can't get key out of lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get key out of lock

I've had that happen before, with the cylinder in the lock position and the door in 'unlock', but this is different - the key rotates fully to the lock position, and the plunger goes down, but the key won't come out of the cylinder, once locked. In the previous situation, the key would only turn part way, and the plunger would not go down.

I will check that, but I fear it might be a broken or missing spring (which I've just determined is the problem with the driver's door on Peter's truck)

can't get key out of lock

Well, after four long years, the Hawk is finally back on the road. I have a few nigglies to take care of - removing overspray from the tires, installing new fin emblems, re-aligning the steering wheel....but the weirdest thing to deal with is the driver's door lock. I'm sure it worked fine when I took the car apart, but like I said, it's been four years. I did change the door, but the lock mechanism is the same. I can get the key in and lock the door, but I can't remove the key once it's in the lock position! And I can't lock the door from the inside.

Suggestions? Preferably, that don't include changing the door latch?

Judy

Comment

Had a similar problem with my Truck when I replaced the lock cylinder... what cured it was removing the lock cylinder and with it out of the vehicle, I ensured the door mechanism was in the "unlocked" position, then I used the key to ensure the lock cylinder was also in the "unlocked" position before reinstalling the lock cylinder in the vehicle. That cured my problem which sounds almost the same as yours. Good luck.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tyaughton

I've had that happen before, with the cylinder in the lock position and the door in 'unlock', but this is different - the key rotates fully to the lock position, and the plunger goes down, but the key won't come out of the cylinder, once locked. In the previous situation, the key would only turn part way, and the plunger would not go down.

I will check that, but I fear it might be a broken or missing spring (which I've just determined is the problem with the driver's door on Peter's truck)
        I agree you won't know for sure until you investigate further, but my problem was exactly as you describe - I could insert the key, lock the door, but could not remove the key once locked - until I reinstalled the lock cylinder as described.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

I'm sure hoping it's as simple as that!! I will probably work on the car this weekend, as Peter's truck is slightly higher priority seeing as we're taking it to Spokane, not the Hawk.....don't want to run it that long on the freeway with a fresh motor, and don't have the time for a proper break-in period....and if Peter finds a new bench seat for the truck, it sure as heck won't fit in the trunk of that car!

Comment

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

At least it's the driver's side. Getting the passenger door panel on was a PITA for some reason, but the driver's side wasn't too bad.
              On a side note, I redid Peter's door panels using a poly sheeting - a bit of a challenge to cut, but those things will NEVER warp again.

Comment

OK OK it's all your fault/ Had my door locks re-keyed two weeks ago and I installed. Tried them and they worked great. After reading this thread I decided to go out and make sure I could get the key out after locking, as I only tried locking and un -locking before. Guess what. The pass worked great. The drivers worked great until I heard the rod falling to the bottom of the door. After looking at it the rod broke loose from the locking mech. and now the key is stuck in the lock. Thanks guys!!! It's all your fault.(with a smile) I am going to remove the lock tomorrow and take it back to the lock smith, but I expect it is junk. Anyone have a spare door lock I can buy for a 56 wagon. I know I will have to re-key it.(yale)

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I'll handily take the blame. Tonight I rotated the bar on the Hawk - that fixed that - then I checked the door handle return because it wasn't returning like it should. Broken spring. That's the second time I've had to replace that thing, just glad I had *one* driver side spare. Re-aligned the steering wheel, put all the bits back on, so just a few things left to do on the Hawk.
                  Tried fixing Peter's truck, that was a whole 'nuther' matter. Found a new latch mechanism, seemed to work, and then something snapped and the key just went round and round and round. Dayam. Hopefully there is a locksmith handy that can repair it, otherwise I'll have to rummage through the boxes to see if we have another one, and get it rekeyed. Put the passenger side door panel on - fits beautiful and will never warp. Glad of that, tired of doing his door panels.
                  And then Peter informed me he believes the Hawk is leaking something. Wouldn't be surprised, it sat so long, the seals are probably shrivelled like prunes.

Comment

Working...
                  X