Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 onto Champion 185

Hello to all,

I want to put a 5 speed manual trans on my 57 Stude off frame restoration. It has a champion 185 motor which I am rebuilding completely. I know it's been done successfully before, but I have some questions. Question 1---Which transmissions will work. I know it needs to have a manual speedometer cable so is this pre 1985 or so?? These transmissions are called t5's?? I also understand that mustang trans will work as well. Any suggestions on this?

Question 2---The car had a flightomatic in it so I will need the Stude manual bell housing. Is there any particular one or will "any" bell housing for that 6 cylinder engine work???

Question 3---I assume I will need the Stude flywheel or the starter won't work. But I don't understand how a Chevy clutch will hook up to the flywheel. I know adapters are available to bolt the trans to bell housing though. Cathcart sells or did sell the adapter plate, clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing. Will this bolt directly to the Stude flywheel??? If no one knows the answer to this I guess I can call Bill Cathcart and he could tell me but I was hoping to cut some of the cost by buying the parts myself. I have the capability of making the adapter plate in my shop.

Any information is helpful. Your past help has speeded my restoration along. The project is proceeding well. I hope to get a rolling chasis with the engine and transmission in by the end of the summer.

As always --Thanks Dan

Go to www.5speeds.com/t5/. After reading that you will need a pilot bearing, adapter plate, clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate. It may cost a few bucks but you will be farther ahead by getting a complete setup from Bill.

Comment

As always, your car, your money, your decision. These random thoughts are for your consideration:

1. While you are chasing parts, don't forget to look for the clutch pedal, linkage and fork.
      2. You'll also most likely need to change the rear axle ratio. If your car had an automatic, the Champion may not be able pull the overdrive 5th gear without a lower rear gear.
      3. You'll probably need to modify the driveshaft.
      4. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to drive a T5/Champion. It was nice, but I didn't see the $1000 of improvement over the T96 overdrive which had been in the car. I put many miles on a T96 overdrive Champion and it was an ideal combination. I did install a floor shifter in mine and that was a huge improvement for $49.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for all your input----Dan

Comment

Working...
        X