This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any baseball fans out there

I bought this photo on eBay. Does anyone know who this guy is?

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

well, for the period, it should be Leo Durochure, but it doesn't look like him...and it's not Walter Alston or Tommy Lasorda....I'll look back through some Dodger memorabilia and see if I can match him up

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

well, for the period, it should be Leo Durochure, but it doesn't look like him...and it's not Walter Alston or Tommy Lasorda....I'll look back through some Dodger memorabilia and see if I can match him up

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

This is just a guess, but I'd bet that's Chuck Dressen. He mamaged the Dodgers until 1954 and Walt Alston took over in 1955. He won two pennants in '52 and '53 but lost to the Yankees in the World Series both years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

This is just a guess, but I'd bet that's Chuck Dressen. He mamaged the Dodgers until 1954 and Walt Alston took over in 1955. He won two pennants in '52 and '53 but lost to the Yankees in the World Series both years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

As the Nike ads say "It's got to be the shoes!" Nothing like combining a baseball uniform with wing tips. But I guess that is basically what Dave Marcis did when he was racing.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

As the Nike ads say "It's got to be the shoes!" Nothing like combining a baseball uniform with wing tips. But I guess that is basically what Dave Marcis did when he was racing.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

I don't know who that guy is, but don't think it's Chuck Dressen.
                Dressen is one of the two major league managers who never wore the uniform. He managed the Dodgers wearing a suit.
                When the Dodgers left Brooklyn, at the end of 1957, for Los Angeles, I totally turned off baseball. And I was a rabid Dodger fan as a kid. I didn't get back into baseball until the Mets were formed and started playing in 1962.
                At that time, I was in college in Brooklyn and most of the buildings in Brooklyn were draped in black bunting as if there was a funeral going on. In a sense, there was.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal hardtop
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Dressen is one of the two major league managers who never wore the uniform. He managed the Dodgers wearing a suit.
                  When the Dodgers left Brooklyn, at the end of 1957, for Los Angeles, I totally turned off baseball. And I was a rabid Dodger fan as a kid. I didn't get back into baseball until the Mets were formed and started playing in 1962.
                  At that time, I was in college in Brooklyn and most of the buildings in Brooklyn were draped in black bunting as if there was a funeral going on. In a sense, there was.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal hardtop
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

Rog
                    I'll agree that it's probably not Dressen, but not for the reason you mentioned. I found pics on the 'net showing him in uniform (Dodgers and Tigers) and the guy in the photo is a little plumper than Chuck Dressen. I'd have to see who his coaches were. The guy is too old to be a player, and the car is a '53, so I think it could be said he was a coach on the '52 or/or '53 teams.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

Rog
                      I'll agree that it's probably not Dressen, but not for the reason you mentioned. I found pics on the 'net showing him in uniform (Dodgers and Tigers) and the guy in the photo is a little plumper than Chuck Dressen. I'd have to see who his coaches were. The guy is too old to be a player, and the car is a '53, so I think it could be said he was a coach on the '52 or/or '53 teams.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

That doesn't look like a period photo to me... the style of the jacket (with the rainbow elastic bands at the bottom and on the ends of the sleeves) looks like late 1970s, early '80s to me.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That doesn't look like a period photo to me... the style of the jacket (with the rainbow elastic bands at the bottom and on the ends of the sleeves) looks like late 1970s, early '80s to me.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

And the uniform looks like synthetic material rather than a natural type (i.e. wool) that would have been used then.

Comment

And the uniform looks like synthetic material rather than a natural type (i.e. wool) that would have been used then.

Comment

Working...
                              X