Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a risk to driving a Studebaker...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a risk to driving a Studebaker...

There's a risk to driving a Studebaker nowdays. That risk is someone packing it up while you're gone and squashing it into a recycle cube. You say not so? You're wrong!

Here in California Studebakers are referred to by our state government as 'Gross Polluters'. They are going to get rid of them one way or another. We were warned about this years ago and everyone just laughed. Well they're doing it. What California does, the other states follow.

In several counties the abatement districts are loading up people's cars and hauling them off. This is done in the interest of 'cleaning up the neighborhood'. In very few cases is this a good thing. I wouldn't want to live next door to a junk yard. Still, that's his right. As long as someone's cars don't endanger my health and well-being that's their business not mine. There are nonetheless a very few people who need to be reminded that they live in a community. The rest of us need our rights to private property respected. Our elected and public officials have forgotten their boundries, however.

In Shasta county if a car isn't running it is a junk car by county definition. It must be kept in a building of some sort or the county will haul it off. They tried cutting the locks on a few garages and got the snot sued out of them. Yes you can do this. You can resist. What the county did is called 'illegal search and seisure.' The Supreme Court had determined that anything that is outside, that is, out side of a building, is free game. Inside however is a different story. If your county or city starts harrasing, you must resist. I know it's a pain and time consuming. It is however, how our government works. It's your duty.

Part of the problem is two lies promoted by our government and the educational system. The first is that you can't fight city hall. NONSENSE! You must do so! Martin Luther King, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther, and many other historical figures would shout AMEN! The second lie promoted by our government and the educational system is two fold; one side says your vote doesn't count, the other says that we have only three branches of our government (Congressional, Judicial, and Executive). Both are a LIE! Any special interest will tell you your vote most certainly does count. The elected officials are painfully aware of this. If we have only three branches of our government, why does the US Constitution start with "We the People"? The problem with our government is us. The PEOPLE are not doing our job. Vote please. DO NOT VOTE FOR AN INCUMBENT, REPUBLICAN, OR DEMOCRAT. Very important. These people need to hear the people. This is how you do it. Please vote.

We have an election coming up. If you want to continue enjoying your Studebakers in the future you must exercise your responsibility and vote. I don't say rights, I say responsibility. If you don't vote, you might as well start saying 'Baaa..'

And Mr Shaw? If this isn't a studebaker centrist thread, I'll eat my Lark!

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Every now and then I find myself reminding the car loving automotive hobbyists I know that they need to pay attention to who and what they are voting for. The SEMA Action Network, www.semasan.com , has been trying to watch out for elected officials who are friendly to the car hobby - and those who are not. The funny thing about car haters is when they realize that the same way that old cars "under construction" (sometimes very slow construction) are being taken away and crushed, is the same way that some of the things they love and enjoy can be taken away. There are too many people busy with the details of other peoples lives - we need to stand up for the old car hobby, joining the SEMA Action Network is a great first step.

Thomas

New Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed with interesting plans

Comment

Every now and then I find myself reminding the car loving automotive hobbyists I know that they need to pay attention to who and what they are voting for. The SEMA Action Network, www.semasan.com , has been trying to watch out for elected officials who are friendly to the car hobby - and those who are not. The funny thing about car haters is when they realize that the same way that old cars "under construction" (sometimes very slow construction) are being taken away and crushed, is the same way that some of the things they love and enjoy can be taken away. There are too many people busy with the details of other peoples lives - we need to stand up for the old car hobby, joining the SEMA Action Network is a great first step.

Thomas

New Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed with interesting plans

Comment

I live in a neighborhood with an association. This is usually not the
        type of neighborhood that a "car guy" would want to take root. There
        are quite strick rules regarding working on your car (forbidden in the
        driveway) and leaving your garage door open. They also have rules on
        vehicles not running in your driveway. The city has the "abandoned
        vehicle" rule, that basically says that a vehicle that doesnt move in
        more then 48 hours has been abandoned. They will leave a notice on
        the car with intention to tow. My Avanti received one of these while
        parked IN FRONT of my house. I had some choice words with the Police
        in regards to my FULLY registered, and FULLY insured car. The thing
        is, I both agree, and disagree with this policy. In my case, this was
        a vehicle that LOOKED like it was mobile. I have a neighbor behind
        our house who has a Chrysler LeBaron convertible in his driveway (a
        renter) that has 4 flat tires and the top is tearing off in the wind.
        There is a washing machine, dryer, and refrigerator behind it next to
        the garage. How neighbors close to him, who have to SEE this can put
        up with it, is beyond me. This is a difficult topic. They can not
        load up your car, and tow it away without notice. To avoid the car
        being towed, you just have to MOVE it. Its not rocket science. What
        is MORE of a threat to our hobby is the cars for smog program. This
        one allows smog producing companies on Michigan to buy cars here in
        California, and get smog credits so they dont have to clean up. This
        is SUCH a bogus idea .. I dont see what this is doing for the air in
        Michigan. When this program first got started, the cars HAD to be
        crushed to get credit. I have read more recently, due to car hobby
        guys, there is a parts program now. But this isnt for EVERY car. I
        totally agree with cleaning the air, and soil, and support the effort
        that was originally intended, but as with all good plans, polititians
        get a hand in it, and ruin it. I also dont evac R12 refrigerent into
        the air, or pour anti-freeze into my toilet like some. I take my car
        to a service center to have to flushed instead. I noticed a neighbor
        of mine flushing his right into a storm drain, he is also the guy who
        left a note on my wifes car while it was parked on the side of his
        house over night. She exchanged words with him about it, and told him
        that we WILL report him next time we see him do that. The next day she
        got a lengthy apology note. I also have reason to believe that he was
        the one that hit my Camaro, but have no proof. We as car guys need to
        be considerate of our neighbors within reason, though I can honestly
        say that recent events make it more difficult for me.

I dont think there is a threat to DRIVING a Studebaker, just PARKING
        a Studebaker. Thats the reason this is the Studebaker DRIVERS club!

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I live in a neighborhood with an association. This is usually not the
          type of neighborhood that a "car guy" would want to take root. There
          are quite strick rules regarding working on your car (forbidden in the
          driveway) and leaving your garage door open. They also have rules on
          vehicles not running in your driveway. The city has the "abandoned
          vehicle" rule, that basically says that a vehicle that doesnt move in
          more then 48 hours has been abandoned. They will leave a notice on
          the car with intention to tow. My Avanti received one of these while
          parked IN FRONT of my house. I had some choice words with the Police
          in regards to my FULLY registered, and FULLY insured car. The thing
          is, I both agree, and disagree with this policy. In my case, this was
          a vehicle that LOOKED like it was mobile. I have a neighbor behind
          our house who has a Chrysler LeBaron convertible in his driveway (a
          renter) that has 4 flat tires and the top is tearing off in the wind.
          There is a washing machine, dryer, and refrigerator behind it next to
          the garage. How neighbors close to him, who have to SEE this can put
          up with it, is beyond me. This is a difficult topic. They can not
          load up your car, and tow it away without notice. To avoid the car
          being towed, you just have to MOVE it. Its not rocket science. What
          is MORE of a threat to our hobby is the cars for smog program. This
          one allows smog producing companies on Michigan to buy cars here in
          California, and get smog credits so they dont have to clean up. This
          is SUCH a bogus idea .. I dont see what this is doing for the air in
          Michigan. When this program first got started, the cars HAD to be
          crushed to get credit. I have read more recently, due to car hobby
          guys, there is a parts program now. But this isnt for EVERY car. I
          totally agree with cleaning the air, and soil, and support the effort
          that was originally intended, but as with all good plans, polititians
          get a hand in it, and ruin it. I also dont evac R12 refrigerent into
          the air, or pour anti-freeze into my toilet like some. I take my car
          to a service center to have to flushed instead. I noticed a neighbor
          of mine flushing his right into a storm drain, he is also the guy who
          left a note on my wifes car while it was parked on the side of his
          house over night. She exchanged words with him about it, and told him
          that we WILL report him next time we see him do that. The next day she
          got a lengthy apology note. I also have reason to believe that he was
          the one that hit my Camaro, but have no proof. We as car guys need to
          be considerate of our neighbors within reason, though I can honestly
          say that recent events make it more difficult for me.

I dont think there is a threat to DRIVING a Studebaker, just PARKING
          a Studebaker. Thats the reason this is the Studebaker DRIVERS club!

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Here in Central Virginia, we have an organization called the Central Virginia Car Club Council which is basically a lobbiest group that monitors the state legislature for any proposed law that might be detrimental to the old car hobby. Our chapter belongs as does the Greater Virginia Chapter. The web site is:

Every state (especially California!) should have a group like this. Here is some info from the site.

Welcome to the web site of the Car Club Council of Central Virginia. The CCCCVA was founded in 1995. Currently there are 47 member clubs and organizations plus individual (associate) members. The goals of the council are to provide communications between car clubs, monitor legislation that could effect the car hobby and provide members of the council with information so that they can have a positive influence on auto-related legislation.

Virginia has developed a reputation as a car hobby friendly state. In 1999 the antique vehicle registration was changed by the General Assembly so that, for the first time, antique vehicles were allowed 250 miles of pleasure driving every day. In 2000 a bill became law that allows vehicles 25 or more years old to be exempt emissions testing. During the 2004 session of the Assembly a bill was passed and signed into law by the governor to allow car hobbyists to keep parts and project cars on their property as long as the vehicles were out of ordinary view from a road.

Clubs, organizations and individuals are invited to become members of the council. The council meets the last Monday of the even numbered months at various local restaurants. There is a special legislative meeting each January. Dues are only $10 per year. Members receive the monthly newsletter, "The Relay" and it is available online at this site.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Here in Central Virginia, we have an organization called the Central Virginia Car Club Council which is basically a lobbiest group that monitors the state legislature for any proposed law that might be detrimental to the old car hobby. Our chapter belongs as does the Greater Virginia Chapter. The web site is:

Every state (especially California!) should have a group like this. Here is some info from the site.

Welcome to the web site of the Car Club Council of Central Virginia. The CCCCVA was founded in 1995. Currently there are 47 member clubs and organizations plus individual (associate) members. The goals of the council are to provide communications between car clubs, monitor legislation that could effect the car hobby and provide members of the council with information so that they can have a positive influence on auto-related legislation.

Virginia has developed a reputation as a car hobby friendly state. In 1999 the antique vehicle registration was changed by the General Assembly so that, for the first time, antique vehicles were allowed 250 miles of pleasure driving every day. In 2000 a bill became law that allows vehicles 25 or more years old to be exempt emissions testing. During the 2004 session of the Assembly a bill was passed and signed into law by the governor to allow car hobbyists to keep parts and project cars on their property as long as the vehicles were out of ordinary view from a road.

Clubs, organizations and individuals are invited to become members of the council. The council meets the last Monday of the even numbered months at various local restaurants. There is a special legislative meeting each January. Dues are only $10 per year. Members receive the monthly newsletter, "The Relay" and it is available online at this site.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

California seems to have too many people interested in other people's business rather than their own and I'm not just talking about cars. I know what I'd do Tom concerning the 48 hour rule. Every two days the car'd get moved forward or backward 10 feet. You'd get your exercise if you did it buy hand. By the way, how do the "authorities" find out abou these cars? Do the neighbors (if you can call them that) call them in or do they pay people to cruise around looking for them? Either way, what fine use of taxpayers money!

Comment

California seems to have too many people interested in other people's business rather than their own and I'm not just talking about cars. I know what I'd do Tom concerning the 48 hour rule. Every two days the car'd get moved forward or backward 10 feet. You'd get your exercise if you did it buy hand. By the way, how do the "authorities" find out abou these cars? Do the neighbors (if you can call them that) call them in or do they pay people to cruise around looking for them? Either way, what fine use of taxpayers money!

Comment

I sent this discussion to Fred Fann of the Central Virginia Car Club Council and this was his reply:

Thanks for sending the comments. We use SEMA but one has to be careful as they do not represent car hobbyists - SEMA represents its paid members who are the companies that sell us parts.
                    It took us 3 years of trying in the General Assembly to get a law passed that allows hobbyists to have project and parts cars on their property if it is out of ordinary view.
                    One thing hobbyists can learn from the SEMA SAN site is that most states are doing the same thing to car hobbyists and there are lots of states with car councils that are working to change things.
                    Fred
                    is discussion to Fred Fann of the Central Virginia Car Club Council and here is his reply:

Comment

I sent this discussion to Fred Fann of the Central Virginia Car Club Council and this was his reply:

Thanks for sending the comments. We use SEMA but one has to be careful as they do not represent car hobbyists - SEMA represents its paid members who are the companies that sell us parts.
                      It took us 3 years of trying in the General Assembly to get a law passed that allows hobbyists to have project and parts cars on their property if it is out of ordinary view.
                      One thing hobbyists can learn from the SEMA SAN site is that most states are doing the same thing to car hobbyists and there are lots of states with car councils that are working to change things.
                      Fred
                      is discussion to Fred Fann of the Central Virginia Car Club Council and here is his reply:

Comment

I agree that it's kind of scary to realize that local governments can and do things such as hauling away people's cars to the scrap yard. And people feel helpless. I also agree that this is the land OF THE PEOPLE and we have a right to protect our property, including our old cars.
                        What scares me even more is the apathy among old car folks, thinking that it can't happen to them.
                        So far, in New York State, we've been lucky. But we have enough car clubs which keep a wary eye on out state legislators and look for any indication that something's wrong.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I agree that it's kind of scary to realize that local governments can and do things such as hauling away people's cars to the scrap yard. And people feel helpless. I also agree that this is the land OF THE PEOPLE and we have a right to protect our property, including our old cars.
                          What scares me even more is the apathy among old car folks, thinking that it can't happen to them.
                          So far, in New York State, we've been lucky. But we have enough car clubs which keep a wary eye on out state legislators and look for any indication that something's wrong.
                          Rog
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The next time someone calls your car a "gross polluter" point out to them that the amount of pollution caused by producing a new, replacement vehicle would be far more than your vehicle will emit over the next decade.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The next time someone calls your car a "gross polluter" point out to them that the amount of pollution caused by producing a new, replacement vehicle would be far more than your vehicle will emit over the next decade.

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                              X