• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 GT is back

Sold last month for $10000

back for $8200

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

And then add on for all the missing engine parts and the need to sleeve the motor and this one will get expensive quickly.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Believe me, I ran the numbers, not enough room for a restoration and resale. Might be fine for someones dream car that has a limited budget with a big investment potential.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I helped to fund a part of Art's R3 Avanti clone when I bought the paperweight LS aluminum R3 heads and water manifold from him a couple of years ago. He seems like a nice enough guy, maybe an offer should be made if you are interested. For sure, Art's friend Nimesh will do a stand up job with the engine.

Probably the best place for a car like that to go is to someone in the business - but when guys like JDP are uninterested you know the value equation is bad. The more likely fate of a car like this is a new owner will dump money and time in the car and he too will sell it before it is completed - realizing that the money will get stupid before it is on the road properly restored. After a couple of owners like that it will once again be a nice car. There will probably even be guys who rue that they passed on it when it was an $8,200 project car.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
        Packrat junk collector
        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

No question Nimesh can build a perfect replacement R2. The one large missing piece is the mention of at what cost. If having Nimesh do it was so easy, it would seem the seller would have just done it himself.

JDP has the parts and the experience to turn around an R2 engine at a cost which could conceivably make a re-sale affordable, but guarantee having any shop, much less Nimesh do it will sink the equation.

One other thing to be considered is the seller makes much of the "matching numbers block." Since the know-how to re-number any block became so common-place, even the 32nd-degree-nut-job Corvette restorers gave up on worrying about that. There is likely more than one JTS restored car already running a re-stamped block. Stude shipped service short blocks without serial numbers so the dealer could stamp the previous block numbers on the replacement. Has anyone seen a service R-series short block without s/n? Let's see, what would be different than a standard 289": cam, cam gear - anything else?

Having said this, installing a couple of sleeves in a block is relatively inexpensive. If the block is in good shape otherwise, that cost isn't going to be the sticking point.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

The very reason that I the seller have not rebuilt the motor and yes it would be easy to let Nimesh do it and we discussed it several times, is trying to pass some savings onto the future owner of this car, maybe they might have donor motor to get some of the missing parts needed which would help to greatly reduce the cost of parts having to be bought. Also I have owned three or four replacement motors and the stamping that was done by the dealers didn't come close to being the correct size, and also being a former 32- degree nut corvette restorer myself matching number blocks are a real concern to any serious collector, and most of the nuts no how to do a simple dye test on the stamping pad that is almost full prove and is used by police and insurance adjusters and is almost always employed when purchasing a high dollar collector car. Nimesh cost to do a complete and correct rebuild to better than factory specs with him supplying all the parts will run 6000.00 to 6500.00, so yes I could do this and pass the cost on to purchaser, or like JDP said there are people out there that have parts and time and a limited budget that might like to properly restore a car that has a great investment potential and they can decide matching numbers or replacement, or Nimesh or JDP or whoever.

art copeland
            art copeland

Comment

Hey Art,
              Great reply. I hope you don't take too much of the banter here personally. Its not intended to be a knock on you, your car or any buyer/seller. Sometimes an item comes into the market which has elements of former sales which will get peoples attention. This forum, for the most part, is a place where people come together to discuss a variety of aspects of the Studebaker market. Your car just happened to come into play, not because anyone is attacking you or your car, but more so to illustrate the impact your circumstances have on the buyer/seller market. Often times certain sales will have within them conditions which are valuable for other potential buyers/sellers to take note of for their own sake. Its simply a way for those on the forum to keep tabs on the "health" of the Stude marketplace. Your potential buyer is more than likely not on this forum anyway. Most here are of the old school Studebaker stock.... cheap. Good luck on the sale.
              sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54
                Most here are of the old school Studebaker stock.... cheap.
                I prefer the term frugal. Just remember, Warren Buffet still lives in the same 10 room house he bought 50 years ago.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Hey Art, glad to see you chime in here. Good luck with the sale.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Art: [u]Good News</u>! I have a few of the engine parts from that car if anyone is interested.

When that engine let go at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, those cleaning the strip gathered up a handful of mangled rod caps, bolts, and assorted schrapnel and put them in the cut-off bottom of a 20-ounce plastic Pepsi bottle. I put that little container in one cup holder of my 2002 Dakota Quad Cab tow vehicle. There they still reside(!) to stimulate conversation and speculation... BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                    X