OD question...yeah, another one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD question...yeah, another one

My 63 Lark six is the first T-96OD I've had without the firewall mounted relay. (3-wire solenoid) After a few test runs with the car, it doesn't go into OD. After the first failure, I went through my box of solenoids and found a similar one I'd bought at a swap meet, used, with a tag attached saying it worked...for what that's worth. Swapped 'em out and still no overdrive. Do I now suspect the governor?
    I rebuilt this tranny and it shifts great - amazingly - so I'm pretty sure the problem is in the electrics. Thanks!

Western Washington, USA

Tom; Is the kick-down switch functioning and the fuse good? All connections clean and tight? If it freewheels in O.D. and does not shift, use the shop manual electrical trouble shooting guide to track down the culprit, could be the "replacement" solenoid! Also check the Term. numbers vs the wires on the Solenoid per the manual. You can remove it and check it and the first one, by putting power to it and watch it work.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich! I'd re-wired the kickdown switch as it was when I got the car. Going over the wiring diagram in the manual, I had to reposition some wires as they were on the wrong terminals.
      A test drive and it still doesn't work. I'm wondering now if I didn't burn something up.
      Will try grounding the gov with the switch on to see if the sol. clicks in.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Tom, you haven't told us if it freewheels below 30. If it won't freewheel, it's mechanical.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction) 197 hrs.
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Hey Tom!
          Yes, it freewheels fine.

Comment

I had my OD reworked by an "old guy", charged an arm and a leg, got it working, but only just. I found later, one of the phenolic (insulator) buttons on the end of the solenoid, no, the other end, was totally gone, shorting one of the functions. I replaced it and everything works fine. I don't know that this would cure yours, it had to do with kickdown in mine, but you might look over the solenoid for problems.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction) 197 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Try replacing the relay on the firewall. Don't ask me how I know. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, Tom says this is a '63, too new to have a Relay. It has the 3 wire Solenoid, that could however be the cause on older models! [^]

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oops, guess I misread the initial post. [:I]

It might not be a good idea to replace the firewall relay then.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Troubleshooting as per the shop manual worked for me. It takes awhile, but it walks you through step by step. Of course in my case it was the very last step, but at least I got it working. A flathead 6 in a '53 coupe without the overdrive working wasn't much fun!

Comment

My manual (the fat yeller one) only troubleshoots the '64 OD, with the two wire gov'ner.

I have replaced my kickdown with one that seems to work smoother and double checked the wiring. Oh and on a spare tranny under the workbench I found another solenoid of the 3-wire type to try.
                      By garsh, I'll get this thing working yet!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Working...
                      X