A KID IN A CANDY STORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A KID IN A CANDY STORE

I was at a car show on Saturday and was talking to a gentleman who had a '56 President bought new locally. He mentioned a place that had some Studebakers for parts.

As I was driving by, the place appeared open and I stopped in. I didn't have a lot of time but they let me walk the yard for about 20 minutes. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera.

There were numerous '62-'64 Larks. There was one '63 Hawk with a 4-spd. Also a '52 2-dr Commander hardtop. I'm not fluent in '53-'55 sedans, but the was a complete 4-dr sedan (I think it was a Champion).

Now I would never confuse these with project cars (well. maybe the '55). They are all extremely rusty. Some are colapsing in on themselves. Some have complete A/C systems (again, adjust expectations based on conditions), power steering systems and with one or two exceptions complete V8 engines. I doubt if they will turn over by hand, but I'm sure they would make good rebuild cores.

There are no 'R' engines. All of the V8's are 2-bbls. There are no good dash pads or any other fantasy items. As mentioned, I was only in the yard for a few minutes.

I will going back Saturday and I will post pictures that night. Now, is there anything someone is looking for? I'm happy to help others for items some may need. Consider all items in need to a complete rebuild.

I will mention the the '63 Hawk and a '64 Cruiser next to it are as rusty as anything in the yard. The owner thinks they are rebuildable. THEY ARE NOT. This isn't to say that there isn't a lot of good parts, such as the 4-spd, an A/C system and 289 on the Cruiser, etc. But I asked about both (for parts) and he wants $2500 for the pair [:0]. The blue Hawk was supposed to be the car used at the Atlanta Auto Show in 1962, and was bought new by the owner. BUT, this car is extremely rusty.

Again, if you want me to search for anything, let me know. And no, there are no AM-FM radios....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Lark fan shroud??? I forgot to ask in my email. Lets see those pics soon..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Lark fan shroud??? I forgot to ask in my email. Lets see those pics soon..
      I'll check for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Hi, If you would see if there is a solid deck lid for my '63 Lark I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if prices seem reasonable I may end up needing a right front door? Thanks a bunch, Tracy

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
        '63 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by shewolf

Hi, If you would see if there is a solid deck lid for my '63 Lark I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if prices seem reasonable I may end up needing a right front door? Thanks a bunch, Tracy
          Don't hold your breathe, but I'll definitely take a look...

Most of the sheet metal will crumble in your hand.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom,
            Do I remember correctly that you are from Michigan? I'll take your word then that you know rust when you see it.

Us registry keepers always perk up at posts of new finds like this. Please take a nice shot of the 52 hardtop, and snag the serial, body number, even engine number for me. Even if its a goner I want to get it on my list for posterity.

As I am sure all the hardtop pot metal around the glass is as poor shape as what I already have, I will not even ask about it. However grill parts I do need, and maybe outer front bumper guards. The question is, are they any good?

Dan
            52 hardtop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Tom,
              Do I remember correctly that you are from Michigan? I'll take your word then that you know rust when you see it.

Us registry keepers always perk up at posts of new finds like this. Please take a nice shot of the 52 hardtop, and snag the serial, body number, even engine number for me. Even if its a goner I want to get it on my list for posterity.

As I am sure all the hardtop pot metal around the glass is as poor shape as what I already have, I will not even ask about it. However grill parts I do need, and maybe outer front bumper guards. The question is, are they any good?
              Dan, I'll get you pictures of the car, but as I remember, the grille was already gone. As for documentation, I doubt I'll be able to get that as it's stacked on another car with a '64 Daytona hardtop layed over on it. That's a small problem in this yard is that the few stacked cars are rotted enough that I have to watch where I step. This is why I don't have more info on the '53-'55 sedan. The car looks good, but getting to it was another thing. I'll see what I can do.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

ah... Well anyway there's a picture I don't yet have on the 52 hardtop registry page - one in a sandwich.
                I hope you get a picture for me. Lets face it, the vast majority of them went out this way already.

I'm also quite curious! How well did that hardtop roof hold up to the weight of the daytona?

Dan
                52 hardtop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

ah... Well anyway there's a picture I don't yet have on the 52 hardtop registry page - one in a sandwich.
                  I hope you get a picture for me. Lets face it, the vast majority of them went out this way already.

I'm also quite curious! How well did that hardtop roof hold up to the weight of the daytona?
                  The Daytona is laying on the side of the '52. Not on top, which is why I'd hate to dig around it. It looks like the Daytona was stacked on another car and slid over on it's side. I'm taking a notebook with me and I'll try and get as much info and pictures as I can.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X