R-3 Plenum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-3 Plenum

I have a question ,so you have that large plenumbox on top of the manifold,so whats inside the plenum box ,and where's the carb and linkage?

The carb's inside that box!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

So do you see the carb linkage anywhere? I think a holley wouldn"t work is that right?

Had a 50 packard once.

Comment

I don't know what pic you are looking at, but most good pics of George Krem's '64 Challenger R3 show the linkage coming out through the grommet in the normal left side location, but the box is made for an AFB Carter, so an Edelbrock AFB clone should work, but not likely a leaking float bowl HOLLY!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I was looking at a 1963 R-3 superlark (black in color) from the 2001 national meet. My picture that I took was facing from the passenger front fender and looking down on the engine. Next time I "ll take more pictures of the engine so I don't have to ask. Thanks You know my other picture shows a nother black lark next to it ,it's a 62 lark I guess.

Had a 50 packard once.

Comment

Keep in mind that there were NO factory built 1963 Studebakers with R3 Engine, and only one sold 1964 Lark R3. There are however many R2 1/2 Studebakers we call them, that simply have an air box on an R2, so are not original.

quote:Originally posted by 14x7

I was looking at a 1963 R-3 superlark (black in color) from the 2001 national meet.
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I better whizzle on this fire....[)]
              It probably wouldn't take much to figgurrr whose vehicle that is in the photo, lol

From the photo, the shaft pokes out of the side of the box through the grommet or whatever. Anyway in this case, rather than rely completely on sealing every point on the AFB such as that of the R2 with the bonnet, the whole area in, under and around the carb is pressurized. Of course using AFB and box together is great, but this really simplifies in pressurizing this point of the fuel system. That and oddly enough, they had a hard time keeping seals to the AFB 's with that high output blower they decided to use with the R3's.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

That must be Michael Myer's car, PBR2. It has the only chromed brake booster I've ever seen. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                X