If You Like Studebaker Trucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Like Studebaker Trucks...

The Classic Studebaker Trucks Channel includes histories, photos and specs for this classic truck. Explore Classic Studebaker truck lineups.

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ

Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Too bad they left out the best Trucks: the 1954 to 1964 Transtars and "C" Cabs!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is a picture of a late 61 T-Cab seen by many over the past 6 months as it resided in the AACA Museum's display of American Pickups. Note the Spaceside bed indicating that it was produced after 1/23/61 when this bed was first used.[img][/img]
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

And the fact that it has the wrong ('62-'64) fender mouldings, mirror and Paint! For a custom or driver I think it is fine to lightly "modify" your vehicle to your OWN tastes.

It really does irritate me however, to see one on display in a Museum and on the internet for the World to see and decide that this is how a 1961 Champ is supposed to look, when it is not true!

Added: Yes, that is right! This is a one of one Prototype, and it should be noted that the Two-Tone Paint is NOT representative of "Production" Trucks! But unfortunately the look of the front end changes dramatically with the correct mouldings, not to mention that the Two-Tone would not work with '61 Mouldings!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Paint on the truck is actual 61 truck colors. SunTone Yellow and Parchment White. Paint scheme is the factory authorized two-tone scheme that they never used but was detailed in TW many years ago. Mirror and Fender trim were on the truck when purchase and was left in tact. Truck started its life in Central VA as a bodyshop service truck owned by one individual until I purchased it in 1999. Actual milage is 82K.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Too bad they left out the best Trucks: the 1954 to 1964 Transtars and "C" Cabs!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            I have to agree with Rich... to leave out the Doehler grilled C-Cabs is an obvious oversight [:0] - not that I'm biased or anything!!

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Rich, I have never represented this truck as a typical produced vehicle for the very reasons you stated. My Build Sheet indicates this is a very late 61 production model as it incidates a production date of 06[23[61. It also shows only two options 1) a heater and 2) Delux Trim Option consisting of the Chrome Grille, a sliding Back Window and the Fender Trim Molding. When we removed the molding to prep the truck for paint and fix a few rust spots we found that the molding had been in the current place since new. It is entirely possible that since we are dealing with a very late 61 the 62 molding was installed as the truck was being built. Studebaker was known to do things like that. The mirror was installed by the original owner and I have just left it alone. thanks for your response and dialog on this

Comment

That is a very beautiful Champ, in fact one of the nicest I have ever seen, I like it, I never had an issue with that! Thanks for posting it [^]

Having had both types, I do happen to prefer Transtars, but I still like all '56 and up Studebaker Trucks very much!

Just be sure to have a sign explaining it's special rarity, and prototype status, because the year model confuses people who know, and misleads the rest since it really looks like a '62! [:0]

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That Champ has got to be one of the best lookin' ones I've seen, Don. Beautiful truck. [^] I can't blame you for two-toning it, that really makes it stand out among others. I'd leave that mirror on there too. It looks better than the 'obnoxious' stock one.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'm a fourth-generation Studebaker man that we can document; who knows before that. Great-grandpa had a Studebaker wagon, granddad had both an M-series and a '55 E5. Dad had several C-cabs. Having learned to drive in a Stude truck fifty years ago, like everyone else here, I have an opinion about style. My first one was a two-toned turquoise and white '59 C-cab; had it for ten years and never learned to like the colors or the infamous grille. I finally found my dream truck, a '55 E12 and have had it now for twenty-five years. For me, the '54 and '55 are the sweet spot in Studebaker truck styling. While I can appreciate the earlier and later C-cabs and the T-cabs, they'll always be down the list.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

And just to be very clear... I never met a Studebaker Truck I did not like! []
                      That IS definitely a great Champ, Don.[][^]

But as someone else's tag line says "You can't have everything, where would you put it?"

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Well, "correct" or not, I love the yellow and white Champ.

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Great color combination Don,hope to meet you in september.

Lenny
                          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

The late E. Wayne Clark had a Parchment over Desert Tan '64 Champ. Only authentic two-tone Champ I had ever seen.

Dwain G.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Rich, the first Studebaker I personally purchased in 1975 was a 1956 E12 Pickup. The truck was owned by one of my clients and his grand son did not want it. I bought it and my kids drove it to school and work virtually eveyday. We had a blast with that truck. I moved it all of the US from PA to OH to TN and back to PA. When I sold it in 1993 I sold it to a 15 year old young man who completely restored it and still owns it today. If and when the time comes to add another Studebaker to the flock one I will consider is another C cab or a Pre War M-5

Comment

Working...
                              X