Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't anyone want that Proto-Step Van?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't anyone want that Proto-Step Van?

OK - awhile back that prototype, one-of-one Step Van was being discussed here.
    It was in South Bend, and so on.
    Didn't anyone want to restore it?

So over on the HAMB, the fellow who has it is asking what he should do with it?
    Doesn't this thing belong in the SNM?

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

I would thimk it would make the ultimate truck for some of the stude parts vendors.I would use it myself as a flea market/auction vehicle.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I felt the same way about the 100,000th Lark, but got no interest.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

How interesting...

StudeDave [8D]
        San Diego, Ca.
        San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
        '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Interesting indeed, since StudeDave told us last month that he had bought it with a couple others to restore... I tried to sign up over there just to make that point but was unable to get it to work...

I'll be interested in seeing how this shakes out, seeing that Dave apparently didn't know about this...............

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Correction, I was able to sign on, and did post.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

That would be cool if......
              You opened the back doors and backed a Zip Van out of it.
              You open the Zip Van back door and back a Stude golf cart out of it..
              And so on....
              And so on....
              (Thinking in the bizarrro Stude world)
              Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Someone needs to restore this vehicle. Unfortunately it is not me as time does not permit it at the moment. If indeed StudeDave did buy it, it is in good hands.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Chris and Bams,

He just asked on HAMB what others would do with this prototype, not that he and the other owners want to sell it.

Just a conversation starter on another forum from a proud part-owner, I'd guess.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                  53 Starliner Hardtop
                  Newton Grove, NC

Comment

quote:Chris and Bams,
                    He just asked on HAMB what others would do with this prototype, not that he and the other owners want to sell it.
                    Just a conversation starter on another forum from a proud part-owner, I'd guess.
                    Well, you can imagine my concern since I didn't know who ended up with the van, and there was no SDC membership mentioned on the HAMB.
                    I'm very glad it is in good hands!

Also, from the replies on the HAMB thread, it's pretty obvious that most think restoration of the outside should be de rigueur.

Chris Pile
                    Midway Chapter SDC
                    The Studebaker Special
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

By "intersting" I meant- even in a Forum like that one- they think it ought to be kept (mostly) original. For the record~ at this point that is the plan!!! Sadly, all three of us have other priorities at this time, so it's going to have to sit for awhile longer before much else happens to it...

I will admit that I was surprised to see it posted there~ also "interesting" don't you think?

StudeDave [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I gotta say - I was really struck by the fact that 90-some percent of the replies were for keeping it mostly, if not all, stock. That IS "interesting". Thing is, when you think about it, this truck really IS a custom to start with. The factory started with a truck frame and driveline and fashioned a custom body on it. There was no production line cranking these out thereafter - not even a limited run facilitated by some aftermarket coach builder! Just one and that's it.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Without upseting all the prudes the forum, let me explain.

A) My post on the HAMB was purely for entertainment/conversation purposes. Last night I was sick with a sore throat, couldn't sleep, and had nothing better to do. In the past I've seen some of the crazy suggestions made over there and I must say they are totaly entertaining.

B) I myself, would never modify anything of such historical value. I don't even have the TIME if I wanted to. As much as rumors persist, I am not a George Barris or Floyd Cotterpin. The most modified car I've ever had was a ohv lark with a stude flathead retrofitted into it. As to the nasty emails I've recieved from verious members about the truck, a few also pointed out the "modified hot rod" that is my profile picture on HAMB. That is a stock 55 commander hardtop that came to me in primer. I saved it and now RonH on this forum cares for it.

C) The Studebaker National Museum has no intrest in the vehicle. This subject has been broached before. I totally can understand the SNM's position given their limited storage. Thats why it's in my barn. If somebody else feels there is better options for this prototype, please constructively voice them.

D) My apologies and thanks to Bob Shaw for allowing this one post.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

Without upseting all the prudes the forum, let me explain.

A) My post on the HAMB was purely for entertainment/conversation purposes. Last night I was sick with a sore throat, couldn't sleep, and had nothing better to do. In the past I've seen some of the crazy suggestions made over there and I must say they are totaly entertaining.

B) I myself, would never modify anything of such historical value. I don't even have the TIME if I wanted to. As much as rumors persist, I am not a George Barris or Floyd Cotterpin. The most modified car I've ever had was a ohv lark with a stude flathead retrofitted into it. As to the nasty emails I've recieved from verious members about the truck, a few also pointed out the "modified hot rod" that is my profile picture on HAMB. That is a stock 55 commander hardtop that came to me in primer. I saved it and now RonH on this forum cares for it.

C) The Studebaker National Museum has no intrest in the vehicle. This subject has been broached before. I totally can understand the SNM's position given their limited storage. Thats why it's in my barn. If somebody else feels there is better options for this prototype, please constructively voice them.
                            Didn't know that was you, Kent. I was curious about it, seeing that it was an unknown poster and the vehicle's so rare; plus it's partly Dave's. I thought he was wondering what was going on, therefore I was too.

I did get a kick out of the picture of it slammed though[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Don't hold this against me...

But I REALLY love this! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X