Clutch chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch chatter

I took the 63 out for it's maiden voyage, up & down the street, after several months of complete dis-and-reassembly. Noticed a little clutch chatter in first & reverse and was hoping I might be able to center the housing without pulling the works.
    Anyone ever done this on their back, under the vehicle? Dang, I should have checked this before now!
    It's a six with a T-96 OD. BTW, that OHV makes a big difference in pick-up over the flathead! I love it.

Western Washington, USA

Tom; also keep in mind that uneven clutch pressure plate release levers, not properly adjusted by a sloppy Mfg. or rebuilder can also cause this.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm beginning to think this is the case, Rich.
      I took a shaft out of a junk tranny to check for centering. The fit is tight and I get the same reading all around the housing, to the mm.

I know this is a crude way of dialing in, but I don't have a 1.5" wrench to turn the crank and since the radiator is where it should be, my socket is too big. Since I can't turn the engine, I can't use the dial indicator until I get that wrench.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

If you remove the starter, you can use a big screwdriver as a pry bar to rotate the flywheel.

Comment

Working...
        X