last year. I have to start taking some pictures of Chapter members cars and trucks to help you.
Thank you for using my car last year.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/Picture008.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

1950Champ
05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I love Steve T's photo of the GT Hawk.

Spence Gaskin
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/spencethomas/tinychristmasstudebaker.jpg

51 Business C
05-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Bulletnose pictures.
see the link.

http://www.fotobanken.dk/files/6_24032003160715.jpg
http://www.fotobanken.dk/files/6_24032003160458.jpg