New website about hypermiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New website about hypermiling

Tonight on the local news, what to my wondering eyes did appear?
    A story with video on hypermiling!

The hypermiling website is CleanMPG.com, and they discuss techniques for hypermiling with late models.
    But on the right side of the webpage under "Fuel economy articles", you'll find this! "How to save gas - Hypermiling 50 years ago".

What do you know? They took a 1956 Golden Hawk for a drive and got mileage up to 41.59MPG from 17.25!!

Read, and enjoy!

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Um, yeah. Somehow I don't plan on using some of those methods.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Appreciate them getting the 1956 MPG figures together and showing how really difficult it is to improve fuel economy more than 10%. Their driving a '56J normally at 17.25 and then using every fuel saving driving technique a sane person would try, got 19.67, or a 14% increase. Of course, these techniques require a manual transmission, which only 10% of buyer opt for today, which, of course, means most of those techniques can't be used.

A quote applicable here:
      quote:The Studebaker Champion, a car never intended to have an automatic transmission, was particularly hard pressed on mountain grades. This pulled its mileage down considerably.
      20.05 MPG or less than the Imperial.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

They have done a great job 'selling' this website to the news media.
        I saw it on Fox & Friends this morning, and they were putting all the wacky stuff up on the screen...
        (OK, you put 100 pounds of air in your tires[:0])...
        I was even less impressed after I saw the article.
        (I want to ask him 'why' he put's in the clutch if he's in o/d?)
        (I want to see him push in 'the button' on an O/D Stude)
        So may questions....So many[}]
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Tonight on the local news, what to my wondering eyes did appear?
        A story with video on hypermiling!

The hypermiling website is CleanMPG.com, and they discuss techniques for hypermiling with late models.
        But on the right side of the webpage under "Fuel economy articles", you'll find this! "How to save gas - Hypermiling 50 years ago".

What do you know? They took a 1956 Golden Hawk for a drive and got mileage up to 41.59MPG from 17.25!!

Read, and enjoy!

Chris Pile
        Midway Chapter SDC
        The Studebaker Special
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
        X