PDA

View Full Version : We can't save all of them - a story

garyash
05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
I got a call from a guy who found my web site, told me of a car he has in a garage about 5 miles from my house. He had driven the car in college, had always planned to restore it, but it never happened. After a couple of false starts to coordinate timing and get the garage keys, I finally got to see the 1960 Lark 2 door sedan, Champ 6, automatic, lowest trim level. It was in an 1840's stone carriage house that had a leaking roof for years and is due to be demolished this week. He wanted to know if anyone would buy the car.

It had been parked 25 years ago with the engine dead and disassembled. Even the torque converter was lying on the floor of the back seat. A plastic tarp had been pulled over it years ago, but the damp and drip had done their worst. There wasn't a single body panel that wasn't rotted and mold had grown deep on the interior. Junk had been piled on the car, and the beginnings of the garage destruction had brought down more crap on the car. Tires were flat and shine had long since left the chrome.

I'm a glutton for punishment, but even I could not find anything short of the glass worth saving, and not all of that was whole. It was with a little emotion that I said, "Thanks, but no thanks" knowing that one more Studebaker was going to be consigned to the crusher. I couldn't even get to the hood or the driver's door to get the serial number. I had a camera in my pocket, but the car was too sad to even record its last days.

RIP, little Lark! We can't save all of you, but you gave some people a set of good memories. Of course, if there is someone out there who wants to be heroic, a Lark awaits you - for a day or two more - in New Bedford, Mass., not far from where the words "Call me Ishmael..." were uttered at the beginning of "Moby Dick". If Captain Ahab had driven a Studebaker, this is where he parked it.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
Dartmouth, Mass.
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Dick Steinkamp
05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by garyash

It had been parked 25 years ago with the engine dead and disassembled. Even the torque converter was lying on the floor of the back seat. A plastic tarp had been pulled over it years ago, but the damp and drip had done their worst. There wasn't a single body panel that wasn't rotted and mold had grown deep on the interior. Junk had been piled on the car, and the beginnings of the garage destruction had brought down more crap on the car. Tires were flat and shine had long since left the chrome.

Other than that, was it OK?

[:o)]

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

JDP
05-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Once pasted on a 52 hardtop that had been stored under a tarp. I opened the door to see nice carpets, then stepped on the sill and watched the entire floor to the tunnel fall on to the grass. The owner was shocked to see what had happened to his nice car under that tarp. I'm sure it was later scrapped because I would not take the car had it have been free.

JDP/Maryland

bams50
05-14-2008, 09:31 PM
What did he want for it?

And while you're looking, any progress on the Standard Wagonaire?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"